Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 07:54 AM

1,408 posts, read 2,049,060 times

Advertisements

Already applied to Village East and I am actually already on the 1 bed waiting list for Gouveneur Gardens, but the Manhattan Plaza and Ruppert Housing are also good ones (although is Manhattan Plaza all rental or is it coop? I get the error for the announcement as well)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2022, 07:59 AM

345 posts, read 856,766 times
The one thing I don't understand about Mitchell lama is the occupancy limits. You have to have 3 people for a two bedroom.
Can't two brothers have a two bedroom?

Old 03-15-2022, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10025 View Post
The one thing I don't understand about Mitchell lama is the occupancy limits. You have to have 3 people for a two bedroom.
Can't two brothers have a two bedroom?
Actually I think you can, they just word it very badly on the announcements.

Old 03-15-2022, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queen_of_queens View Post
I believe for a 2 bed it has to be two siblings of the opposite sex. It says:

TWO (2) BEDROOM: Three to Five persons. No fewer than three persons, a brother and a sister who are both adults, or a parent or guardian with at least one child.
Ah yeah, that's it, didn't remember the opposite sex part.

Old 03-15-2022, 08:34 AM

38 posts, read 44,180 times
Looking forward to applying - The link to the ads are very unstable, it works sometimes and it doesn't work sometimes.

Interesting that they are all in Manhattan...

Old 03-15-2022, 07:41 PM

290 posts, read 281,361 times
Manhattan Plaza is a rental.

Old 03-16-2022, 06:51 AM

271 posts, read 312,061 times
I’m not really familiar with these kinds of lotteries. When you do get a log number, I’m assuming it will take much longer for a call back for ML? Also for these waitlists, they show what number they are up to so far so I’m confused about where they start back up… do they start from number 1 all over again? Sorry if my question is confusing!

Old 03-16-2022, 07:07 AM

2,121 posts, read 1,724,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenjen23 View Post
I’m not really familiar with these kinds of lotteries. When you do get a log number, I’m assuming it will take much longer for a call back for ML? Also for these waitlists, they show what number they are up to so far so I’m confused about where they start back up… do they start from number 1 all over again? Sorry if my question is confusing!
These ML lotteries tend to have short windows to apply. The log#s come out relatively quickly and are typically capped these days. For example, 300 applicants drawn for a Studio. Also, they tend to divide the lotteries into unit sizes, one lottery for a Studio, another for a 2 bed. Instead of one lottery for a new building with all unit sizes included in a single pool of log#s.

So far as I know, these ML lotteries are all for decades old buildings not new construction. Units are only available as vacancies occur. So even with a low number next in line an applicant has to wait until an existing tenant moves on. They tend to be very good situations so tenants stay along time.

Old 03-16-2022, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by village native View Post
Manhattan Plaza is a rental.
Yeah, just was able to look at it - strangely they have a high minimum income even though the rent is at a level where a lower minimum would still fall under the 30% affordability guideline. And I actually am just outside the income limit so I can't apply anyway although I wasn't going to due to it being a rental that doesn't save me money anyway.

That Ruppert one excites me though.

Old 03-16-2022, 03:31 PM

38 posts, read 44,180 times
I have a question re ML co-ops Can I apply to both the studio and the 2 bedroom because if I can get a 2 bedroom I will ask my parents to move in with me. If I get the studio I will just move in by myself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery