Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 10:56 PM

294 posts, read 276,182 times

Advertisements

Who's applied?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2022, 01:09 PM

16 posts, read 19,766 times
Default Apt Viewing?

I was just notified about an apartment viewing for later this week (Log 11**). Has anyone seen it yet? Any general thoughts on the apartment or neighborhood? Thanks!

Old 07-05-2022, 04:18 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,913,387 times
small af

Old 07-05-2022, 08:08 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,819,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user808 View Post
I was just notified about an apartment viewing for later this week (Log 11**). Has anyone seen it yet? Any general thoughts on the apartment or neighborhood? Thanks!
One of the nicer areas in Central/West Harlem because of Saint Nicolas Park and City College. There are low income buildings nearby but not a rachet area (until you pass Adam Clayton or 145th).

Old 07-10-2022, 09:34 AM

Default Post Apt Viewing

Hey all! So I saw the 1 BR apt earlier this week and decided to pass it up - ultimately the lack of closet space was a major deal breaker for me. It's a pretty bizarre layout so I wanted to share some pics so you know what to expect.

Pros: Nice kitchen including microwave/oven combo, great accessibility to the subway (right across the street!), gorgeous large bathroom with plenty of storage in the mirror and under the sink, great natural light/lots of windows,

Cons: bedroom fits a full size bed but pretty tight, "living room" space is a glorified hallway, "full" closet doesn't offer ANY hanging space (the proportions are weird too so it would make things hard to stack as well), the half closet has one small bar for hanging.

If you don't have any long dresses, skirts or suits that need to be hung up, and you go on site for work - this could be a good spot for you. If you WFH I think it would feel pretty tight.

https://imgur.com/a/AWZh9g7

Old 07-10-2022, 10:34 AM

2,058 posts, read 1,675,850 times
Quote:
Hey all! So I saw the 1 BR apt earlier this week and decided to pass it up - ultimately the lack of closet space was a major deal breaker for me. It's a pretty bizarre layout so I wanted to share some pics so you know what to expect.

Cons: bedroom fits a full size bed but pretty tight, "living room" space is a glorified hallway, "full" closet doesn't offer ANY hanging space (the proportions are weird too so it would make things hard to stack as well), the half closet has one small bar for hanging.

If you don't have any long dresses, skirts or suits that need to be hung up, and you go on site for work - this could be a good spot for you. If you WFH I think it would feel pretty tight.

Certain an challenging place to reside. If I had to live there, I would explore rigging a closet over the back half of the bathtub and just use the shower side.

Could the stacked washer/dryer be side by side instead? Would this gain a bit of tall hanging space? The space on the walls behind open doors could fit a garment or two; likewise, the front/back of the doors themselves. Any port in a storm circumstances it seems from the photos. Some of the kitchen cabinets could be commandeered for clothes and shoes.

I might consider selling/donating summer and winter clothes at the end of the season to save on space.

Old 07-10-2022, 03:13 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,913,387 times
Quote:

Pros: Nice kitchen including microwave/oven combo, great accessibility to the subway (right across the street!), gorgeous large bathroom with plenty of storage in the mirror and under the sink, great natural light/lots of windows,

im glad (in a good way) you passed it up. the sh** is small.

Old 07-11-2022, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
Certain an challenging place to reside. If I had to live there, I would explore rigging a closet over the back half of the bathtub and just use the shower side.

Could the stacked washer/dryer be side by side instead? Would this gain a bit of tall hanging space? The space on the walls behind open doors could fit a garment or two; likewise, the front/back of the doors themselves. Any port in a storm circumstances it seems from the photos. Some of the kitchen cabinets could be commandeered for clothes and shoes.

I might consider selling/donating summer and winter clothes at the end of the season to save on space.
I think the W/D could be side by side - but I'm not sure. If you get a chance to view it, it's definitely worth asking! Brittany (who gave me my tour) was super friendly and helpful I'm not sure how you might add a closet to the back of the shower/tub, but if you do pursue that option just be careful you aren't risking water damage to the closet/your clothes in it!

Old 07-11-2022, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
im glad (in a good way) you passed it up. the sh** is small.
Haha thanks for the positive reinforcement!

Old 07-12-2022, 08:32 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,752,644 times
That is the weirdest closet I have ever seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: