Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 03:35 PM

453 posts, read 498,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by someoneinqueens View Post
I won a unit in this apartment building: https://summitnyc.com/

I've never lurked at penthouses & residences but I did see 2BR, 1BR, & studios (I won an alcove studio unit). Market rate & affordable units have exactly the same layouts, appliances, etc.

Most tenants are celebrities & expatriates so I guess they can afford lavish lifestyle!
Woah, that is beyond fabulous! You really DID win the lottery. So happy for you, internet stranger! Do you get to use the amenities?

Also - celebrities! Any good gossip? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2022, 03:38 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,837,927 times
Thanks! Yes, all tenants have access to all amenities, no difference. Affordable tenants even got some discount on the amenities fee so we pay cheaper than market rate tenants.

Tbh, I don't really recognize any celebrities when we bumped into each other in the elevators or other common areas. I only noticed when Summit reposted their stories etc in their IG then I'd say aha!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinNYC View Post
Woah, that is beyond fabulous! You really DID win the lottery. So happy for you, internet stranger! Do you get to use the amenities?

Also - celebrities! Any good gossip? lol

Old 03-17-2022, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks! Yes, all tenants have access to all amenities, no difference. Affordable tenants even got some discount on the amenities fee so we pay cheaper than market rate tenants.

Tbh, I don't really recognize any celebrities when we bumped into each other in the elevators or other common areas. I only noticed when Summit reposted their stories etc in their IG then I'd say aha!!!
Totally get this. Living in a city, you get used to minding your own business. I don't even recognize half the people I do know when I walk past them in the street

And - glad you can use the amenities! They look beautiful

Old 03-17-2022, 03:49 PM

13 posts, read 10,450 times
I think the market rate in my building is between 2600-2800. Not as high as some of the other high-end, luxury towers, but more than I can comfortably afford.

The rental market in NYC is horrifying right now, so I am here for the rent stabilization, even if it's a smaller unit.

Old 03-17-2022, 03:51 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,398,120 times
Quote:
I won a unit in this apartment building: https://summitnyc.com/

I've never lurked at penthouses & residences but I did see 2BR, 1BR, & studios (I won an alcove studio unit). Market rate & affordable units have exactly the same layouts, appliances, etc.

Most tenants are celebrities & expatriates so I guess they can afford lavish lifestyle!
Wow you really did win the lottery! The AMIs for that building are actually reasonable, it looks beautiful and sounds like an overall great building

Old 03-17-2022, 04:09 PM

I couldn't agree more! I'd say those 130% to 165% AMIs rent prices are not considered 'affordable' anymore but compared to market rates, it's still a good deal because it affects in the long run.

One of the reasons I applied for the housing lottery is to get a rent-stabilized unit & I was lucky it happened to be in the building & area that I wanted to live in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dking77 View Post
I think the market rate in my building is between 2600-2800. Not as high as some of the other high-end, luxury towers, but more than I can comfortably afford.

The rental market in NYC is horrifying right now, so I am here for the rent stabilization, even if it's a smaller unit.

Old 03-17-2022, 04:15 PM

Thanks! Yeah, the lotteries of this building were fair enough actually. During the Phase I lottery (2018) they opened for 40%, 60%, & 130% AMIs. The Phase II was for 120% AMI.

I was lucky to win in the Phase II - 120% AMI, but even if I won in the Phase I under 130% AMI, I would still take it as I really wanted to live in this building & I can never be able to afford it paying market rate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
Wow you really did win the lottery! The AMIs for that building are actually reasonable, it looks beautiful and sounds like an overall great building

Old 03-18-2022, 10:28 AM

214 posts, read 219,461 times
I am in the lower end of the 130% AMI bracket. I only just recently started applying to lotteries again after a pretty significant break once I got my current place, but I've only ever been called for one lottery over the years (after which they told me all units of my size were then filled anyway). I just applied to Gotham Point and got a pathetic 51XXX log number, haha. And I also have city worker preference for the ones that matters for. Still, only one call so far...

My situation right now is a good one though, thankfully. I found a gem of a rent-stabilized 1BR in Astoria for only $1,675 (it's going up a whole $25, but not for another 9 months). It's a decent size, management is solid, and I have no complaints about where I live -- except that it's a long haul to get from Northern Astoria all the way downtown where I work... I'm applying for lotteries with the hope that I can find something decently affordable that makes my commute easier. That said, none of the "affordable" apartments have rent that comes anything near the low price that I pay, so it would have to be a really great situation for me to move. The market rates for the area of Southwest Astoria I'd like to move to (near the ferry) are still cheaper than most of the "affordable" lottery apartments I see. Of course, the MR apartments I'm checking out aren't luxury, so there's that to weigh out, but just as far as pure affordability, I am not giving the win to the lottery system, basically!

Old 03-18-2022, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityWorker4 View Post
I am in the lower end of the 130% AMI bracket. I only just recently started applying to lotteries again after a pretty significant break once I got my current place, but I've only ever been called for one lottery over the years (after which they told me all units of my size were then filled anyway). I just applied to Gotham Point and got a pathetic 51XXX log number, haha. And I also have city worker preference for the ones that matters for. Still, only one call so far...

My situation right now is a good one though, thankfully. I found a gem of a rent-stabilized 1BR in Astoria for only $1,675 (it's going up a whole $25, but not for another 9 months). It's a decent size, management is solid, and I have no complaints about where I live -- except that it's a long haul to get from Northern Astoria all the way downtown where I work... I'm applying for lotteries with the hope that I can find something decently affordable that makes my commute easier. That said, none of the "affordable" apartments have rent that comes anything near the low price that I pay, so it would have to be a really great situation for me to move. The market rates for the area of Southwest Astoria I'd like to move to (near the ferry) are still cheaper than most of the "affordable" lottery apartments I see. Of course, the MR apartments I'm checking out aren't luxury, so there's that to weigh out, but just as far as pure affordability, I am not giving the win to the lottery system, basically!
Thanks! I guess those getting multiple call ups were incredibly lucky. I will say I am surprised your status as a city worker isn't helping - I assumed that would be a shoe in, considering most buildings have 5% reserved for CWs and what % of the population as a whole is a city worker? (Genuinely have no idea but I would guess far below 5%.

One thing I've noticed is that the buildings aimed at only 130% lottery residents don't seem to retain any % for city workers, community board preference, disabilities etc. I'm very curious as to why. I did find some very long-winded developers guide to the lottery process, but it was 100+ pages so I just scanned for the info I was interested (specifically, what's in it for them.) I would love to be a fly on the wall at a meeting between the developers and the city as they hash out the finer details and benefits and so on.

Old 03-18-2022, 11:25 AM

214 posts, read 219,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinNYC View Post
Thanks! I guess those getting multiple call ups were incredibly lucky. I will say I am surprised your status as a city worker isn't helping - I assumed that would be a shoe in, considering most buildings have 5% reserved for CWs and what % of the population as a whole is a city worker? (Genuinely have no idea but I would guess far below 5%.

One thing I've noticed is that the buildings aimed at only 130% lottery residents don't seem to retain any % for city workers, community board preference, disabilities etc. I'm very curious as to why. I did find some very long-winded developers guide to the lottery process, but it was 100+ pages so I just scanned for the info I was interested (specifically, what's in it for them.) I would love to be a fly on the wall at a meeting between the developers and the city as they hash out the finer details and benefits and so on.
I've seen a bunch of people in 130% reference getting several calls, so maybe I'm just unlucky! But honestly, I am in a good situation right now, so I really try not to complain... I am also really sympathetic to the lower AMIs who don't seem to be offered as many opportunities lately. However, being in the LOWER half of the 130% AMI definitely means that while I may be able to technically "afford" some of these apartments, I would never actually PAY that much for them (for instance, a $2500 1BR?!) I mean, I don't want to be a renter forever! So I have to be able to put SOME money away in order to feel comfortable with my monthly expenditure... Plus, as a single person, there are considerations involved there also since there is no sharing the financial burden with bills and such... I didn't notice that about the 130-only posts not including preferences, but I'm sure you're right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery