Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 12:25 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,398,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acave123 View Post
You also have to remember, let’s say you have a log number of 6,000. 3,000 out of that 6,000 might not even qualify when they submit paperwork and maybe 500 people out of that 3,000 withdraw there application for various reasons.
Yeah, thats why I think log numbers under 20k are still good. You never know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2022, 01:23 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,862,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
Yeah, thats why I think log numbers under 20k are still good. You never know.
The log number for my second choice is a little over 22K but with 48 one bedroom apts - still hoping I have a shot. The lottery for my first choice just closed and log numbers haven't been posted yet I can't have any thoughts about that until I see that log number....

Old 04-26-2022, 11:17 AM

333 posts, read 255,746 times
I've seen some people tell interesting experiences so don't lose hope!

Old 04-27-2022, 07:52 AM

33 posts, read 30,034 times
Quote:
I think you should still have hope for Altvista, Rose Castle , Montieth and 30 Kent St. I think a lot of people end up turning down or rejecting units and the numbers you have for those arent horrible. I have around the same one for 30 Kent and Monteith.

Also if you have been applying for a couple of years don't forget about the ones you've applied to in the past. I got an email last year about a building I applied to in 2018. They had finally reached my log # 40,XXX no CB (the unit was for a higher AMI that I did not qualify for) If you look at the old housing connect website : https://a806-housingconnect.nyc.gov/...tery.html#home

They show you a list of which ones you applied to and if they are in the process of selecting people so you can also still have a shot at those.
Hi do you know what the status "Tenant Selection In Progress" or "Lease-Up Completed" on the old housing connect website means? on older lotteries from a few years ago.

Old 04-27-2022, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscesx3 View Post
Hi do you know what the status "Tenant Selection In Progress" or "Lease-Up Completed" on the old housing connect website means? on older lotteries from a few years ago.
yeah I saw your question in another thread and answered. I'll put it here as well for anyone else : "Tenant Selection In Progress" means they are going through log numbers and reaching out to fill vacant units. One of mine had said that and I was contacted. "Lease-Up Completed" means there are no vacant units and they are not contacting anyone

Old 04-27-2022, 08:03 AM

33 posts, read 30,034 times
Quote:
yeah I saw your question in another thread and answered. I'll put it here as well for anyone else : "Tenant Selection In Progress" means they are going through log numbers and reaching out to fill vacant units. One of mine had said that and I was contacted. "Lease-Up Completed" means there are no vacant units and they are not contacting anyone
Oh thank you so much I appreciate it, I didn't see the other reply but thank you again for clearing that up. I have 3 lotteries from 2-3 years ago that have "Tenant Selection" status. The log # are

58,XXX
13,XXX
8,4XX

Old 04-27-2022, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscesx3 View Post
Oh thank you so much I appreciate it, I didn't see the other reply but thank you again for clearing that up. I have 3 lotteries from 2-3 years ago that have "Tenant Selection" status. The log # are

58,XXX
13,XXX
8,4XX
Anytime! What I do with those is try and see if there is a thread here about it by searching the address and seeing where they left of or if anyone recently has been contacted because there is no real way to see what log number they last ended at.
Best of luck!

Old 04-27-2022, 08:20 AM

30 posts, read 21,265 times
Ever since late last year I’m unable login to the old housing connect website. I tried emailing for help but got nothing. I think I get a ‘account inactive’ error page. Never got a call or email from any lottery so I’m not missing anything I guess…

Old 04-27-2022, 08:37 AM

264 posts, read 313,292 times
IMO, if you have a high log number, low AMI and no preferences, it is extremely difficult to win any of these lotteries. The problem is there are far more people on the lower end that need housing—more competition. Combine that with these projects putting less apartments in the lower AMIs and it’s a recipe for stress and aggravation.

A good way to give yourself a chance is to pay attention to the projects where the most apartments in the lower AMIs are available. Right now, affordable housing seems laser-focused on these 421-a buildings, so the higher AMIs are reaping the benefits even though those apartments are harder to fill. I believe this will change - when housing connect first started, low income households were the focus and I think more buildings will come up for that at some point. Another way to get a better chance is to sign up for re-rentals if you haven’t already. What I’m noticing on these forums is that more low-mid income folks are being contacted for them because many of the buildings from the old housing connect are starting to see turnover with families moving out and opting for projects with more amenities - the majority of those buildings were under programs like ELLA, LAMP, mixed-income or 80/20, not 421-a. And of course, keep your eye on the re-rentals listed on the NYCHDC website…a bunch of them are up right now and you can apply without waiting to be contacted.

I hope things start to go your way soon. Best of luck!!

Old 04-27-2022, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGC74 View Post
IMO, if you have a high log number, low AMI and no preferences, it is extremely difficult to win any of these lotteries. The problem is there are far more people on the lower end that need housing—more competition. Combine that with these projects putting less apartments in the lower AMIs and it’s a recipe for stress and aggravation.

A good way to give yourself a chance is to pay attention to the projects where the most apartments in the lower AMIs are available. Right now, affordable housing seems laser-focused on these 421-a buildings, so the higher AMIs are reaping the benefits even though those apartments are harder to fill. I believe this will change - when housing connect first started, low income households were the focus and I think more buildings will come up for that at some point. Another way to get a better chance is to sign up for re-rentals if you haven’t already. What I’m noticing on these forums is that more low-mid income folks are being contacted for them because many of the buildings from the old housing connect are starting to see turnover with families moving out and opting for projects with more amenities - the majority of those buildings were under programs like ELLA, LAMP, mixed-income or 80/20, not 421-a. And of course, keep your eye on the re-rentals listed on the NYCHDC website…a bunch of them are up right now and you can apply without waiting to be contacted.

I hope things start to go your way soon. Best of luck!!
yeah I agree with this and if the new proposed replacement for 421-a goes through there will be a change is the AMI options that these buildings have (basically more options for the lower AMIs and no longer the 130AMI option), I spoke on it in this thread : https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...placement.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery