Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2022, 11:51 AM

43 posts, read 37,960 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone

I figured I'd open this up for people to voice their concerns, feedback, experiences and whatever else they want to share.

Some times, it's great to just have someone to talk to and lean on. We are all very anxious about these lotteries. So instead of obsessing over the housing connect site. Let's talk to each other.

Let's share what buildings we want and why
Let's share how we are feeling
Let's share horror stories
Let's share success stories
Let's share waiting list and no units stories
Let's just share!

Positivity ONLY, this is a safe space
PLEASE DONT SHARE YOUR FULL LOG NUMBER MARKETING AGENTS DO LOOK ON THIS SITE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2022, 03:43 PM

89 posts, read 89,023 times
It’s been very frustrating dealing with Housing Connect. I’m applying as an individual ME within 60-80% AMI. I’ve been applying since the old website(I wasn’t a ME on the old website) I’ve never been asked to submit documents for any unit. My dream unit is 1089 President since it is in the neighborhood I grew up in, I have relatively low log number for that 8XX. Plus, I’d been able to afford the rent by myself as well as utilities. Almost all of my applications say “submitted” I’ve been trying to stay positive but a lot of these management companies do not give any updates of any of the units. This forum has been very knowledgeable but, it’s heartbreaking to see so many people getting emailed for documents when it’s never happened to me. I know it’s a lottery, but still.

Old 04-03-2022, 04:02 PM

153 posts, read 182,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed1010 View Post
Hey everyone

I figured I'd open this up for people to voice their concerns, feedback, experiences and whatever else they want to share.

Some times, it's great to just have someone to talk to and lean on. We are all very anxious about these lotteries. So instead of obsessing over the housing connect site. Let's talk to each other.

Let's share what buildings we want and why
Let's share how we are feeling
Let's share horror stories
Let's share success stories
Let's share waiting list and no units stories
Let's just share!

Positivity ONLY, this is a safe space
PLEASE DONT SHARE YOUR FULL LOG NUMBER MARKETING AGENTS DO LOOK ON THIS SITE
This is really sweet...

Im having anxiety and paranoia about whether i'll be accepted into any of the lotterries i have been applying for. I have had documents requesting for a couple buildings i am not a HUGE fan of, but its all pending .. the kicker is that my lease is up in a month for my current apartment, and i dont know what the next step should be as far as renting another apartment...

I dont know if i should start another lease with this stupidly inflated market we have right now, or wait for a lottery apartment.. and then if i do start another lease, and a lottery apartment moves forward with me, breaking my lease would be a pain in the ass..

Anyones advise is welcome XOXO

Old 04-03-2022, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaWin05 View Post
It’s been very frustrating dealing with Housing Connect. I’m applying as an individual ME within 60-80% AMI. I’ve been applying since the old website(I wasn’t a ME on the old website) I’ve never been asked to submit documents for any unit. My dream unit is 1089 President since it is in the neighborhood I grew up in, I have relatively low log number for that 8XX. Plus, I’d been able to afford the rent by myself as well as utilities. Almost all of my applications say “submitted” I’ve been trying to stay positive but a lot of these management companies do not give any updates of any of the units. This forum has been very knowledgeable but, it’s heartbreaking to see so many people getting emailed for documents when it’s never happened to me. I know it’s a lottery, but still.
Hi and thanks for your response!

So I went and checked the apartments at 1089 President Street on Housing Connect for the 60% AMI. I'm not sure if it's just you but I came up with the following information;

There are 6 studios, 24 one bedrooms, 8 two bedrooms and 1 three bedroom. You need to look at it like this;
Half of the apartments in each category you CANNOT get, so just imagine they don't exist. You aren't currently living in that community board and half of each apartments go to community board members.

So that leaves you with 3 studios, 12 one bedrooms, 4 two bedrooms and 1 three bedroom. You can cross out the three bedroom because it will go to a cb, hands down.

Now with the remaining units there's 5% for mobility, 2% for vision and hearing and 5% for ME. This is where you would fit in.

Now all buildings must start off with disability preferences and then community board. They may also process the general population at the same time, however they CANNOT process them for a unit set aside for disability or ME, even if they have CB.

You will have log numbers under you and everyone is given 10 days to submit documents. Now here's where it gets tricky and long winded. They give people 10 days to submit documents. Now if they ask for more documents they give you 10 more days. Anytime they ask you for a different set of documents they give that person 10 more days.

So if a person doesn't have their documents in order, the process for process one person can last for weeks. They can always process other people in the same category during this time. However their paperwork will get put on hold with HPD as HPD ONLY processes applications in log order. Which is why so many people wait weeks for HPD approval.

Now it is not my intention to discourage you or add to your pain. I'm actually trying to give you hope. You still have a chance but again it's all on what's available at the time your number is called. Please keep the faith and know that everything and I mean everything works out in time. Trust me I understand the fear of the unknown and also the fear of waiting in vain.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any other questions or concerns. I have a wealth of knowledge and information. Although I don't know everything lol

Old 04-03-2022, 05:16 PM

89 posts, read 89,023 times
Thank you for the break down. For 1089 President I have ME and CB preference and qualify for a studio or one bedroom but, my log number was not reached. A lot of the lotteries I applied for just says submitted. The website doesn’t give any updates on whether or not they’ve already filled all the units. I’m trying to keep hope alive but I have to move out of my apartment in August. It’s hard knowing without HC, I cannot afford to live on my own, even though I work for NYC.

It seems like when I have relatively “low” log numbers the lotteries have a small number of units available. Yet, when they are a lot of units available. My log numbers are in the 10,000’s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed1010 View Post
Hi and thanks for your response!

So I went and checked the apartments at 1089 President Street on Housing Connect for the 60% AMI. I'm not sure if it's just you but I came up with the following information;

There are 6 studios, 24 one bedrooms, 8 two bedrooms and 1 three bedroom. You need to look at it like this;
Half of the apartments in each category you CANNOT get, so just imagine they don't exist. You aren't currently living in that community board and half of each apartments go to community board members.

So that leaves you with 3 studios, 12 one bedrooms, 4 two bedrooms and 1 three bedroom. You can cross out the three bedroom because it will go to a cb, hands down.

Now with the remaining units there's 5% for mobility, 2% for vision and hearing and 5% for ME. This is where you would fit in.

Now all buildings must start off with disability preferences and then community board. They may also process the general population at the same time, however they CANNOT process them for a unit set aside for disability or ME, even if they have CB.

You will have log numbers under you and everyone is given 10 days to submit documents. Now here's where it gets tricky and long winded. They give people 10 days to submit documents. Now if they ask for more documents they give you 10 more days. Anytime they ask you for a different set of documents they give that person 10 more days.

So if a person doesn't have their documents in order, the process for process one person can last for weeks. They can always process other people in the same category during this time. However their paperwork will get put on hold with HPD as HPD ONLY processes applications in log order. Which is why so many people wait weeks for HPD approval.

Now it is not my intention to discourage you or add to your pain. I'm actually trying to give you hope. You still have a chance but again it's all on what's available at the time your number is called. Please keep the faith and know that everything and I mean everything works out in time. Trust me I understand the fear of the unknown and also the fear of waiting in vain.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any other questions or concerns. I have a wealth of knowledge and information. Although I don't know everything lol

Old 04-03-2022, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaWin05 View Post
Thank you for the break down. For 1089 President I have ME and CB preference and qualify for a studio or one bedroom but, my log number was not reached. A lot of the lotteries I applied for just says submitted. The website doesn’t give any updates on whether or not they’ve already filled all the units. I’m trying to keep hope alive but I have to move out of my apartment in August. It’s hard knowing without HC, I cannot afford to live on my own, even though I work for NYC.

It seems like when I have relatively “low” log numbers the lotteries have a small number of units available. Yet, when they are a lot of units available. My log numbers are in the 10,000’s.
My apologies, I thought you just wanted to move back to the area. I didn't know you were in that exact community board.

Yes I've notices that as well. Smaller buildings give me smaller numbers too, but there aren't many units.

I would still say don't give up hope. They can very well contact you at a later time. They have to get through the lower cb and preference log numbers first. They may just move very slowly, a lot of companies do.

However you are right, we can't see if the lottery lease up is completed or if they are still selecting tenants like on the old site. I believe this just makes this so way more frustrating.

Kmp I would love to know WHEN you move in
I'm speaking it into existence for you

Old 04-03-2022, 08:05 PM

2,114 posts, read 1,717,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah29_ View Post
This is really sweet...

Im having anxiety and paranoia about whether i'll be accepted into any of the lotterries i have been applying for. I have had documents requesting for a couple buildings i am not a HUGE fan of, but its all pending .. the kicker is that my lease is up in a month for my current apartment, and i dont know what the next step should be as far as renting another apartment...

I dont know if i should start another lease with this stupidly inflated market we have right now, or wait for a lottery apartment.. and then if i do start another lease, and a lottery apartment moves forward with me, breaking my lease would be a pain in the ass..

Anyones advise is welcome XOXO
I suspect you want to renew your lease for a year or start a short lease someplace else. Having to break a lease to move into a quality lottery apartment is a pretty good pain in the axx to get.

Wishing to win a housing lottery is wishing for a lot. Wishing that you win to suit your current lease is wishing for even more. Do you even know if the lottery building will be taking new tenants next month? Winning a lottery unit does not necessary mean you get to move in on the first of the next month. The building or unit might not be ready yet or whatever.

Has anyone at a lottery building told you directly that you near to being offered a unit?

I hope I have not been negative. I didn’t mean to be.

Old 04-03-2022, 09:23 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,433,344 times
I’m realizing I’m not the only one who has anxiety surrounding this whole process and idk I think it’s safe to say that the fact that all of this is based off a lottery is so rough. When I think of a lottery I think of winning the powerball or something so far out there. Not housing something we all deserve to have and need. My fingers are crossed for all of us who are waiting for this to work out for us!

Old 04-04-2022, 09:43 AM

453 posts, read 504,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
I’m realizing I’m not the only one who has anxiety surrounding this whole process and idk I think it’s safe to say that the fact that all of this is based off a lottery is so rough. When I think of a lottery I think of winning the powerball or something so far out there. Not housing something we all deserve to have and need. My fingers are crossed for all of us who are waiting for this to work out for us!
You're right. The concept of lottery sounds so fun on paper but really it is stressful and fraught with anxiety. Decent, affordable housing is something that everyone should have! I checked to see if log numbers were out for 3 lotteries just now (2 weeks after they ended) and my heart was thumping! Slightly silly really but it is hard not to get our hopes up.

Old 04-04-2022, 09:53 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,433,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinNYC View Post
You're right. The concept of lottery sounds so fun on paper but really it is stressful and fraught with anxiety. Decent, affordable housing is something that everyone should have! I checked to see if log numbers were out for 3 lotteries just now (2 weeks after they ended) and my heart was thumping! Slightly silly really but it is hard not to get our hopes up.
I know that feeling! A few lotteries I applied to ended Friday/during this past weekend. I'm sitting here trying not to check if log numbers have been posted throughout this week, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery