Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2021, 05:05 AM

394 posts, read 569,022 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I wanted to know if anyone has any success stories with winning a housing lottery apartment or even being contacted if they qualify for an apartment under the 100% ami bracket. I could use the encouragement to keep applying lol. I’ve noticed that although these are market as “affordable nyc housing” a lot of the posting are aimed to people in a higher yearly income bracket even with the current state of the economy.
At this point I would love to read some success that anyone may have had or is in the process. Seems like they wait until every unit is filled before giving someone in the 50%, 60%, 90% bracket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2021, 06:59 AM

515 posts, read 525,134 times
I recently won. 80% AMI. This was the highest AMI I have been called for that I qualified for. In the past whenever I was going for a lower AMI I always got waitlisted.
I've been applying for almost 6 years and this was my first win, so don't give up hope.

Old 04-15-2021, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimilove View Post
I recently won. 80% AMI. This was the highest AMI I have been called for that I qualified for. In the past whenever I was going for a lower AMI I always got waitlisted.
I've been applying for almost 6 years and this was my first win, so don't give up hope.
Thanks for the encouragement. Congrats on winning too. I guess I shouldn’t give up lol. Kinda also disappointing that nothing comes from the waitlist too lol

Old 04-15-2021, 09:35 AM

60 posts, read 49,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RentingNYC View Post
Thanks for the encouragement. Congrats on winning too. I guess I shouldn’t give up lol. Kinda also disappointing that nothing comes from the waitlist too lol
i've been applying to these things since they were called 80/20 lotteries in the 90's! i finally won recently for the first time (second time contacted), in the 60% ami bracket, so keep hope alive!

Old 04-15-2021, 09:56 AM

4,768 posts, read 6,555,721 times
Yes, there are more lotteries today geared toward the higher brackets, which is a shame because these apartments are just too expensive.

Plus, depending on where you currently live, the phasing out of community preference is either a good thing or a bad thing.

Be that as it may, there is still cause for hope, as eastvillager2020 says!

Old 04-15-2021, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastvillager2020 View Post
i've been applying to these things since they were called 80/20 lotteries in the 90's! i finally won recently for the first time (second time contacted), in the 60% ami bracket, so keep hope alive!
Wow since the 90’s. Smh. You wining in the 60% does give me hope. Thanks for the encouragement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: