Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2022, 12:15 PM

12 posts, read 6,865 times

Advertisements

My significant other and I recently won the lotto about a month ago with a 34 Log Number. We got to view units, choose one, and were about 98% approved according to them. We had set up a joint bank account the week we won, a few before viewings.

We currently do not live together, and have been together about three years. The HPD finally got back after about a week, and said that because we started the joint account AFTER the lotto number was pulled, it meant we did not qualify.

Has anyone else any experience with this?

We are protesting it with the HPD - we got letters from people confirming we have been together for years, and that there are plenty of people, even married, living together, without joint bank accounts. Is this discriminatory?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2022, 12:55 PM

957 posts, read 935,130 times
You didn’t win the lottery because you were denied for the joint account. You guys should’ve held off until you seen the lease and get the keys, that’s when you win the lottery apartment not because you were selected with a lower log number. They might think you’re hiding assets. You moved too fast. All you can do is appeal but unmarried people shouldn’t even have joint bank accounts anyway imo.

Old 06-22-2022, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani15 View Post
You didn’t win the lottery because you were denied for the joint account. You guys should’ve held off until you seen the lease and get the keys, that’s when you win the lottery apartment not because you were selected with a lower log number. They might think you’re hiding assets. You moved too fast. All you can do is appeal but unmarried people shouldn’t even have joint bank accounts anyway imo.
What do you mean seen the lease and get the keys and holding off? We can't see any lease until the HPD approval, which was the last final thing we were waiting on. We had already seen the available apartments after prior approval.

Also every piece of advice I have seen is stating to have all your documents and paperwork ready to submit immediately, which is exactly what we did, we had them the day they requested them. What should we have done exavtly?

Also noting that it was timed perfectly with our current leases' situations.

Old 06-22-2022, 03:01 PM

5 posts, read 3,167 times
Hi,

Sorry to hear that you were denied by HPD. From the sounds of it, it's due to you and your significant other not being considered financially interdependent, married or having a domestic partnership, prior to the lottery being finalized. I'm sort of in a similar situation, as my boyfriend and I only have a lease we shared prior to the lottery closed that shows financial dependence. Check section 5.2 : Qualifications as a Household from the HPD Marketing Handbook to show their guidelines for determining a "household".

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/down...dbook-8-21.pdf

Also, in your appeal I would gather financial documents or utilities bills to show that your significant other has contributed to prior to the lottery closing.

Old 06-22-2022, 03:50 PM

4,771 posts, read 6,568,333 times
Someone here recently was successful opening up a joint bank account with a significant other after being called to submit documents. Here’s the thread.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...sion-date.html

Can you get married?

Old 06-22-2022, 03:59 PM

644 posts, read 735,036 times
Do you have to include the other person in the application? Could you just say it’s for you and move with the SO later. Would they know? If they find out, would they kick you out or fine you?
Just wondering

Old 06-22-2022, 04:18 PM

4,771 posts, read 6,568,333 times
If you apply as a single person, planning on moving someone else in, you would be wise to wait at least six months to a year before doing that. Otherwise you could creditably be accused of fraud (hiding the income from another household member).

Old 06-22-2022, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano_Adriano View Post
What do you mean seen the lease and get the keys and holding off? We can't see any lease until the HPD approval, which was the last final thing we were waiting on. We had already seen the available apartments after prior approval.

Also every piece of advice I have seen is stating to have all your documents and paperwork ready to submit immediately, which is exactly what we did, we had them the day they requested them. What should we have done exavtly?

Also noting that it was timed perfectly with our current leases' situations.
You didn’t win the unit because you did not sign a lease which is a legally binding agreement. You submitted documents, that’s it. They didn’t even say you were approved.

Old 06-23-2022, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani15 View Post
You didn’t win the unit because you did not sign a lease which is a legally binding agreement. You submitted documents, that’s it. They didn’t even say you were approved.

Lani, I apologize for my choice of wording. I meant selected to provide documents and offered tours to view units. NOT WIN. Do you accept?

Old 06-23-2022, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano_Adriano View Post
Lani, I apologize for my choice of wording. I meant selected to provide documents and offered tours to view units. NOT WIN. Do you accept?
Yea just try to appeal next time wait things out until you sign the lease and get the keys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery