Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 08:45 PM

53 posts, read 46,583 times

Advertisements

After 6 years of applying, I finally won a lottery apartment. It's not the fanciest building, but I'm excited about being in a rent stabilized apartment.

I was called to see the unit on 6/3/22
I saw the unit on 6/7/22
I had my interview apt to hand in documents on 6/10/22

I gave in as many documents as possible. Afterward, it was about 2 months of sending the compliance agent documents, the agency was requesting.

My file was finally sent to the city on 8/12/22
I was called today on 8/23/22, to tell me I was approved. So, it took the city 5-7 days to approve my file.

I want to thank everyone, that is always contributing to this forum. I learned so much from your knowledge and the process was smooth for me, even though a bit stressful.

For anyone about to go through the process or who's currently applying, make sure to have your important documents (Birth certificate, Social, etc) ready in a pdf folder or already printed. They're going to ask for your Cash App, Mercari sales, anything of that nature (6 months' worth). So, download or print your information and type out a letter, explaining your sales or the money being sent to you through Zelle. I tried to be as detailed as possible.

For example- I printed out screenshots of my Cashapp, printed out my Mercari sales and explained it's not a reoccurring income. I told them I use the money for a night out, etc. My boyfriend sends me $100 every month for his part of the phone bill. I printed out proof of our phone plan. I explained money he sent me for hotel visits for vacations and highlighted the hotel charge on my bank statement. The more detailed, the better. Be organized, try to get your documents in as quickly as possible and be nice to your compliance agent.

I'm praying that everyone gets an apartment they can be happy in. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 08:59 PM

293 posts, read 223,878 times
Congrats!! Enjoy the apartment!

Old 08-23-2022, 09:14 PM

394 posts, read 570,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildoneb View Post
After 6 years of applying, I finally won a lottery apartment. It's not the fanciest building, but I'm excited about being in a rent stabilized apartment.

I was called to see the unit on 6/3/22
I saw the unit on 6/7/22
I had my interview apt to hand in documents on 6/10/22

I gave in as many documents as possible. Afterward, it was about 2 months of sending the compliance agent documents, the agency was requesting.

My file was finally sent to the city on 8/12/22
I was called today on 8/23/22, to tell me I was approved. So, it took the city 5-7 days to approve my file.

I want to thank everyone, that is always contributing to this forum. I learned so much from your knowledge and the process was smooth for me, even though a bit stressful.

For anyone about to go through the process or who's currently applying, make sure to have your important documents (Birth certificate, Social, etc) ready in a pdf folder or already printed. They're going to ask for your Cash App, Mercari sales, anything of that nature (6 months' worth). So, download or print your information and type out a letter, explaining your sales or the money being sent to you through Zelle. I tried to be as detailed as possible.

For example- I printed out screenshots of my Cashapp, printed out my Mercari sales and explained it's not a reoccurring income. I told them I use the money for a night out, etc. My boyfriend sends me $100 every month for his part of the phone bill. I printed out proof of our phone plan. I explained money he sent me for hotel visits for vacations and highlighted the hotel charge on my bank statement. The more detailed, the better. Be organized, try to get your documents in as quickly as possible and be nice to your compliance agent.

I'm praying that everyone gets an apartment they can be happy in. Good luck!
Thanks for sharing, When i read stories like this it makes me smile and i still cling onto hope.

Old 08-23-2022, 09:28 PM

51 posts, read 38,884 times
Congratulations, which lottery did you win

Old 08-24-2022, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo295 View Post
Congrats!! Enjoy the apartment!
Thank you!

Old 08-24-2022, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RentingNYC View Post
Thanks for sharing, When i read stories like this it makes me smile and i still cling onto hope.
Don't give up. Just keep your documents ready and try applying to buildings with community board preference. That's if you're ok with being close to the neighborhood, you live in now.

Old 08-24-2022, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandOFakes View Post
Congratulations, which lottery did you win
Thank you It's for 425 Grand Concourse in the Bronx. Not the best area, but most of my family are in the Bronx.

Old 08-24-2022, 07:03 AM

98 posts, read 113,671 times
Congrats! I'm next!

Old 08-24-2022, 08:30 AM

394 posts, read 570,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildoneb View Post
Don't give up. Just keep your documents ready and try applying to buildings with community board preference. That's if you're ok with being close to the neighborhood, you live in now.
Nothing falling in my cb and there are not a lot of developments in queens sadly. I guess I have to get another job and get marketer rate at this point. Life in general is hard and expensive

Old 08-24-2022, 08:43 AM

99 posts, read 80,986 times
Congrats!! Hoping to be one of ur neighbors there soon lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery