Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2022, 06:56 PM

58 posts, read 31,616 times

Advertisements

Hello! I was recently emailed saying that they had reached my number on the waitlist for rerentals in a building, and asked me to reaffirm my interest which I immediately did. The next day they sent me an application to fill out which I submitted within one hour of receiving it. Does anyone know if this means I'm in the running to get a unit soon? They stated in their first email that there are two vacancies right now that I should qualify for based on my income.

Also, I am self employed, which means that my income is a projection rather than a definite number. This is my first year earning most of my income from this business, and I want to make sure that I calculate my projections properly. I was on unemployment for most of 2020 and 2021 so I feel like those years aren't as relevant as 2018-2019 were for my income: when averaging those two years, I meet the requirement. And based on my own projections I also meet the requirement, but I'm not sure how they will assess it. Any other self employed people who've made it through the process and can give any info? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2022, 07:38 PM

60 posts, read 49,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azimazi View Post
Hello! I was recently emailed saying that they had reached my number on the waitlist for rerentals in a building, and asked me to reaffirm my interest which I immediately did. The next day they sent me an application to fill out which I submitted within one hour of receiving it. Does anyone know if this means I'm in the running to get a unit soon? They stated in their first email that there are two vacancies right now that I should qualify for based on my income.

Also, I am self employed, which means that my income is a projection rather than a definite number. This is my first year earning most of my income from this business, and I want to make sure that I calculate my projections properly. I was on unemployment for most of 2020 and 2021 so I feel like those years aren't as relevant as 2018-2019 were for my income: when averaging those two years, I meet the requirement. And based on my own projections I also meet the requirement, but I'm not sure how they will assess it. Any other self employed people who've made it through the process and can give any info? Thanks in advance!
i'm self-employed. i had to send them, i think 18 months of my work history (invoices, w-9's and proof of payments) and then they did an estimate. the whole process took a few months. good luck!

Old 04-20-2022, 07:51 PM

2,021 posts, read 1,636,581 times
Do a search. Someone did a good post on this in March or April.
Also, consult the Handbook. There is lots of info on income including self employment.
https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/down...g-handbook.pdf

Old 04-20-2022, 07:53 PM

Default my-process-getting-approved-while-self employed

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...hile-self.html

Old 04-21-2022, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastvillager2020 View Post
i'm self-employed. i had to send them, i think 18 months of my work history (invoices, w-9's and proof of payments) and then they did an estimate. the whole process took a few months. good luck!
Thank you for that info! Did you win? Were your own projections close to what they came up with? I’ve read the handbook and I understand there are multiple ways to calculate it but it still doesn’t seem to be an exact science at the moment.

Old 04-21-2022, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
I’ve read this thread and the handbook as well. Just curious to hear other experiences because it doesn’t seem to be an exact science.

Old 04-21-2022, 08:58 AM

60 posts, read 49,855 times
Quote:
Thank you for that info! Did you win? Were your own projections close to what they came up with? I’ve read the handbook and I understand there are multiple ways to calculate it but it still doesn’t seem to be an exact science at the moment.
honestly i just sent it all over and let them do it and figured if i didn't add up i could appeal but, it all worked out in the end. i won a great apt (the whole process was about six months.) i also had pandemic unemployment in the mix and just wasn't sure how it would all add up. a friend who won an apt. told me her calculations were wildly different than the marketing agency so, i didn't bother and left it to fate.

Old 04-21-2022, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastvillager2020 View Post
honestly i just sent it all over and let them do it and figured if i didn't add up i could appeal but, it all worked out in the end. i won a great apt (the whole process was about six months.) i also had pandemic unemployment in the mix and just wasn't sure how it would all add up. a friend who won an apt. told me her calculations were wildly different than the marketing agency so, i didn't bother and left it to fate.
Ah I see. I hope the fates allow me to win this one! It's actually a rerental in the building I currently live in! I love living here, and this would cut my rent in half. Feels like too much of a coincidence for it to not work out but the mixed income thing makes this such a *****. Thanks for your input!

Old 04-21-2022, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Ah I see. I hope the fates allow me to win this one! It's actually a rerental in the building I currently live in! I love living here, and this would cut my rent in half. Feels like too much of a coincidence for it to not work out but the mixed income thing makes this such a *****. Thanks for your input!
Remember, it’s not your decision to make what your income calculation is. So, give yourself the benefit of the doubt and submit. If you are denied, consider appealing. They make the decisions not us.

Good luck and good patience.

Old 04-21-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
Remember, it’s not your decision to make what your income calculation is. So, give yourself the benefit of the doubt and submit. If you are denied, consider appealing. They make the decisions not us.

Good luck and good patience.
Yeah, I'm very aware. Hence the reason I asked the question to find out how they determine it because the handbook doesn't provide an answer for every scenario... Thanks anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery