Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2022, 02:21 PM

214 posts, read 220,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenoxhill_cat View Post
I've decided not to apply for this housing. I personally don't need to live in a high-end luxury building that needs to pay amenities around $75/month... Wish they had a studio unit for $1900-2000 (or some essential amenities require to pay $300/yr) Anyway, still their offer isn't that bad. Good luck to everyone!
I totally get it! It's not exactly a steal. And one year of "free amenities" only includes the gym and the lounge. Everything else will cost ya. And it seems you have to pay $75 after that year just to get "general access to the amenities," THEN still pay per amenity:

- What amenities are at an additional cost?
- ***all prices are subject to change***
- Private Resident Rooftop Pool Club - Please contact us directly for associated fees (* I read it's $795 per season).
- Media Room Rental - $25 / Hour
- Party Room Rental - $100 / Hour
- Recreation Room Rental - $25 / Hour (Minimum 2 hours)
- Business Center access for guests or residents without an amenities pass - $20 / day
- Bike Storage ($15 / Month or $150 / year)
- Public Washer Dryers (Pay by card)

That all adds up to a lot...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2022, 02:40 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,416,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityWorker4 View Post
I totally get it! It's not exactly a steal. And one year of "free amenities" only includes the gym and the lounge. Everything else will cost ya. And it seems you have to pay $75 after that year just to get "general access to the amenities," THEN still pay per amenity:

- What amenities are at an additional cost?
- ***all prices are subject to change***
- Private Resident Rooftop Pool Club - Please contact us directly for associated fees (* I read it's $795 per season).
- Media Room Rental - $25 / Hour
- Party Room Rental - $100 / Hour
- Recreation Room Rental - $25 / Hour (Minimum 2 hours)
- Business Center access for guests or residents without an amenities pass - $20 / day
- Bike Storage ($15 / Month or $150 / year)
- Public Washer Dryers (Pay by card)

That all adds up to a lot...
$795 per season for the pool club!?!? WOW

Honestly I thought living in a luxury building meant that you have these for free due to the rent price lol. I thought wrong

Old 04-28-2022, 02:49 PM

214 posts, read 220,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post

Honestly I thought living in a luxury building meant that you have these for free due to the rent price lol. I thought wrong
I think some places you do get amenities for free, but not here! It's a great location for me so I'm still hoping for it, but it'll definitely be a push for me price wise... It's a tough call. I also wish it were just one lump fee to get to use ALL the amenities instead of this chopped up nonsense where you have to pick and choose.

Old 04-28-2022, 02:53 PM

71 posts, read 65,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenspilled View Post
I applied. Definitely a sham to call this affordable, though the promise of rent stabilization in a new construction still makes it worth it for many who fall within the brackets. I would imagine a lot of developers are trying to beat the clock on inevitable 421a reform, which probably won't be a game changer but should bring things down a little on the high end.
What have you heard about 421a reform? I'm currently in one of those buildings and have the date circled on my calendar when rent stabilization ends for me in 2029.

Old 04-28-2022, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIC_Lyfe View Post
What have you heard about 421a reform? I'm currently in one of those buildings and have the date circled on my calendar when rent stabilization ends for me in 2029.
The gov is working on a 485-w proposal. its a replacement for the current 421-a.
""The 2022 proposal retains the structure of the current option A for rental developments with 30 units or more, lowering the income restriction for 5% of the units from 130% of AMI to 80%."
They want to get rid of the 130AMI basically and have more lower AMIs

I posted about it here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...placement.html

Old 04-28-2022, 03:53 PM

453 posts, read 501,356 times
Quote:

Part of me wonders if this is some figurative (yet legal) "poor door" that fancy buildings with lottery units are using to keep the "poors" and any of their "undesirable guests" out of the fancier bits of the building.

Those paying $6-7k a month rent probably wouldn't think twice about forking out $795 to access the gorgeous pool for a season (guessing May to October?) but people living in the same building on a salary of $60k are unlikely to be inclined to pay that. IT'S A FANCY POOL FOR FANCY PEOPLE, DON'T YOU KNOW? Lol

In all seriousness though. I suspect lots of the expensive buildings charge for all the extras - death by a thousand cuts, kind of thing. They know rich people have the money and won't mid paying, so why not? Totally annoying nonetheless.

Old 04-28-2022, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinNYC View Post
Part of me wonders if this is some figurative (yet legal) "poor door" that fancy buildings with lottery units are using to keep the "poors" and any of their "undesirable guests" out of the fancier bits of the building.

Those paying $6-7k a month rent probably wouldn't think twice about forking out $795 to access the gorgeous pool for a season (guessing May to October?) but people living in the same building on a salary of $60k are unlikely to be inclined to pay that. IT'S A FANCY POOL FOR FANCY PEOPLE, DON'T YOU KNOW? Lol

In all seriousness though. I suspect lots of the expensive buildings charge for all the extras - death by a thousand cuts, kind of thing. They know rich people have the money and won't mid paying, so why not? Totally annoying nonetheless.
Ahahahahahha, yeah I feel like it’s the same as the whole poor door situation. They 100% know m rich ppl are willing to fork this kind of money over. Still can’t get over the amount for pool access . That number is crazy lol

Old 04-28-2022, 04:29 PM

246 posts, read 236,716 times
Quote:

You probably can't find any luxury buildings that offer amenities for free. I have a few friends living in so-called luxury buildings and they usually pay $30-90/month (per person) for using amenities. AND don't forget about fees for pets (if it's applicable). For e.g. one of my friends is paying $70/month for amenities and also $300/yr for her dog.

Old 04-28-2022, 04:35 PM

453 posts, read 501,356 times
Quote:
Ahahahahahha, yeah I feel like it’s the same as the whole poor door situation. They 100% know m rich ppl are willing to fork this kind of money over. Still can’t get over the amount for pool access . That number is crazy lol
It is insane!

If I was considering paying that I'd rather just pay for the membership to SoHo house ($1200 for young 'uns and $2400 for 27+) which gives year round access to gorgeous pools and spas all over the world, along with their lounges, hotels, restaurants, free events and screenings etc, plus the likelihood of running into celebrities. Seems much better value than paying $800 for one random pool in astoria (no offense to Astoria)

Old 04-28-2022, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenoxhill_cat View Post
You probably can't find any luxury buildings that offer amenities for free. I have a few friends living in so-called luxury buildings and they usually pay $30-90/month (per person) for using amenities. AND don't forget about fees for pets (if it's applicable). For e.g. one of my friends is paying $70/month for amenities and also $300/yr for her dog.
I didn’t even think about pets that’s doing a lot in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery