Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2022, 10:32 AM

9 posts, read 8,651 times

Advertisements

Hey! Can somebody explain me what it mean if I have a low log#
I got one before 30
It’s that’s good? Better chance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2022, 01:42 PM

24 posts, read 15,147 times
That is an excellent number! Depending on how many units are available you might be contacted sooner rather than later! Many log numbers are as high as 70,000 so less than 30 is super rare around here.

Old 03-26-2022, 02:25 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,626,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoosantana93 View Post
I got one before 30
Low log # is always good. But your chance can be better in particular circumstances. It’s a better chance if the lottery has many apartment units. There are lotteries for over 200 apartment units, and other lotteries for only one apartment.

Also, the size of the units matter. How many apartments are there which are of the size you applied for? The more apartments in your size then better the chance.

There are also preference categories for some lotteries but not all lotteries. You should examine the lottery and see if preferences categories exist or not. Typically, preference is for the first few units are awarded to applicants with mobility, hearing, and vision disabilities. If that is true, the lowest log# with the qualified disability applicant goes ahead of all other numbers; the log# might be #9000 but because it’s the lowest with a disability it goes ahead of log #1.

Typically, the biggest preference category is Community Board, it can be as many as half the units, but not all lotteries have it. The Community Board is a district where the building is located. If your application has your home inside the Community Board your chance is better. It means your log# goes ahead of lower log#s even log# 1 if it does not have Community Board preference.

Even if preference categories are used and you don’t qualify for them your less than 30 log# is good because once the all the preferences are satisfied the next apartment goes to the lowest remaining log#.

Also, all the log# lower than yours are not necessary valid. Some log#s might not respond to the lottery or be disqualified somehow. Some log# will not like the building or not like the location or not like the apartment or not like the price.

Good luck and good patience. There is often a long wait even with low log#s. Some new buildings might not be ready yet for people to live there.

Old 03-26-2022, 09:45 PM

954 posts, read 932,592 times
A low log number means nothing. It’s a lottery.

Old 03-26-2022, 10:04 PM

603 posts, read 598,964 times
Quote:
I got one before 30
Very good chance!

Old 03-27-2022, 04:39 PM

24 posts, read 15,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani15 View Post
A low log number means nothing. It’s a lottery.
Honestly judging by your post history you seem salty. Low log numbers = higher probability of being asked to submit documentation. That’s where the lottery aspect ends. Please read the marketing handbook.

Old 03-27-2022, 05:03 PM

Quote:
I got one before 30
Do you want to share with us what lottery building? It’s not recommend that you tell the world what your exact log # is.

Old 03-27-2022, 06:21 PM

Quote:
I got one before 30
You may want to familiarize yourself with the documentation and paperwork.
https://www1.nyc.gov/site/hpd/servic...documents.page

There is help available with this. There groups for people whose first language is not English.
https://www1.nyc.gov/site/hpd/servic...bassadors.page

Old 04-27-2022, 07:51 PM

92 posts, read 78,377 times
Hi, can I ask why do people hide their lottery numbers here? I see people putting xx on their numbers. I follow suit because I assume there is a reason why they want to hide their numbers, but I never know why.

Old 04-28-2022, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpower View Post
Hi, can I ask why do people hide their lottery numbers here? I see people putting xx on their numbers. I follow suit because I assume there is a reason why they want to hide their numbers, but I never know why.
I am not precisely sure myself but it seems like a very good idea. ID theft is real. Also, many things get said in posts re family and personal circumstances get mentioned in posts. Your present landlord or roommate might be reading.

I suppose, if you can be identified by log# then you can be investigated if a flaw in your application if suspected. If you trash the lottery, agency, The City, the building, and many people do that here, then people working on your file might slow-walk it. If I see your log# is just ahead of mine, and I have not told my log# I might be tempted to write bad things about the building to discourage you. Just thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery