Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2023, 11:03 PM

26 posts, read 16,732 times

Advertisements

I only joined the forums a little while ago but have been an avid silent reader for 2 years. This is such a great space and provides so much insight into all that goes into seeking affordable housing in our city.

I started applying to Housing Connect in 2021 after getting my first full time job after battling an auto immune disease that left me blind in one eye and on a heavy regiment of medications and frequent doctors visits.

I was contacted for the first time in April of 2022 Log#6××× for a building in Queens. I was stunned to say the least and submitted my documents only to not hear back until July 2022 with a 5 day notice. I quickly submitted them and got an appointment to view the unit and sign affidavits. Then silence. I contacted the leasing agent every week only to be given the run around. I waited five months only to be told I was wait listed. Heartbroken didn't even begin to describe.

In May of 2023 I was contacted for a second building in Queens Log # 5××× and I was shocked to get the email. I hadn't been expecting it and quickly sent my documents. A week or two passed and they emailed me back to say all set aside units in my AMI were filled and I would be put on a wait list. While I was disappointed I hadn't gotten my hopes up as high having been through the first experience but being contacted twice gave me a little hope.

In August of 2023 I was contacted for a third building this time in Brooklyn. Log# 13××× . I still had the documents I had submitted three months prior saved and just needed updated pay stubs which I quickly submitted same day. Again I didn't get my hopes up having been disappointed twice. I sent the documents expecting nothing. A week later I was contacted for a second round and sent those too, again thinking I've been through this before but I'm going to give it to God. I started getting excited on the low but tried my best not to. A week after that I got an offer to come see the unit and sign paperwork and deliver my money order. I thought, yeah I been through this part too...but I'm gonna make this happen. And I went. A week later I got an email that said my file was being sent to the city and to start preparing to move. I was FLOORED. this part I had never experienced and I felt it in my soul that this time this was going to work. I waited and then seven days later I got the email that I was APPROVED.

I signed my lease seven days later and have offially moved in to my first apartment. I'm so glad I didn't give up hope after the first and second time.i stick through, stayed the course and this forum has been so amazing with all of the resources and experiences and answers to various questions. It has definitely made the already nerve racking process just a little easier. So thank you all for that.

This is my testimony and experience and to just let whomever needs to know while it may not happen the first time, second time, third or fourth, even if your log number is in the four, five or six digit range, you will get there and your keys will be in your hand. Just pray, manifest, and make sure all of your documents are up to date and you send them in just as quickly as they ask for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2023, 05:23 AM

828 posts, read 777,665 times
Great story! Thanks for sharing and giving hope.

Old 09-29-2023, 07:51 AM

50 posts, read 59,863 times
Congratulations sounds like a roller coaster but you made it passed the finish line

Old 09-29-2023, 08:46 AM

4,783 posts, read 6,592,897 times
Thank you for posting. I'm happy that this forum was helpful to you! It's heartwarming to see people helping one another.

I give you credit for hanging in there and not getting discouraged. It's not an easy process to go through. I wish you many happy years in your new home!

Old 09-29-2023, 08:51 AM

264 posts, read 315,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chprincess09 View Post
I only joined the forums a little while ago but have been an avid silent reader for 2 years. This is such a great space and provides so much insight into all that goes into seeking affordable housing in our city.

I started applying to Housing Connect in 2021 after getting my first full time job after battling an auto immune disease that left me blind in one eye and on a heavy regiment of medications and frequent doctors visits.

I was contacted for the first time in April of 2022 Log#6××× for a building in Queens. I was stunned to say the least and submitted my documents only to not hear back until July 2022 with a 5 day notice. I quickly submitted them and got an appointment to view the unit and sign affidavits. Then silence. I contacted the leasing agent every week only to be given the run around. I waited five months only to be told I was wait listed. Heartbroken didn't even begin to describe.

In May of 2023 I was contacted for a second building in Queens Log # 5××× and I was shocked to get the email. I hadn't been expecting it and quickly sent my documents. A week or two passed and they emailed me back to say all set aside units in my AMI were filled and I would be put on a wait list. While I was disappointed I hadn't gotten my hopes up as high having been through the first experience but being contacted twice gave me a little hope.

In August of 2023 I was contacted for a third building this time in Brooklyn. Log# 13××× . I still had the documents I had submitted three months prior saved and just needed updated pay stubs which I quickly submitted same day. Again I didn't get my hopes up having been disappointed twice. I sent the documents expecting nothing. A week later I was contacted for a second round and sent those too, again thinking I've been through this before but I'm going to give it to God. I started getting excited on the low but tried my best not to. A week after that I got an offer to come see the unit and sign paperwork and deliver my money order. I thought, yeah I been through this part too...but I'm gonna make this happen. And I went. A week later I got an email that said my file was being sent to the city and to start preparing to move. I was FLOORED. this part I had never experienced and I felt it in my soul that this time this was going to work. I waited and then seven days later I got the email that I was APPROVED.

I signed my lease seven days later and have offially moved in to my first apartment. I'm so glad I didn't give up hope after the first and second time.i stick through, stayed the course and this forum has been so amazing with all of the resources and experiences and answers to various questions. It has definitely made the already nerve racking process just a little easier. So thank you all for that.

This is my testimony and experience and to just let whomever needs to know while it may not happen the first time, second time, third or fourth, even if your log number is in the four, five or six digit range, you will get there and your keys will be in your hand. Just pray, manifest, and make sure all of your documents are up to date and you send them in just as quickly as they ask for them.
Congratulations to you!! I hope you have nothing short of happiness in your new home, and thank you for providing hope for anyone going through this process.

Old 09-29-2023, 10:04 AM

3,152 posts, read 2,746,875 times
Congratulations! Perseverance pays off!

Old 09-29-2023, 04:14 PM

20 posts, read 10,831 times
Congratulations! Hope you love your new home! Hope is indeed much needed with this process <3

Old 09-29-2023, 09:47 PM

394 posts, read 572,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chprincess09 View Post

WOW Thanks for sharing....Ive been spiraling back down to that point I'm sure many of us have been in where they are working hard and just being stagnant in the lower AMI which has lower success rates and 2. completely giving on on this "lottery" as a whole and moving on.
Ive had low logs and no calls but I guess everything happens for a reason.

Congrats on the new home and thanks for spreading positivity on the forum !!!1

Old 09-30-2023, 09:39 PM

26 posts, read 16,732 times
Thank you everyone for the well wishes, they are greatly appreciated!! Don't give up!!

Old 10-01-2023, 08:48 AM

173 posts, read 132,395 times
Amazing story. Congrats and enjoy your new home!!! This was a much needed read for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: