Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2022, 09:19 AM

954 posts, read 933,096 times

Advertisements

I am really surprised I thought that as long as you moved in your income can go up but your rent is maxed out for a 1% or 2% increase? I’m starting graduate school in the fall and as part of receiving my Master’s, I have to start working which is going to increase my income again.

The leasing agent said that they urge and recommend prospective tenants to stay at the AMI they are in for that lottery so they can be managed better under the lottery. It’s really turning me off from the process and not making me want to apply for any more lotteries if this is how you’re supposed to be doing things.

So, I was also told that while occupying the lottery apartment you can not under any circumstances become a full time student because when the recertification approaches, you can be denied a lease renewal due to the student status.

I was also told to send in all of these extreme documents which means I agree to what I posted above. Meaning I have to sign saying I won’t ever be full time, I won’t increase my income beyond the AMI and my assets won’t go past a certain amount (I have five figure saved up anyway).

Has anyone else dealt with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2022, 09:22 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,395,327 times
I have a strong feeling this agent is misinformed. From what I've learned they do not continue to check your income after you sign the lease. You can make more money and your rent will stay the same.

Old 03-14-2022, 09:56 AM

4,769 posts, read 6,558,555 times
Wow, this is really bad. It's hard enough to qualify for these apartments. Imagining having to qualify for five years into the future!

Suppose you get married, get divorced, have a child, etc?

I am wondering if this is even legal or something new?

The vast majority of lotteries do not have the obligation to check income every year.

Old 03-14-2022, 10:23 AM

515 posts, read 525,296 times
While I've never heard that you had to stay in the same income after winning.
I have heard that fulltime students are not allowed in low-income units financed with LIHTC or Tax-Exempt Bonds unless they meet one of the IRS exemptions.

So you would need to know what kind of tax exemption your building has and whether you fall under one of the exemptions if you will be a fulltime student.

I suggest you reach out to HPD not the leasing agent for more clarification. Also read through the marketing handbook, I know it touches on this subject but I'm not sure how in-depth it is, which is why HPD will be more help.

Old 03-14-2022, 10:29 AM

2,008 posts, read 1,628,911 times
The information you got might be useful. It might be accurate. But it’s from an agent not from the City.

Old 03-14-2022, 10:40 AM

603 posts, read 599,306 times
You definitely do not need to stay within the AMI after you sign the lease. Make as much money as you can after you get the apartment.

Old 03-14-2022, 10:43 AM

4,769 posts, read 6,558,555 times
Did the agent know that you plan on starting graduate school?

Is your graduate school program full-time?

Old 03-14-2022, 12:34 PM

31 posts, read 30,451 times
Did the rules recently change? Move been in my lottery apartment for the past 13 years and that hasn’t been the case but again it has been a while maybe the rules changed.

Old 03-14-2022, 01:13 PM

49 posts, read 42,071 times
I was told 2 different things for my current building. When submitting my documents in person, I was initially told that my household only needs to qualify income wise through the process and can make as much as we want after signing the lease (and be subject to rent stabilized increases). The reason being lottery apartments should not hinder a family's growth and financial advancements (and ability to eventually move on from the lottery Apt). However, at my lease signing, a different agent told me I have to stay within the income range for as long as I live in the apartment. I asked what happens if I surpass it, and was then told I can still live in the apartment but will have to pay market rate.

Old 03-14-2022, 01:24 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,395,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LlamaDelRey View Post
I was told 2 different things for my current building. When submitting my documents in person, I was initially told that my household only needs to qualify income wise through the process and can make as much as we want after signing the lease (and be subject to rent stabilized increases). The reason being lottery apartments should not hinder a family's growth and financial advancements (and ability to eventually move on from the lottery Apt). However, at my lease signing, a different agent told me I have to stay within the income range for as long as I live in the apartment. I asked what happens if I surpass it, and was then told I can still live in the apartment but will have to pay market rate.
How long have you been there? Have they followed up and asked for proof of income post lease signing?

It just doesn't make sense. These apartments are essentially rent stabilized and a regular non lottery rent stabilized apartment in NYC your landlord is not knocking at your door every lease renewal asking how much you make so they can raise your rent based on your new income. Everything is regulated by the state not by an individuals income

Have a feeling not every agent understands the HPD rules . Especially if its a new agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: