Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2022, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 777 times

Advertisements

I've submitted all my documents, including the person who'll be living with me. The person who I was in contact with during the whole process told me that I'm eligible for a studio. The issue I'm having is, am I going to get a studio or will the government give me more rooms?

I'm currently over 20 years old, and my mom is over 60. I'm a male. I've heard that if you live in public housing or have section 8, you're accommodated for by gender and possibly age so you'll get rooms for each gender.

How would me, 20ish year old male, and my mom whos in her 60s live in a studio? I still feel when the housing agency submits the documents to be reviewed by the government they'll give me two bed rooms, but just based on the phone call I've had with the person whos in contact with me about the documentation process, I'm assuming its a studio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2022, 03:47 PM

109 posts, read 85,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roncain562 View Post
I've submitted all my documents, including the person who'll be living with me. The person who I was in contact with during the whole process told me that I'm eligible for a studio. The issue I'm having is, am I going to get a studio or will the government give me more rooms?

I'm currently over 20 years old, and my mom is over 60. I'm a male. I've heard that if you live in public housing or have section 8, you're accommodated for by gender and possibly age so you'll get rooms for each gender.

How would me, 20ish year old male, and my mom whos in her 60s live in a studio? I still feel when the housing agency submits the documents to be reviewed by the government they'll give me two bed rooms, but just based on the phone call I've had with the person whos in contact with me about the documentation process, I'm assuming its a studio.
honestly its all depends on what you are qualified for and what's available

Old 07-19-2022, 04:09 PM

726 posts, read 813,543 times
If this for housing connect then they do not care abt your gender. You qualify based on family composition and if the 2 of you only qualify for a studio that is what you will get

Old 07-19-2022, 04:11 PM

4,777 posts, read 6,584,266 times
It's weird that two people wouldn't qualify for a one-bedroom. Maybe there are none left or maybe your income isn't sufficient. Why don't you ask the person handling your file?

Old 07-19-2022, 04:41 PM

6,689 posts, read 6,041,803 times
I don’t know what your circumstances are but studio living gets uncomfortable after a while. I can’t imagine living in a studio with someone else. Think it through before you take it. There will be other opportunities.

Old 07-19-2022, 04:50 PM

151 posts, read 196,648 times
My assumption is that there are no more 1 bd and that’s why you are approved for a studio. 2 size household definitely qualifies for a 1 bedroom, they qualify even for 2 bd… given your income qualifies you as well.

Old 07-19-2022, 04:54 PM

644 posts, read 736,877 times
Studios usually lack closet space. Sometimes it's not even enough for 1 person. Hey! sometimes they don't have a closet at all. Personally I wouldn't take it just based on that. It would get uncomfortable and you would have to get very creative with storage and the space.

Old 07-19-2022, 05:15 PM

125 posts, read 136,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I don’t know what your circumstances are but studio living gets uncomfortable after a while. I can’t imagine living in a studio with someone else. Think it through before you take it. There will be other opportunities.
I could live in a studio alone but not with another person that would just be uncomfortable.

Old 07-19-2022, 05:21 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,496,767 times
some studios have a walk in closet big enough for a full size bed,some have a powder room big enough for a single bed,some have a platform sticking out of the wall as a bed.
some have a bed hidden behind door.
Studios are wonderful to live in.

Old 07-19-2022, 05:25 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,656,023 times
Is this NYCHA or a lottery?
Things can be different from building to building. Sorry I have no answer for you. Try to ask if after taking a studio if that is all there is, would the two of you qualify to move to a one bedroom? I mean in the same building if that become available. Best wishes on getting a one bedroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery