Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2023, 02:08 PM

2,031 posts, read 1,645,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by candcnyc View Post
Hi -- My e-signed docs were sent to HDP (HDC?) for final approval on 10/10, and I received approval on 10/18. I was able to tour the unit the next day.

I have not yet signed my lease because I can't get a response from the contact at the building's rental management company. It's frustrating since it's been over a week, but HDP assures I won't be penalized (ie lose the unit).
Hang in there. You are CB preference, 6xx, for a studio, correct? Do you mind sharing 40% or 60% AMI? If you are a two person household you might qualify for both but only subject to availability.

For those readers that want a review of circumstances for this lottery. Studios: 11 units are 40% AMI Studios, the only units at 40% AMI. The 5 other Studios are 60% AMI. All 16 Studios only accept 1 and 2 person households.

1 bedrooms: There are 7 units, 4 at 60% AMI, 3 at 130% AMI. Min. income $46K. 1, 2, and 3 person households only.

2 bedrooms: 5 total, 60% and 130% AMI. Min. income $55K. 2 person household minimum.

28 units total. 14 go to Manhattan Community Board 6 preference. 3 to 5 units go other preference categories.

For 2 person households and larger there can be some income overlap at 40% and 60%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2023, 04:49 PM

8 posts, read 6,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candcnyc View Post
Hi -- My e-signed docs were sent to HDP (HDC?) for final approval on 10/10, and I received approval on 10/18. I was able to tour the unit the next day.

I have not yet signed my lease because I can't get a response from the contact at the building's rental management company. It's frustrating since it's been over a week, but HDP assures I won't be penalized (ie lose the unit).
That's frustrating. It seems like there are a lot of frustrations with the rental management company.

But congratulations on actually getting approved for a unit! (And thank you for sharing status with the rest of us)

Old 10-26-2023, 05:15 PM

77 posts, read 41,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
Hang in there. You are CB preference, 6xx, for a studio, correct? Do you mind sharing 40% or 60% AMI? If you are a two person household you might qualify for both but only subject to availability.
Thanks! I just can't bring my self to celebrate--or even really believe it--until the lease is signed! It's been a wild ride.

Yes, that is correct. I'm 40% AMI, single person household, so I knew it'd be a studio regardless.

Since others will ask: I was assigned a unit, which was on the TIC & e-signed paperwork sent in for final approval. There were no choices or options. I toured it after the final approval was complete.

My top tip from this: read the Marketing Handbook (link) and other links WildAboutHarry has posted on here. Know your situation thoroughly and how it fits within the requirements, so you can present your paperwork and situation clearly, adding clarification as needed. The latter is especially useful for complicated or 'messy' assets, debt, income, etc.

Old 10-26-2023, 06:12 PM

77 posts, read 41,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookerd View Post
That's frustrating. It seems like there are a lot of frustrations with the rental management company.

But congratulations on actually getting approved for a unit! (And thank you for sharing status with the rest of us)
Thank you!! I don't think I'll believe it until I move in

I had no problems working with HPDC (the acronym they used in emails). They had many requests for additional docs and clarifications in a very short time frame, but I was very familiar with the marketing handbook, searched this site for info, and could figure out what they were missing or trying to make sense of. They were clear and quick on turnarounds and responses.

The building's property management company, however, has been frustrating for the scheduled tour (they didn't show up, lol) and lease signing. To be clear, it is not a city agency or HPDC or part of the approval process.

Old 10-26-2023, 06:31 PM

37 posts, read 27,089 times
Does anyone knows how income calculation base + commission works? I’m super concerned that because of commission they reject me for going over the income. On average is not a very substancial amount, but this year ended up being more than usual.
Any insights are welcome!! If anyone has the same situation and have been to this process before…

Old 10-26-2023, 08:59 PM

62 posts, read 45,050 times
They look at your last year’s taxes and last 6 paystubs. Your last year’s taxes and last 6 paystubs need to fall within the income ranges listed for your AMI. If either are over then they will reject you. I was rejected from an apt earlier this year because my 2022 taxes were higher due to my higher than usual commission payout. Even though this year I was set to make way less and even had my manager and HR write me a letter stating that I was set to make significantly less this year, it didn’t matter. Super frustrating.

Old 10-27-2023, 07:31 PM

37 posts, read 27,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djembe25 View Post
They look at your last year’s taxes and last 6 paystubs. Your last year’s taxes and last 6 paystubs need to fall within the income ranges listed for your AMI. If either are over then they will reject you. I was rejected from an apt earlier this year because my 2022 taxes were higher due to my higher than usual commission payout. Even though this year I was set to make way less and even had my manager and HR write me a letter stating that I was set to make significantly less this year, it didn’t matter. Super frustrating.
Oh wow, I guess I was expecting for a little hope here My last year tax return it’s in the income range, but I’m assuming my paystubs will be over the range. Hopefully I’m mistaken, I was really expecting this time would work out… thank you for your answer!

Old 10-30-2023, 08:09 AM

8 posts, read 7,843 times
They wrongly rejected me. I was stupidly banking on this and have no form of recourse now.
thats the best chance possible, CB and a super low log... all for nothing.
I absolutely HATE housing Partnership, HPD, and the city of NY. congrats to you all who get it.

Old 10-30-2023, 09:10 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,453,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAFR View Post
Oh wow, I guess I was expecting for a little hope here My last year tax return it’s in the income range, but I’m assuming my paystubs will be over the range. Hopefully I’m mistaken, I was really expecting this time would work out… thank you for your answer!
Don't reject yourself, that is their job if it comes to that. That said, your recent paystubs will hold more weight than last year's taxes as they are way more recent and reflective of your current, and likely future, income.

Old 10-30-2023, 09:11 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,453,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoogieHouser View Post
They wrongly rejected me. I was stupidly banking on this and have no form of recourse now.
thats the best chance possible, CB and a super low log... all for nothing.
I absolutely HATE housing Partnership, HPD, and the city of NY. congrats to you all who get it.
Did you already appeal? There is a process for recourse if you believe you were wrongly rejected and have documentation to show where they got it wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery