Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 12:41 AM

12 posts, read 8,102 times

Advertisements

I feel a bit betrayed and duped into this apartment. I was virtually shown a studio in a building that the listing says specifically "All 29 affordable units boast an in unit washer/dryer" almost 2 weeks after signing the lease, I receive an email from the management company quote

"We wanted to inform you that the apt you applied for does not come with a washer and dryer in unit.
We apologize if you thought this was the case.
Please let us know if you are still interested in the unit or not."

Do I have any recourse for this? This is in addition to a few other shady things that have gone down during this lottery process.

Would love to hear opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2022, 05:01 AM

200 posts, read 219,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clebkny View Post
I feel a bit betrayed and duped into this apartment. I was virtually shown a studio in a building that the listing says specifically "All 29 affordable units boast an in unit washer/dryer" almost 2 weeks after signing the lease, I receive an email from the management company quote

"We wanted to inform you that the apt you applied for does not come with a washer and dryer in unit.

Do I have any recourse for this? This is in addition to a few other shady things that have gone down during this lottery process.

off hand: you have to prove your damages.
i.e.: what irrevocable costs have you already incurred since signing

Old 08-29-2022, 06:47 AM

172 posts, read 244,637 times
Sorry that happened, that sucks!

Did the apartment viewing show a washer & dryer? Did they say that specific apartment would be yours? Does the lease mention anything about a washer/dryer?

Old 08-29-2022, 07:03 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
All services including appliances a tenant is supposed to receive are spelled out in initial lease, and or riders. If none of paperwork mentions in unit washer and dryer....

Quick Goggle of "all 29 affordable units boast an in unit washer/dryer" is mentioned on HC and other websites showing lottery listing for one particular building. Assuming that is one OP is living in why not reach out to city housing agency to see what is what.

There must be at least 28 other lottery tenants in same building who either do or don't have in unit washer and dryer.

Old 08-29-2022, 07:07 AM

138 posts, read 163,836 times
Why didn't they let you see your unit in person?

Old 08-29-2022, 07:56 AM

172 posts, read 244,637 times
Also once you signed the lease didn’t you get the keys to the apartment? Have you not been there yet?

Old 08-29-2022, 07:59 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,402,143 times
This part is confusing

"Please let us know if you are still interested in the unit or not."

Have you signed the lease yet?

Old 08-29-2022, 09:13 AM

12 posts, read 8,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWhatUsedToBe View Post
off hand: you have to prove your damages.
i.e.: what irrevocable costs have you already incurred since signing

Wouldnt the costs be, with every time i go to a laundromat and spend money to do my laundry? minus the average electricity and waater cost to run at home? idk its all pretty shady

Old 08-29-2022, 09:22 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,840,418 times
Question about the bolded sentence, I understand you got this email AFTER you signed your lease but the management still asked you whether or not you will still be interested in the unit? Based on this, does it mean your lease can be terminated if you are no longer interested on the unit they offered you?...

If you are indeed not interested anymore & you haven't moved in yet, you may want to ask your LL if the lease can be terminated because once you move in, the process will be harder.

Quote:

Old 08-29-2022, 09:33 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,890,990 times
Quote:

i gotta see the ad that states this before i formulate my opinion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: