Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2023, 10:12 AM

24 posts, read 18,768 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

Has anyone won a Mitchell Lama Lottery For 21 St. James over, Brooklyn, NY? I need some information on the size of the apartments and if the building is managed well. I called the Management Office but trying to get information is like pulling teeth. They are reluctant and mysterious. Seems a little shady to me, ie holding apartments for friends and family and not disclosing information.

Thank you to all who respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2023, 12:05 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,626,371 times
(I will not confirm nor deny that I work for St James or any other M-L)

You have made a common assumption, that you are entitled to Market Rate style Customer Service from a M-L. But, basically, there is no financial, revenue, or profit incentive here for St James to hire extra people or resources to sell their product. The product sells itself with its amazing low regulated price and maintenance costs.

A M-L can’t raise rents or maintenance to support having commercial level Customer Service, particularly for non residents even if they might soon be residents.

I suppose the St James co-op board could propose a vote to charge every co-op owner extra money each month to create and maintain a fancy public web page with floor plans, up to date photos, chat feature, and to have a call center to book tours, and so on. I would never vote for such a proposal. I would vote money for things that matter to me as an OWNER, like new carpet in the halls, more landscaping, bonuses for deserving staff that serve owners.

You have come very near to making an accusation of malfeasance at St James
This could basically alienate those that might assist you. Please consider that residents of St James might have a high opinion of the Management Office. If this is so, they might be now reluctant to reply here to assist you with a post here.

Likewise, employees of St James including those in the Management Office might now take the same attitude. Given the short list of people presently being offered to buy at St James, such people might be trying to guess your identity.

It might seem odd, but St James has almost zero incentive to offer Customer Service in this situation of prospective buyers. Indeed, it could be viewed as an expense that will not bring any revenue or profit. This is because buying a co-op at St James is an amazing value for money that there will always be a next buyer. The co-ops sell themselves at the regulated prices, the waiter does not have an incentive to answer questions about the menu or today’s special.

You should seriously consider passing or putting your application on hold for up to a year to give yourself time to get the answers you want.

For historic reasons, not conspiracy reasons, there is relatively very very little info online about M-L buildings. I will just offer one reason, the last M-L was built about twenty year before the internet became popular in just a few homes in the City.

Good luck and good patience.

Old 06-01-2023, 01:54 AM

24 posts, read 18,768 times
Good Morning,

Wow, seems I really touched a nerve. Please accept my apology. No malfeasance accusation by me. I simply asked a question on this forum and expressed my experience in trying to obtain information. Anyone who is spending their hard earned dollars whether it's for a new television or a ML apartment has the right to ask questions and the people selling the products should be forthcoming with information being requested. No sir, I do not have an application to put on hold for a year. You have given me all the information I need. And for the record is it not unheard of for people who control apartments, housing including ML to manipulate lists, hold apartments and not show other apartments. No accusations Sir just a fact of the times that we live i. I meant no disrespect or offense to you.

Have a great day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: