Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2022, 02:37 PM

500 posts, read 457,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensGem View Post
Hey still waiting on Reside documents taken 3/29 for 89-28 138 place. They don’t communicate at all Log number 2XX mini Lottery. I emailed and said to reach Log number. I just hope they open some Queens buildings but A different Marketing Agent. They need to be retrained all of them because doesn’t take 4 months to give response very unprofessional. @Sarah99Mills9
I got called for there too they told me they only had studios left when I called earlier in may
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2022, 03:12 PM

28 posts, read 24,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah99Mills9 View Post
Oh wow that’s craziness!!! It might not be a lot people in front of you did you have CB? There’s only 2 units available for this apt and it’s a mini lottery too I just don’t understand why would they pull so many apts out!

Hi sarah99Mills9;63612597, by any chance is the lottery you are referring to (59-24 41 AVENUE, WOODSIDE, NY 11377)? Cause I got a very low lottery number too and have been "under review" for a long time.

Old 06-15-2022, 07:06 AM

80 posts, read 47,834 times
I’m also dealing with Reside. The application deadline was May 16th they asked for documents June 2nd. I sent all my documents in and decided to email the project manager yesterday who requested documents she said “ This is a lottery and the process takes time. We will start reviewing applications starting from the lowest log number. Once your log number will be reached we'll review your file to determine your eligibility and we'll reach out to then for the next steps” so that means my log will never be look at with only 5 units available and my log #4xx. Why requested documents from so many people for 5 units.

Old 06-15-2022, 07:39 AM

2,015 posts, read 1,633,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmHer43 View Post
I’m also dealing with Reside. The application deadline was May 16th they asked for documents June 2nd. I sent all my documents in and decided to email the project manager yesterday who requested documents she said “ This is a lottery and the process takes time. We will start reviewing applications starting from the lowest log number. Once your log number will be reached we'll review your file to determine your eligibility and we'll reach out to then for the next steps” so that means my log will never be look at with only 5 units available and my log #4xx. Why requested documents from so many people for 5 units.
I agree it seems excessive. It is likely more than will be necessary. The various lottery preferences are a factor. A very high log# can get a unit if it has preferences. Some applicants don’t know if they qualify for preferences or not, or think they do but do not.

They can’t control how many people will reply to requests for documents. Perhaps, many people’s plans have changed in the pandemic. It’s free to enter the lottery and lots of people enter without really being interested or even qualified. The percentage of replies for documents per hundred can be low; it can be zero.

For the pool of applicants’ documents there will be a percentage that don’t qualify for the units, or fail to submit proper paperwork. For the resulting pool of qualified applicants there can be those that turndown a unit for whatever reasons, ‘too small’, ‘dog too large’, ‘found something better already’, and so on.

By asking for many applicants to submit documents they avoid being asked, ‘why didn’t you ask for my documents’, and, ‘why don’t you ask more applicants for documents’.

Good luck and good patience.

Old 06-15-2022, 07:48 AM

80 posts, read 47,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
I agree it seems excessive. It is likely more than will be necessary. The various lottery preferences are a factor. A very high log# can get a unit if it has preferences. Some applicants don’t know if they qualify for preferences or not, or think they do but do not.

They can’t control how many people will reply to requests for documents. Perhaps, many people’s plans have changed in the pandemic. It’s free to enter the lottery and lots of people enter without really being interested or even qualified. The percentage of replies for documents per hundred can be low; it can be zero.

For the pool of applicants’ documents there will be a percentage that don’t qualify for the units, or fail to submit proper paperwork. For the resulting pool of qualified applicants there can be those that turndown a unit for whatever reasons, ‘too small’, ‘dog too large’, ‘found something better already’, and so on.

By asking for many applicants to submit documents they avoid being asked, ‘why didn’t you ask for my documents’, and, ‘why don’t you ask more applicants for documents’.

Good luck and good patience.

I’m hearing about preferences what is that and how do you qualify for it?

Old 06-15-2022, 10:08 AM

2,015 posts, read 1,633,619 times
Quote:
I’m hearing about preferences what is that and how do you qualify for it?
First thing to know, not all lotteries uses preferences.

The typical preferences are a percentage of units are set aside for: 5% Mobility; 2% Vision/Hearing. Preference for a percentage of units goes to: 50% Community Board Resident; 5% NYC Employee. And typically they go in that order. Applicants with a Mobility disability go early even if their log # is high, but only until that 5% set aside is filled, and they go ahead of other preferences. Notice it’s only 5% preference which can be only one unit if there are 20 units or less.

Notice that Community Board Resident preference is by far the largest. A Community Board is a section of a Borough. If an applicant lives in the Community Board where the building is and the lottery uses the CB preference then the applicant gets a preference, if the 50% preference has not been filled up yet. So, any log# with CB preference is good, but with CB preference and lower is better.

Do a search ‘what Community Board do I live in nyc’. You should get a page where you input your address and get an answer.

Check out the table of contents.
https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/down...g-handbook.pdf

Old 06-16-2022, 12:03 PM

36 posts, read 45,832 times
Quote:
I had wondered the same thing on several past lotteries I had won, but didn't accept. To give you the odds, over 5 million people apply JUST for the NY housing lottery listings. Only 1 out of 500 actually qualify based on their criteria. There are people that usually apply, even though they don't qualify be it due to income qualification (too high, too low), credit scores/past rental payment history, background checks, etc. Especially due to the pandemic, where many people had lost their jobs, etc.

They like to have the next person ready to go, should any occurrences like these happen.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-16-2022, 01:32 PM

500 posts, read 457,716 times
Hey what you are speaking on isn’t correct you can not get denied for having a high or too low credit score

Old 06-16-2022, 01:37 PM

36 posts, read 45,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah99Mills9 View Post
Hey what you are speaking on isn’t correct you can not get denied for having a high or too low credit score
You are correct, but in the past they did. That's why I put (slash) /past rental payment history, which is what is required now.

Old 06-18-2022, 10:36 AM

2 posts, read 907 times
Default Rental history?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashion808gal View Post
You are correct, but in the past they did. That's why I put (slash) /past rental payment history, which is what is required now.
I'm new to all of this. Can you please explain how rental payment history affects your chances? I ask because I don't have history of rent payments for the past 2 years. I've been living with my ex-boyfriend and our child but we've decided to split up and I've been looking for an apt to move into. I have good credit history though...will that be enough?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: