Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2022, 07:50 PM

74 posts, read 88,273 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

Does anyone have experience with winning the lottery and the last steps? I am pretty positive I’m in the last review stage and next time I hear it will be either approved or denied.

For reference, I submitted my docs, viewed the apartment, submitted addtl docs (2x), and today was requested to fill out a form clarifying bank deposits from Venmo and paypal (kind of crazy how many small deposits they made me clarify) and get this notarized. I know from a close friend who won, this was her last step. I am really hoping to hear back ASAP as I Have to let my building know by the 22nd if I’m renewing.

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2022, 06:31 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,836,542 times
The last steps will be the marketing agent will ask you to sign your Tenant Income Certification (TIC), the unit number that is assigned for you should be already stated in your TIC so check it out when you sign. Then your TIC will be submitted to HPD for final review & approval. When all these done, you will be invited to sign the lease. Good luck & hope the process is smooth!

Old 05-14-2022, 06:57 AM

2 posts, read 2,518 times
I am going thru the same process ,they uploaded my TIC and im waiting for approval from HPD, its been going on three weeks. they anticipating is killing me, and ive called had to get a update but my marketing agent is on vacay

Old 05-14-2022, 08:38 PM

It’s so stressful! I had to clarify bank deposits on Friday and get it notarized. The senior agent who emailed me said this would make my file complete. I am hoping this it and I’m approved by them! My lease is up in July and I need to let them know by the 22nd of may what I’m doing. As long as the senior agent approves me, I’m going to Decline my new lease. I’m just praying HPD approves me before I have to leave here.

Old 05-14-2022, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someoneinqueens View Post
The last steps will be the marketing agent will ask you to sign your Tenant Income Certification (TIC), the unit number that is assigned for you should be already stated in your TIC so check it out when you sign. Then your TIC will be submitted to HPD for final review & approval. When all these done, you will be invited to sign the lease. Good luck & hope the process is smooth!
Thanks!!! And this is just a simple sheet I assume stating you make the certified income? Does that mean the agency approved you?

Old 05-15-2022, 06:44 AM

My TIC was 14 pages, it contains of the calculation of my income, asset, etc, some affidavits to declare that this unit that I won will be my primary residence & that I don't have any other affordable unit rental under my name or my household's names, & a few forms of tax return/tax information release authorization.

After you signed all of those paperwork, your marketing agent will submit them to HPD for their final review & approval. So yeah, it's pretty much a green light from your marketing agent when it comes to TIC but don't discount the time/how long the HPD will take to review & approve your TIC, it can be less than a week or longer than two weeks/a month. My TIC was approved after nearly three weeks sitting with the HPD, so everyone's case is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophwillybilly View Post
Thanks!!! And this is just a simple sheet I assume stating you make the certified income? Does that mean the agency approved you?

Old 05-15-2022, 06:54 AM

828 posts, read 768,063 times
Quote:
My TIC was 14 pages, it contains of the calculation of my income, asset, etc, some affidavits to declare that this unit that I won will be my primary residence & that I don't have any other affordable unit rental under my name or my household's names, & a few forms of tax return/tax information release authorization.

After you signed all of those paperwork, your marketing agent will submit them to HPD for their final review & approval. So yeah, it's pretty much a green light from your marketing agent when it comes to TIC but don't discount the time/how long the HPD will take to review & approve your TIC, it can be less than a week or longer than two weeks/a month. My TIC was approved after nearly three weeks sitting with the HPD, so everyone's case is different.
How much input does the tenant have on the actual start date of the lease? For instance, if you have two months left on your current lease and the marketing agent asks you to come in and sign your new lease, will they give you time to sort out your current situation or do they generally want you to move in immediately?

Old 05-15-2022, 07:18 AM

It depends, again, every development/project/building management is different. From what I learned in this forum, most people said they were given 30 days. In my case, the marketing agent (Breaking Ground) & the building managements of my then & current apartments were very flexible. I discussed with them directly on how best my situation can be approached.

I still had my lease with my then apartment active until the end of February 2022 when I won the unit where I am now (I won in June 2021). So, I asked my then apartment building management if I can break the lease by the end of July 2021 & in the same time I asked my marketing agent & current building management if I could start my lease by the end of July instead of mid of July which is more than 30 days after I got approved by HPD (I was approved by the HPD in mid of June 2021). Fortunately, all of them said YES! - So, I was able to break the lease without penalty, my then apartment building management returned my security deposit 100%, my current apartment building management & the marketing agent granted my request to start my lease date in the end of July instead of mid of July so overall, I had a very smooth moving transition within 45 days from my TIC got approved by the HPD instead of 30 days.

If I may suggest, discuss your situation with all parties involved & you may be surprised how helpful & accommodating they are. Good luck!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPC1999 View Post
How much input does the tenant have on the actual start date of the lease? For instance, if you have two months left on your current lease and the marketing agent asks you to come in and sign your new lease, will they give you time to sort out your current situation or do they generally want you to move in immediately?

Old 05-15-2022, 07:31 AM

828 posts, read 768,063 times
Quote:
It depends, again, every development/project/building management is different. From what I learned in this forum, most people said they were given 30 days. In my case, the marketing agent (Breaking Ground) & the building managements of my then & current apartments were very flexible. I discussed with them directly on how best my situation can be approached.

I still had my lease with my then apartment active until the end of February 2022 when I won the unit where I am now (I won in June 2021). So, I asked my then apartment building management if I can break the lease by the end of July 2021 & in the same time I asked my marketing agent & current building management if I could start my lease by the end of July instead of mid of July which is more than 30 days after I got approved by HPD (I was approved by the HPD in mid of June 2021). Fortunately, all of them said YES! - So, I was able to break the lease without penalty, my then apartment building management returned my security deposit 100%, my current apartment building management & the marketing agent granted my request to start my lease date in the end of July instead of mid of July so overall, I had a very smooth moving transition within 45 days from my TIC got approved by the HPD instead of 30 days.

If I may suggest, discuss your situation with all parties involved & you may be surprised how helpful & accommodating they are. Good luck!!!
That's very helpful, and good advice - thank you.

My current building has a waitlist for market rate 2brs and I'm sure they can get $1,000 more a month than what I am paying, so hopefully they will be accommodating - if and when I am chosen for an affordable unit, lol.

Old 05-15-2022, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks!! Did you at all have a say in the unit? I’d love something on a high floor. Figured it wouldn’t hurt to mention this but I don’t want to be annoying!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: