Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 09:14 AM

50 posts, read 36,841 times

Advertisements

As the title says, I was rejected since my holiday bonus pushed me out of the income range. Is it worth appealing? How should I word my appeal? I don't see how I can provide supporting documents for this.

My holiday bonus can barely pay a few months at my current place..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2022, 09:32 AM

168 posts, read 195,196 times
I'm sorry to hear that. Years ago, i went through this and my appeal was denied!! What i don't understand is, the bonus is a one time payment received at the end of the year. Its not like the bonus is every month. You literally can't do a thing with it smh. They stated that it has to fit in the income range i applied for. Things could have changed over the years so Its worth a shot.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:40 AM

wow! it is a bit comforting to know someone else has been through this. I will definitely appeal because why not? but I am lost on what to say in a professional way.
I also feel that they may have calculated my avg. gross income wrong since I cannot see what calculations they did to get their number. No matter what numbers I include I never get the number they provided me with.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:52 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,397,082 times
I'm very curious as to how they calculate bonus' and overtime. I'm scared to be working too much overtime incase it puts me over.

I read on a thread from a few years ago when you get over time they calculate it as gross pay which doesn't really make sense to me since over time is taxed as well.

How much were you over for your income if you don't mind me asking and for which AMI?

They need to be more transparent about how they calculate income.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:56 AM

2,017 posts, read 1,633,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feb2022HL View Post
As the title says, I was rejected since my holiday bonus pushed me out of the income range. Is it worth appealing? How should I word my appeal? I don't see how I can provide supporting documents for this.

My holiday bonus can barely pay a few months at my current place..
Appeal. Your employer’s HR office should be able to help you with pay records and that this bonus was not regular wages or salary or commissions.

Consult the handbook to see what it says about how to appeal.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:57 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,563,439 times
Overtime and bonuses are tricky. You can make a case that your bonus is sporadic or non-recurring income. Here's the Marketing Handbook. It says non-recurring income may be excluded.

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/down...g-handbook.pdf

Old 03-24-2022, 09:59 AM

They calculated that I am above the 70% AMI by ~$300 without the bonus. Then when they add the one time bonus of course it pushes me further away by a few thousand.

BUT when I calculate my gross income based on the 6 paystubs given in I never get the number they do. I always get a lower number that DOES keep me in the bracket minus the bonus (I even calculated it 4 different ways in case maybe they leave out some values idk).

It's all really frustrating

Old 03-24-2022, 10:03 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,563,439 times
On the six pay stubs, are the amounts all the same (excluding the bonus)?

Old 03-24-2022, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
On the six pay stubs, are the amounts all the same (excluding the bonus)?
Yes they are roughly the same. When they are different they are different by less than $250

Old 03-24-2022, 10:10 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,397,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feb2022HL View Post
They calculated that I am above the 70% AMI by ~$300 without the bonus. Then when they add the one time bonus of course it pushes me further away by a few thousand.

BUT when I calculate my gross income based on the 6 paystubs given in I never get the number they do. I always get a lower number that DOES keep me in the bracket minus the bonus (I even calculated it 4 different ways in case maybe they leave out some values idk).

It's all really frustrating
Hm yeah it sounds very frustrating. Also 100% fight it because it should be considered non-recurring income:

"G. SPORADIC OR NON-RECURRING INCOME
Certain forms of income that are sporadic and non-recurring are not considered
when calculating maximum household income as they are considered temporary
in nature. Examples of sporadic or non-recurring income include one-time gifts or
lump-sum inheritance payments. All sources of income must be disclosed, but
such non-recurring income may be excluded from the income calculation."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery