Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2023, 11:43 AM

800 posts, read 729,866 times

Advertisements

Irrelevant but one of their ex doorman created funny doorman related content on tiktok. Had me wishing I was living in that building lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2023, 12:06 PM

172 posts, read 243,736 times
Such a shame about the robberies. I wonder if you’ll be able to put your own lock in the door?

Old 08-24-2023, 08:10 PM

186 posts, read 267,932 times
Nightmare !!! Nightmare you'll be more desperate to get out !!! robberies are true so is the Airbnb

Old 08-24-2023, 08:24 PM

250 posts, read 250,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost20 View Post
Irrelevant but one of their ex doorman created funny doorman related content on tiktok. Had me wishing I was living in that building lol.
Can you share the tik tok? I’d like to watch lol

Old 08-25-2023, 10:44 AM

44 posts, read 45,895 times
Can anyone figure out from the confusing posting which units at which rents are offered in the "one 40% one bedroom, one 60% studio, two 120% Studio"? Typical of a waiting list to offer all the originally offered apartments -- which are no longer available -- plus the new ones that have just become available.

Old 08-25-2023, 12:12 PM

45 posts, read 45,923 times
It shows that in total they have 295 units available: 102 Studios, 143 One-Bedroom, and 50 Two-Bedroom

Old 08-27-2023, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gioia_joy View Post
It shows that in total they have 295 units available: 102 Studios, 143 One-Bedroom, and 50 Two-Bedroom
Thank you for trying, but that's not the answer, and it's really not your fault. I can certainly understand why you'd make that error.

Let me explain.

This type of posting is never so simple as tallying up the apparent total offered.

This is a waiting list, not the original offering. What we're seeing -- what we usually see in waiting lists -- is the original lottery as first offered. That is, when they first opened the new building lottery before the building was occupied.

In this case the original lottery was in 2015. That's where you'd see a total like 295 units available. If you're interested, here's the city-data thread on that original 2015 offering: https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...w-42nd-st.html

Looks from that thread like they started posting log numbers on 8/5/15.

But when they open waiting lists it is always for a much smaller -- a tiny -- number of apartments, because only a small minority of lottery-winners have moved out. And, as is the case here, it can be totally unclear how many they have available now, this round. But usually there's a sentence in the description saying which ones they're talking about now for the waiting list. That sentence is absent from the waiting list post.

Usually that's in the single digits or low double digits. It's often very hard to figure out these waiting lists.

Old 08-27-2023, 02:31 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,884,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnty View Post
Can anyone figure out from the confusing posting which units at which rents are offered in the "one 40% one bedroom, one 60% studio, two 120% Studio"?
its not confusing. its layed right out on the line. the 4 apts are what they're renting out soon. they're saying, if you want to be considered for any other apts that come up, after they've rented out those 4, LATER, hence why it says WAITING LIST apply.

Old 08-27-2023, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
its not confusing. its layed right out on the line. the 4 apts are what they're renting out soon. they're saying, if you want to be considered for any other apts that come up, after they've rented out those 4, LATER, hence why it says WAITING LIST apply.
No, Hell, I saw that. But I still couldn't figure out from the post what the rents were for the four particular offered apartments. That was my original question that you quoted. If you have the answer, or better yet, a way of finding the answer in this and similar waiting lists, I'd be very interested in learning it.

Thanks!

Old 08-27-2023, 03:24 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,884,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnty View Post
No, Hell, I saw that. But I still couldn't figure out from the post what the rents were for the four particular offered apartments. That was my original question that you quoted. If you have the answer, or better yet, a way of finding the answer in this and similar waiting lists, I'd be very interested in learning it.

Thanks!
they go by every rent 2 to 5% increase approved by the RGB since that original posting in 2015, so the rent will be higher, but not that much. whoever wins will get the 2023 rent that they can charge now, not the rent posted in 15.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery