Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2023, 10:42 AM

5 posts, read 3,856 times

Advertisements

Happy new year everyone! After a long year of waiting my family & i have been finally approved! We sign lease this week & i just wanted to know what advice can you guys give me. I’d like to add this is my VERY first apartment, we are a family of four, my partner & i & our small two boys. 70% AMI & cb preference. Please guys I’m open to any information as i mentioned this is my very first apartment EVER especially through housing connect — Never thought this day would happen. Anyway, happy new year to all and again ANY advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2023, 11:21 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,439,550 times
Congrats and Happy New Year!

As far as the actual lease signing, there isn't much choice you have. You are basically offered a lease and you can sign it or not. I would say that it is important to actually read your lease and any included riders so that you know what you're agreeing to, particularly around pets (if that applies, may in the future), any building rules mentioned, renewals etc. And second, I'd recommend signing an initial 2 year lease unless you plan to leave sooner (doesn't sound like it in your case) so that you are locked in to that initial rent for longer.

Otherwise, you'll just sign the lease, get a move date, and start enjoying your new apt soon! Congrats again!

Old 01-01-2023, 11:35 AM

40 posts, read 36,048 times
only advice would be to ask for a copy. most places will give you one, but always make sure you have a copy. It's going to be a ton of small print. Make sure the big things you are aware of, for example pets, etc. Make sure you see the monthly rent in black and white on the page.

Old 01-03-2023, 11:49 AM

139 posts, read 141,165 times
I just got my place recently too. Since it's your first place. Do you have furniture? I ask because I'm in the process of attaining a one-shot deal of a security deposit and asking for a furniture voucher. they could also help with moving costs. It's something to look into. But yeah, get a copy of your lease and know your moving procedures. Also, try to put money aside for the future in case you decide to get a house later on.

Old 01-03-2023, 08:15 PM

15 posts, read 18,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annau0209 View Post
I just got my place recently too. Since it's your first place. Do you have furniture? I ask because I'm in the process of attaining a one-shot deal of a security deposit and asking for a furniture voucher. they could also help with moving costs. It's something to look into. But yeah, get a copy of your lease and know your moving procedures. Also, try to put money aside for the future in case you decide to get a house later on.
Do they give first month rent and security or just security? And does it take long to process?
Im looking into getting a one shot deal as well for when I finally get approved with HPD for a rerental!!

Old 01-04-2023, 10:48 AM

411 posts, read 228,155 times
Definitely look for the extra rent stabilization rider and note if there is a time limit. As mentioned before, pay attention to 1 year vs 2. My agent said "oh you don't have to sign a two year" and like a shmo... I didn't and now have an extra increase to pay.

Old 01-04-2023, 06:50 PM

139 posts, read 141,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtahCup View Post
Do they give first month rent and security or just security? And does it take long to process?
Im looking into getting a one shot deal as well for when I finally get approved with HPD for a rerental!!
They both first month's rent and security.

Old 01-31-2023, 08:32 PM

20 posts, read 10,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vviirrgoatv8 View Post
Happy new year everyone! After a long year of waiting my family & i have been finally approved! We sign lease this week & i just wanted to know what advice can you guys give me. I’d like to add this is my VERY first apartment, we are a family of four, my partner & i & our small two boys. 70% AMI & cb preference. Please guys I’m open to any information as i mentioned this is my very first apartment EVER especially through housing connect — Never thought this day would happen. Anyway, happy new year to all and again ANY advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Good evening, what were the outcomes after signing your lease with a housing connect building? Did you have to break your current lease? Were there penalties?

I'm new to housing connect as well and I wanted to know if there is any assistance provided towards breaking your current lease? Does anyone have any experience towards that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: