Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 04:18 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconyte View Post
I know people who had do income verification/recertification in their buildings and others who do not. It depends on what plan I think your building is participating in and perhaps income. again according to the handbook your income can increase to a certain amount before you then are offered market rates or something along those line. They do not just throw you out.
Again....

If someone has a rent regulated apartment, then not a GD thing depends upon their income. Revamp of rent regulations in 2019 removed luxury and vacancy decontrol. Someone could earn one or tens of millions per year and still keep a RC/RS or "affordable/low income" apartment.

Also as stated previously only time income comes into play is if tenant or tenants have some sort of voucher that is household income based. This and or the apartment is some sort of "low income" where rent is based on same. Even in such situations including Mitchell-Lama people aren't usually chucked out into street once income rises above certain limits, but pay a surcharge or something as their income rises out of range.

It is difficult to evict someone in NYC/NYS for not paying rent, how is a LL going to turn around and get someone out just because they earn bank?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2022, 05:01 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,404,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Again....

If someone has a rent regulated apartment, then not a GD thing depends upon their income. Revamp of rent regulations in 2019 removed luxury and vacancy decontrol. Someone could earn one or tens of millions per year and still keep a RC/RS or "affordable/low income" apartment.

Also as stated previously only time income comes into play is if tenant or tenants have some sort of voucher that is household income based. This and or the apartment is some sort of "low income" where rent is based on same. Even in such situations including Mitchell-Lama people aren't usually chucked out into street once income rises above certain limits, but pay a surcharge or something as their income rises out of range.

It is difficult to evict someone in NYC/NYS for not paying rent, how is a LL going to turn around and get someone out just because they earn bank?
Very true .

Old 03-23-2022, 05:30 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
I'll say something else many likely don't want to hear... As with other rent regulated tenants it all is but certain after a period of years good number of "affordable" or whatever lottery tenants will have vastly higher incomes, while OTOH an equally good number will be rent poor. That is latter paying sometimes three-quarters ( or more) of monthly income to stay in said RS apartment.

Again luxury decontrol no longer exists. So people are now free to earn whatever they like, and still keep a RS apartment. Only thing left to LLs is a holdover proceeding for non-primary residence (if say wealthier tenant has a home or homes elsewhere), but even before 2019 few LLs bothered because of expense versus an uncertain outcome in court.

Personally agree with some others in this thread, people who can pay three large or more per month in rent don't need subsidized housing. But new rent laws obviously were meant to get more middle income people to have skin in game. Thus any attempt in future to get rid of RS, or at least return luxury decontrol, won't fly as it would affect a larger subset of RS tenants.

Old 03-23-2022, 06:35 PM

412 posts, read 594,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
I'll say something else many likely don't want to hear... As with other rent regulated tenants it all is but certain after a period of years good number of "affordable" or whatever lottery tenants will have vastly higher incomes, while OTOH an equally good number will be rent poor. That is latter paying sometimes three-quarters ( or more) of monthly income to stay in said RS apartment.

Again luxury decontrol no longer exists. So people are now free to earn whatever they like, and still keep a RS apartment. Only thing left to LLs is a holdover proceeding for non-primary residence (if say wealthier tenant has a home or homes elsewhere), but even before 2019 few LLs bothered because of expense versus an uncertain outcome in court.

Personally agree with some others in this thread, people who can pay three large or more per month in rent don't need subsidized housing. But new rent laws obviously were meant to get more middle income people to have skin in game. Thus any attempt in future to get rid of RS, or at least return luxury decontrol, won't fly as it would affect a larger subset of RS tenants.
I agree. Whether we like it or not, that's how it is currently. I started looking for "affordable housing" about two years ago because I found out an acquaintance got one in a luxury building when he was right out of college making 40% AMI and now makes 130-165 but his rent stayed the same this entire time plus the annual 1, 2 percent. He has no plans to move.
I wish I started looking earlier. If I take any of the new fancy 1 beds, I'll be rent burdened.

Old 03-23-2022, 06:42 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,404,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnt2dh View Post
I agree. Whether we like it or not, that's how it is currently. I started looking for "affordable housing" about two years ago because I found out an acquaintance got one in a luxury building when he was right out of college making 40% AMI and now makes 130-165 but his rent stayed the same this entire time plus the annual 1, 2 percent. He has no plans to move.
I wish I started looking earlier. If I take any of the new fancy 1 beds, I'll be rent burdened.
I started looking about 5 years ago and I’m upset with myself for not staying on top of applying especially during the pandemic. At least 6 people I know won lotteries between 2020 to now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: