Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2023, 05:11 PM

2 posts, read 4,540 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I've been called for an interview ( after 10+ years being on the Waitlist ) for a 1 bedroom at Confucius Plaza.
I'm new to the whole Housing Lottery, and this will be my 1st interview. I have some questions about CP, and the process in general.

1) How is CP, and what is it like living there?
2) In my application, I asked to rent the unit. I don't think my family qualifies, given that Mitchell Lama max for rental is around 95k or so, if I'm not mistaken. My family is a party of 3, with an annual income slightly more than 100k. Can I switch to co-op?
3) If I decide on the co-op, I suppose all renovations / costs would be on me?
4) In general, how soon would I be able to see the actual unit during the Application Process?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2023, 06:23 PM

290 posts, read 274,672 times
I thought CP was only Coop. I didn't know it was also available as a rental.

Old 01-13-2023, 08:20 AM

55 posts, read 50,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fs_man View Post
Hi everyone,

I've been called for an interview (after 10+ years being on the Waitlist) for a 1 bedroom at Confucius Plaza.
I'm new to the whole Housing Lottery, and this will be my 1st interview. I have some questions about CP, and the process in general.

2) In my application, I asked to rent the unit. I don't think my family qualifies, given that Mitchell Lama max for rental is around 95k or so, if I'm not mistaken. My family is a party of 3, with an annual income slightly more than 100k. Can I switch to co-op?
4) In general, how soon would I be able to see the actual unit during the Application Process?

Wow, congrats! Each management is slightly different. But from experience the "interview" is short and sweet. Typical financial and family structure questions. A tour of the available apartment(s), and they give you a lot of documents to sign and have notarized to return by a specified date. Sometimes its within two weeks! So be prepared to take a day off of work to just deal with all that business type stuff.

Since this building is older, I'm curious if you will have to purchase your own appliances. (Yes, renovations are totally on you.) But a good piece of advice. You can make anything better overtime.

Take a slow walk video tour of the apartment, have a prepared list of questions. Consider safety procedures and fire prevention since you have kids. Ask about storage, parking, laundry, any extra amenities.

I don't think you will have a choice to rent. If you get a floor plan post it here, it's so hard to find floorplans for Mitchell Lama Apartments anywhere online.

Old 01-13-2023, 08:48 AM

828 posts, read 767,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLandHF View Post
If you get a floor plan post it here, it's so hard to find floorplans for Mitchell Lama Apartments anywhere online.
It's hit or miss, but sometimes those ML buildings posted marketing brochures and they show up in this archive (link below). Either way, it's fun to browse floorplans of old buildings.

https://dlc.library.columbia.edu/nyre

Old 01-13-2023, 01:44 PM

18 posts, read 18,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fs_man View Post
Hi everyone,

I've been called for an interview ( after 10+ years being on the Waitlist ) for a 1 bedroom at Confucius Plaza.

Hi and congrats.

I moved into CP last yr and I posted my whole experience. I’m not sure how to post that link here though.
It’s peaceful here and safe. No porch pirates and no noisy neighbors. Conveniently located.
I rent and they look at the adjusted gross income and not the gross.
Renovation and appliance upgrade is completely out of pocket.
You see the unit on the day of interview.
Utilities are included in rent.

Best of luck neighbor!!!

Old 01-13-2023, 02:09 PM

55 posts, read 50,897 times
Were you offered to purchase a co-op? How much is it?

Old 01-13-2023, 02:17 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,628,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLandHF View Post
Were you offered to purchase a co-op? How much is it?
Yes, the situation is confusing to me. How does a rental have a purchase price too?
The December, 2022 lottery said this, ‘ THREE & FOUR BEDROOM RENTAL APARTMENT WAITING LIST ARE BEING OPENED’. I bolded ‘Rental’.

The notice also mentions, ‘ Purchase Price**, $3420, and $3990’.
What ‘purchase’ do they mean if this is a Rental? Is it like a security deposit or some such? The dollar amounts are extremely low is it were a co-op purchase.

Old 01-13-2023, 08:11 PM

1,034 posts, read 672,414 times
I just can’t get over the fact that OP was 10+ years on the waitlist.

Old 01-14-2023, 08:34 PM

2 posts, read 4,540 times
Hi all.

I'm planning to go in for the interview late next week, so hoping all turns out well then. I'll let you know how it goes afterwards. Thanks everyone for your insights.

I hope the 10 or so years of waiting is worth it. I currently live in a small studio apartment, so I think its a good upgrade.

Old 02-28-2023, 07:29 AM

61 posts, read 65,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
I just can’t get over the fact that OP was 10+ years on the waitlist.
Not unusual, I have been on two different lists for over 15 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery