Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2022, 04:03 PM

453 posts, read 498,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by someoneinqueens View Post
Correct! I shared based on my experience & what I got & had to submit to the marketing agent. My marketing agency is Breaking Ground, I don't know if you have the same agency.

Anyway, please do mention that when you contact HPD & I wish you good luck!
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2022, 05:45 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,445,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinNYC View Post
Thank you, I feel the same way. I've been submitting all my documents in good faith each time, and it seems we are expected to infer a lot of the documents they are asking for. I'm so disillusioned with the whole thing, seeing as I know we qualify. How trigger happy they are on the reject does make me wonder if there's an agenda of sorts. Hmm
I had a similar experience with brooklyn crossing but they never rejected me. They'd request docs which I'd submit within 24h, make me wait 1-2 weeks, and then when I'd follow up about my status, they would be like "no your file isn't complete because we're missing xyz (things they'd never asked me for in the first place" and then be mad that I hadn't submitted those un-requested things to them already. Thankfully, they would just make the additional request and the cycle would go around again until they FINALLY submitted me to the city last week. 100% appeal, such a pain in the a** and VERY stressful but 100% worth it in the end. Good luck!

Last edited by linamonroll; 07-18-2022 at 06:04 PM..

Old 07-18-2022, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linamonroll View Post
I had a similar experience with brooklyn crossing but they never rejected me. They'd request docs which I'd submit within 24h, make me wait 1-2 weeks, and then when I'd follow up about my status, they would be like "no your file isn't complete because we're missing xyz (things they'd never asked me fore in the first place" and then be mad that I hadn't submitted those un-requested things to them already. Thankfully, they would just make the additional request and the cycle would go around again until they FINALLY submitted me to the city last week. 100% appeal, such a pain in the a** and VERY stressful but 100% worth it in the end. Good luck!
Oh, this actually gives me hope - I might explain in my complaint that it seems the SVEN lottery is very unique in not giving applicants a heads up to provide missing documents as every other lottery does!

I don't mind so much the waiting...it is just the finality with which they deal with stuff there. and I am very aware that this HPD complaint is my final chance! And it is also maddening that they used the phase "influencing eligibility" in their message, as I am deliberately leaving stuff out to scam them and not because I'm trying to scale a Mount Everest of paperwork in the dark.

I'm so glad you got into Brooklyn Crossing! That was my dream building, it looks absolutely gorgeous!

Old 07-18-2022, 06:12 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,445,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinNYC View Post
Oh, this actually gives me hope - I might explain in my complaint that it seems the SVEN lottery is very unique in not giving applicants a heads up to provide missing documents as every other lottery does!

I don't mind so much the waiting...it is just the finality with which they deal with stuff there. and I am very aware that this HPD complaint is my final chance! And it is also maddening that they used the phase "influencing eligibility" in their message, as I am deliberately leaving stuff out to scam them and not because I'm trying to scale a Mount Everest of paperwork in the dark.

I'm so glad you got into Brooklyn Crossing! That was my dream building, it looks absolutely gorgeous!
Thank you! My dream building that I would never have dared to dream of LOL.

I just thought of something else too, I'm pretty sure that when you submit documents on HC, it says "under review" and says something like "Your file is under review. The marketing agent will reach out to you if any additional documents are needed." Can you get someone who has submitted documents to screen shot that message for you to include in your appeal? You were relying on that message that if anything was missing, you would be contacted, not rejected.

Old 07-18-2022, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linamonroll View Post
Thank you! My dream building that I would never have dared to dream of LOL.

I just thought of something else too, I'm pretty sure that when you submit documents on HC, it says "under review" and says something like "Your file is under review. The marketing agent will reach out to you if any additional documents are needed." Can you get someone who has submitted documents to screen shot that message for you to include in your appeal? You were relying on that message that if anything was missing, you would be contacted, not rejected.
Oh yes - that is a GREAT idea! Thank you!

Old 07-22-2022, 12:11 PM

3 posts, read 2,634 times
I was in the same boat with SVEN. My application and appeal were rejected for supposedly not submitting documents I had either already uploaded, or was never asked to submit in the first place. At no point in the process was I ever contacted by the building owner/managing agent requesting documents not listed on HC. The rejection to my complaint was pretty much a copy and paste of the other two rejections, and when I called HPD to ask if they even bothered to look at what I uploaded, I was basically told their decision was final (and that I was welcome to continue applying for other lotteries, lol). I just moved into another lottery unit in LIC last year, so it’s not as if I don’t know the drill.

While I likely wouldn’t have accepted an apartment there anyway, as I’m sure my current unit is larger and has a better view than any available lottery units there (based on what I’ve seen in the SVEN thread, anyway), I was still curious to see how they compared in person, and am annoyed that the choice was taken from me for no valid reason. Good luck with your complaint!

Old 07-23-2022, 02:59 PM

290 posts, read 275,322 times
We had a really bad experience with a ML coop and HPD. We were told that our number was passed over because we didn't respond to offer letters that we never received. We appealed to HPD and received notices that they would get back to us. It NEVER happened. We were thoroughly ignored despite several communications. We didn't take it further because another ML contacted us in the meantime. HPD isn't playing fair.

Old 07-23-2022, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslkerjlaker View Post
I was in the same boat with SVEN. My application and appeal were rejected for supposedly not submitting documents I had either already uploaded, or was never asked to submit in the first place. At no point in the process was I ever contacted by the building owner/managing agent requesting documents not listed on HC. The rejection to my complaint was pretty much a copy and paste of the other two rejections, and when I called HPD to ask if they even bothered to look at what I uploaded, I was basically told their decision was final (and that I was welcome to continue applying for other lotteries, lol). I just moved into another lottery unit in LIC last year, so it’s not as if I don’t know the drill.

While I likely wouldn’t have accepted an apartment there anyway, as I’m sure my current unit is larger and has a better view than any available lottery units there (based on what I’ve seen in the SVEN thread, anyway), I was still curious to see how they compared in person, and am annoyed that the choice was taken from me for no valid reason. Good luck with your complaint!
OMG - what the heck? May I ask what their original reasons were for the rejection? I am worried about the same thing happening.

Old 07-24-2022, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by village native View Post
We had a really bad experience with a ML coop and HPD. We were told that our number was passed over because we didn't respond to offer letters that we never received. We appealed to HPD and received notices that they would get back to us. It NEVER happened. We were thoroughly ignored despite several communications. We didn't take it further because another ML contacted us in the meantime. HPD isn't playing fair.
I'm not hopeful about my complaint but I have given it everything I've got. Is there someone there too lazy to do their job and just auto-rejecting everyone without even reading it?

I have found the specific clause in the marketing handbook that SVEN is violating, stating that applicants MUST be given 5 business days to come up with additional and missing documents (note the difference between these two!) yet they don't even tell you what is missing, just reject right away.

I really wish I knew who to take it to next. I heard someone say that the congress people have the authority to overturn HPD decisions, even though that seems to me a too dramatic step up (I had assumed council rather than congress). But I heard that from someone who actually worked for a lottery building. Would be curious to see if anyone had any insights. Not to mention - there has to be some legal implications here with them going against their own advertised rules.

Old 07-25-2022, 10:19 AM

290 posts, read 275,322 times
We were told that we didn't respond to their two offer letters. We never received any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery