Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2022, 05:50 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,464,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonemously View Post
Thank you so much, so sweet of you! I always get a little sad when people think of the Bronx that way. (Don’t get me wrong, there are areas that I would never step foot in!) But if you know your way around you can end up in a really nice area that’s next to a subway line 25 mins away from the heart of the city.

Funnily enough, of the 6 lotteries I’ve been contacted for, only 1 is in the Bronx. And I just got HPD approval today for my first choice in Harlem - so I think your well wishes worked!

Good luck, I hope you and your husband find a place you both enjoy and feel safe in. I know that’s really hard to find nowadays!
Congrats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2022, 05:53 PM

2,184 posts, read 1,902,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah29_ View Post
This is really sweet...

Im having anxiety and paranoia about whether i'll be accepted into any of the lotterries i have been applying for. I have had documents requesting for a couple buildings i am not a HUGE fan of, but its all pending .. the kicker is that my lease is up in a month for my current apartment, and i dont know what the next step should be as far as renting another apartment...

I dont know if i should start another lease with this stupidly inflated market we have right now, or wait for a lottery apartment.. and then if i do start another lease, and a lottery apartment moves forward with me, breaking my lease would be a pain in the ass..

Anyones advise is welcome XOXO
I feel your pain. I was contacted for the only I really want and if all goes well, my next hurdle will be getting out of my lease. I don’t want to reach out to management yet as it’s still so early in the process. I’ve gone through this once before and that was hard enough but now this somehow feels worse because I really want this one. I’m trying to manage my expectations and just go through the process…

Old 04-04-2022, 05:56 PM

24 posts, read 15,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
Congrats!
Thanks!

Old 04-04-2022, 06:18 PM

453 posts, read 510,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonemously View Post
Thank you so much, so sweet of you! I always get a little sad when people think of the Bronx that way. (Don’t get me wrong, there are areas that I would never step foot in!) But if you know your way around you can end up in a really nice area that’s next to a subway line 25 mins away from the heart of the city.

Funnily enough, of the 6 lotteries I’ve been contacted for, only 1 is in the Bronx. And I just got HPD approval today for my first choice in Harlem - so I think your well wishes worked!

Good luck, I hope you and your husband find a place you both enjoy and feel safe in. I know that’s really hard to find nowadays!
Oh, wow - in that case, you are just a lucky person!

Yeah, I know what you mean, I don't think he has even actually been there and I was saying I am sure there are both dodgy pockets and nice bits as well (not to mention, isn't super-fancy Riverdale in the Bronx?) It probably just takes some time to learn which bits are the nice ones. With how rental prices are going in Brooklyn lately I think we are silly not to explore all our options.

There was a lottery in Mott Haven and the building looks stunning, and they threw in loads of free months and moving fees and a $1,000 grocery voucher... but then my husband heard the name and was like "yeah...they better throw in a pink AK as well!" (From the crime stats it looked a bit...murdery). To be fair, we did both live in stupidly safe Tokyo for a long time, and he told me when he moved back here he felt like EVERYwhere was dangerous! The most dangerous thing you see in Tokyo is some young punk crossing the road when the man is red, lol.

Old 04-27-2022, 08:23 PM

92 posts, read 82,317 times
Guys, I found a link with a list of all the documents you may need. I found this really REALLY helpful. If I were you, I'd get these documents as soon as possible and upload them to your housing connect account under documents. Then have a backup digital copy on some form of cloud storage (i use google drive). This way you can send your documents from anywhere, anytime if asked.

Knowing that I'm fully prepared really eased a lot of stress! I think the worst thing that could happen, is getting rejected because you didn't hand in a document on time. Get prepared now, so you won't have to feel the stress later.

Here's the link:
https://www1.nyc.gov/site/hpd/servic...documents.page

Last edited by kpower; 04-27-2022 at 08:33 PM..

Old 04-27-2022, 08:38 PM

50 posts, read 38,210 times
why the disclaimer that agents view this forum? are we not supposed to be discussing the process? could we be penalized for sharing details?

Old 04-27-2022, 08:39 PM

50 posts, read 38,210 times
ive tried to be detailed ab my experience with a specific lottery so far but now this has me wondering if i should delete ? or maybe im being paranoid rn

Old 04-27-2022, 10:45 PM

139 posts, read 145,782 times
Every time I look at my log numbers, I'm discouraged. I've been applying for years and nothing. I thought since I just got a full-time job with better pay and since it's just me at the moment, it would be easier to win a lottery, but I feel that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Old 04-28-2022, 04:04 AM

333 posts, read 266,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feb2022HL View Post
why the disclaimer that agents view this forum? are we not supposed to be discussing the process? could we be penalized for sharing details?
I'm also wondering

Old 04-28-2022, 04:12 AM

2,178 posts, read 1,797,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feb2022HL View Post
Some people openly trash agents, agencies, buildings, the City. It’s more polite to not do that. It doesn’t motivate anyone to work faster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery