Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2023, 09:04 AM

111 posts, read 100,424 times

Advertisements

Why some posters who won their unit, sometimes years ago, still come here regularly? Are they addicted?

I'm mature enough to admit im jealous when people say the won and go on and on about their amazing new apartment and the problems they have with the pool closing too early. Just being honest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2023, 09:10 AM

6,680 posts, read 6,022,713 times
There are many other things to discuss on this forum than lotteries. I’ve been on the forum since 2011 to discuss issues none of which were about lotteries.

Old 05-06-2023, 09:11 AM

248 posts, read 219,371 times
I don’t mind them come on here telling their success stories and pass on information that could help me when my log is reached. Sometimes they also win a unit that is too small but at the time it was their only hope so they are back on here to try their luck again. Good luck to all of us

Old 05-06-2023, 09:17 AM

111 posts, read 100,424 times
Ditto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denellis View Post
I don’t mind them come on here telling their success stories and pass on information that could help me when my log is reached. Sometimes they also win a unit that is too small but at the time it was their only hope so they are back on here to try their luck again. Good luck to all of us

Old 05-06-2023, 09:29 AM

4,766 posts, read 6,555,721 times
Affordable housing has become a hobby of mine. I've been here since 2015. I helped my daughter win two lotteries, which enabled her to continue living in Manhattan, not far from me. So I am acting out of enlightened self-interest in helping her!

Now I'm trying to help a friend of hers find something affordable. I am also on one wait list myself, for a Mitchell Lama apartment, and like to keep up with what's happening.

Old 05-06-2023, 10:54 AM

31 posts, read 42,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Affordable housing has become a hobby of mine. I've been here since 2015. I helped my daughter win two lotteries, which enabled her to continue living in Manhattan, not far from me. So I am acting out of enlightened self-interest in helping her!

Now I'm trying to help a friend of hers find something affordable. I am also on one wait list myself, for a Mitchell Lama apartment, and like to keep up with what's happening.
If you have any insights that could help one of us it would be greatly appreciated

Old 05-06-2023, 12:13 PM

390 posts, read 350,115 times
Shoot, I won one in January and got called back off a waiting list for another one earlier this week.

Old 05-06-2023, 01:16 PM

166 posts, read 174,273 times
I won but long term I want to be in a better neighborhood/bigger apt*

Old 05-06-2023, 02:24 PM

2,005 posts, read 1,626,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaDarling7708 View Post
Yes, exactly. Some past winners might want change for any type of reason. The household grew or shrank. They seek a better financial deal. They changed jobs and now the commute is a burden. They are not overjoyed with where they live. They want parking. And so on.

Old 05-06-2023, 03:15 PM

684 posts, read 1,819,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaDarling7708 View Post
Exactly! I won the one im in currently when I was 25 and needed to leave home. Its an extremely tight studio but I just needed something at the time. Im older and desire something different. Just because someone won the lottery doesn't mean they can't aspire for more/different than anyone else out here, and for whatever reason that may be (job, family, neighborhood, apt size etc..)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: