Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2023, 11:18 PM

63 posts, read 76,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpng323 View Post
Update : I received & signed my TIC today. The Unit number was on it as well.
How long did it take you from the apartment tour to sign the contract? It's been two weeks since I saw the apartment and told them I'm interested in moving forward. But no contact from the agency since.

Thanks & congratulation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2023, 07:13 AM

74 posts, read 92,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maumauqueens View Post
How long did it take you from the apartment tour to sign the contract? It's been two weeks since I saw the apartment and told them I'm interested in moving forward. But no contact from the agency since.

Thanks & congratulation!

Thank you! I toured the apartment on 12/18. So it took a month and a half to receive the TIC.

Old 02-06-2023, 07:30 PM

3 posts, read 4,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dime99 View Post
My 2 cents. IMO. My personal take.

I would go for the apartment. It's a luxury Manhattan NYC apartment that is priced way less than market rate and it's rent-stabilized. The whole point of making more money is to live in a really nice home. You have a chance for that now, even if you don't have the best job you can still live here for life.

Even with a master's degree, your chance of making enough money to live in an apartment like this in NYC is nil. I know there are doctors in my building that could only afford to live in the studio apartments.

The only con is even if you drop out and come back to NYC, the lottery apartment is not 100%. You can still maybe not qualify for whatever reason. Or the apartment could be super crappy, never know until the end.

Good luck! Good dilemma to have!

Thank you for your advice! I know, it's really a tough one. I'm at the point where I feel that because it's not a guarantee that I will be approved for it, it might be better to stay in the course. I'm finding that I'm making good contacts here in London which might be helpful long-term. It does kill me to not just leave and go for it, though. I really want to live in that building, and I'm afraid that I won't have a similar opportunity again. I don't think it's a good dilemma to have at all! If I didn't get the low log #, I would be enjoying my experience in London and making the most of it. Instead, I've been going crazy since I arrived here in October trying to decide whether I should leave to apply for this apartment. I've been a nervous wreck for months and it's not getting better, as I need to decide whether or not I'm leaving by tomorrow basically. Ugh. Thanks for your input Maybe by the morning I will decide that I'm leaving

Old 02-06-2023, 08:02 PM

83 posts, read 78,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic-check-2023 View Post
Thank you for your advice! I know, it's really a tough one. I'm at the point where I feel that because it's not a guarantee that I will be approved for it, it might be better to stay in the course. I'm finding that I'm making good contacts here in London which might be helpful long-term. It does kill me to not just leave and go for it, though. I really want to live in that building, and I'm afraid that I won't have a similar opportunity again. I don't think it's a good dilemma to have at all! If I didn't get the low log #, I would be enjoying my experience in London and making the most of it. Instead, I've been going crazy since I arrived here in October trying to decide whether I should leave to apply for this apartment. I've been a nervous wreck for months and it's not getting better, as I need to decide whether or not I'm leaving by tomorrow basically. Ugh. Thanks for your input Maybe by the morning I will decide that I'm leaving
Is it not possible to wait to get approved first before leaving your course/London?

Old 02-06-2023, 08:52 PM

603 posts, read 598,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic-check-2023 View Post
I hope it all works out, whichever way you choose!

Old 02-10-2023, 06:10 PM

Wondering if someone can help. The agent is asking me for a letter from my current landlord showing prof of the 12 last payments. However, I shared the apartment with a friend, he signed the lease. My name is on it but as occupant (not sure it is the right term). So I don't pay my rent to the land lord, I pay my portion to my friend. Now I'm worried. Can a certified letter from my friend confirming I pay him the rent be enough? To make matters worse he told me he is two months behind on rent
Thank you.

Old 02-10-2023, 06:13 PM

74 posts, read 92,931 times
Quote:
Wondering if someone can help. The agent is asking me for a letter from my current landlord showing prof of the 12 last payments. However, I shared the apartment with a friend, he signed the lease. My name is on it but as occupant (not sure it is the right term). So I don't pay my rent to the land lord, I pay my portion to my friend. Now I'm worried. Can a certified letter from my friend confirming I pay him the rent be enough? To make matters worse he told me he is two months behind on rent
Thank you.

I’ve read on here before that you can get a notarized letter from your roommate & also give rental receipts showing that you have paid your portion to your roommate.
Are you able to just do a credit check. ?

Old 02-10-2023, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Thank you.
I do the same! I showed Zelle receipts and explained that those payments are for rent and got it notarized. I also wrote another letter that if that is not sufficient, they are free to contact my building’s office and provided contact information. I’m not sure which route the agency chose but my application is already pending with HPD.

Old 02-10-2023, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by approveme View Post
I do the same! I showed Zelle receipts and explained that those payments are for rent and got it notarized. I also wrote another letter that if that is not sufficient, they are free to contact my building’s office and provided contact information. I’m not sure which route the agency chose but my application is already pending with HPD.
Thank you! Appreciate you reply. So just to clarify, you certified the Zelle receipts and the letter from your friend or just the receipts? I take they were okay with it since you didn't get any further requests. Are you moving to Lyra? And how long has your application pending HPD approval? Sorry I'm asking so many question. I'm so excited about this opportunity but also scare of any wrong step.

Thank you.

Old 02-11-2023, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Thank you! Appreciate you reply. So just to clarify, you certified the Zelle receipts and the letter from your friend or just the receipts? I take they were okay with it since you didn't get any further requests. Are you moving to Lyra? And how long has your application pending HPD approval? Sorry I'm asking so many question. I'm so excited about this opportunity but also scare of any wrong step.

Thank you.
I notarized the letter of explanation that the following receipts were my payments for rent. But you can also notarize the receipts, if you want!

Yes - no further requests on that. They did not even question it. But I just checked my application again and seems like they checked the credit review check box instead of the evidence of rent payments box. I provided them with a $20 money order when I went in to sign forms but wasn’t aware that I could pick either route (rental receipts or credit check).

In summary, I provided them with Zelle receipts, a letter explaining those receipts, another letter that they may contact my building’s office, and a $20 for credit check. I think it’s always better to provide documents ahead of time so there is less back and forth; and they can’t say that I failed to provide a specific document.

This is not for Lyra but for Brooklyn Crossing! But the document requests are the same if not similar. My application was only submitted on 02/09 and I heard it can take 3 days to 2 weeks or even longer for some to get approved.

I hope this helps! And don’t worry - it is a very nerve-wracking process and this forum has helped me so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery