Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2024, 07:01 PM

111 posts, read 71,620 times

Advertisements

My experience has been horrible! But doesn’t mean yours will be. There are others who have had a great experience thus far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2024, 08:00 PM

8 posts, read 3,752 times
I moved in a few days ago. Much better than my previous apartment that I got through the housing lottery. The main downsides have been the size of the apartment. It’s small and a weird shape. The price for 130% AMI. It’s more like discounted luxury than trying to be affordable lol. They are very slow at responding. You have to chase them down for everything. Even after I gave my 1st month rent and security deposit I had to keep emailing to learn more about moving into the building. Also they only allow you to move your stuff from like 9-5. After 5pm they charge a $200 fee. There is an horse stable right by here. Which I think should be banned. It causes a horrible smell. Other than that things have been good. All the units are brand new. There’s like 5 empty apartments on my floor. Down the block is another luxury apartment building coming up. This neighborhood is going to look completely different in a few years. Right now it feels quiet.

Old 02-18-2024, 08:18 PM

31 posts, read 26,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon_d View Post
Hi roxy_nyc, I'm just wondering - when did they first reach out to you to submit the first round of docs via pronto/housing connect? I'm log number 52xx and they first reached out to me 3 weeks ago but I've not heard anything or been asked to submit anything else. Could you share the approx date they first got in touch?
Sure thing, I was first contacted back in late December, right before the holidays. I didn't hear back from them for weeks, until the second request. It's been a slow process

Old 02-18-2024, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aly_girl1 View Post
My experience has been horrible! But doesn’t mean yours will be. There are others who have had a great experience thus far.
I'm sorry to hear that! Anything in particular that has made you feel this way?

Also, how has your utility bill been? I've never lived in an apartment with a washer/dryer or dishwasher, and I'm worried the bills might be much higher than what I'm currently paying.

Last edited by roxy_nyc; 02-18-2024 at 09:12 PM..

Old 02-18-2024, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tephra24 View Post
I moved in a few days ago. Much better than my previous apartment that I got through the housing lottery. The main downsides have been the size of the apartment. It’s small and a weird shape. The price for 130% AMI. It’s more like discounted luxury than trying to be affordable lol. They are very slow at responding. You have to chase them down for everything. Even after I gave my 1st month rent and security deposit I had to keep emailing to learn more about moving into the building. Also they only allow you to move your stuff from like 9-5. After 5pm they charge a $200 fee. There is an horse stable right by here. Which I think should be banned. It causes a horrible smell. Other than that things have been good. All the units are brand new. There’s like 5 empty apartments on my floor. Down the block is another luxury apartment building coming up. This neighborhood is going to look completely different in a few years. Right now it feels quiet.

Thanks for the info!
That's my thinking too, that the neighborhood will change quickly. The area seems a bit removed from city life at the moment, if that makes sense.

I also feel hesitant to accept (if I'm approved) because of the price and the layout/size of the apartment. It's kind of insane to me that most of the new units are now 3k for 130% AMI!

May I ask what apartment line they offered you? When I toured the building, they only showed us Line 06.

Old 02-19-2024, 07:16 AM

15 posts, read 8,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aly_girl1 View Post
Hey Aly_girl, could you share more about why it's been a negative experience for you? Thanks!

Old 02-19-2024, 09:33 AM

8 posts, read 3,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy_nyc View Post
Thanks for the info!
That's my thinking too, that the neighborhood will change quickly. The area seems a bit removed from city life at the moment, if that makes sense.

I also feel hesitant to accept (if I'm approved) because of the price and the layout/size of the apartment. It's kind of insane to me that most of the new units are now 3k for 130% AMI!

May I ask what apartment line they offered you? When I toured the building, they only showed us Line 06.

They changed the price? It was still 2.7k for me for a one bedroom. I get that. It’s all about trade offs. For me being near or in the city was important and also having laundry in the building. Most apartments that fit those 2 criteria were in the 2.3-2.5k range. To me it made sense to go over my budget a little and get a lot more. I love having washer/dryer in unit.

Old 02-19-2024, 09:41 AM

No, it's still 2.7k. I was commenting about the newer lotteries being 3k and up. Makes me feel like if I don't go through with this one, I'll be completely priced out for all other lottery apartment in the 130 AMI.

Is heat included? Or is it part of the electric bill?

Old 02-20-2024, 03:37 PM

15 posts, read 8,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tephra24 View Post
They changed the price? It was still 2.7k for me for a one bedroom. I get that. It’s all about trade offs. For me being near or in the city was important and also having laundry in the building. Most apartments that fit those 2 criteria were in the 2.3-2.5k range. To me it made sense to go over my budget a little and get a lot more. I love having washer/dryer in unit.
This is my thinking too. I've only been asked for the first round of docs so not sure if there'll be anything available by the time they get to me. I did just tour the building though. The only 1 bed they showed me was the model apartment on the 6th floor. Is that the same type of 1-bed you got? They didn't say anything about what floors are available to lottery folks either.

Old 02-20-2024, 04:23 PM

3 posts, read 1,640 times
How did you like the apartment when you toured?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery