Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2023, 01:44 PM

111 posts, read 72,423 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

So I’m currently living in hell, they are aware and agree there is an issue, but say they can not move more there aren’t anymore units left in my AMI. What baffles me is that this was an issue created by the developers etc, not me.

Have you’ll ever heard of a person being given a unit outside of their AMI due to an issue?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2023, 01:49 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,862,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aly_girl1 View Post
Hi everyone,

So I’m currently living in hell, they are aware and agree there is an issue, but say they can not move more there aren’t anymore units left in my AMI. What baffles me is that this was an issue created by the developers etc, not me.

Have you’ll ever heard of a person being given a unit outside of their AMI due to an issue?
I was offered one in a higher AMI - I took it because I wanted out. Both apts were the same exact layouts, just higher floor.

Old 12-05-2023, 02:00 PM

But, you qualified units in both AMIs, correct?

Old 12-05-2023, 02:30 PM

Quote:
But, you qualified units in both AMIs, correct?
This was about 3 years ago, I don't remember but I know my rent increased about $300. That said, the agency was Breaking Ground and months after moving in, I met a tenant who asked for and received a two bedroom though she wasn't qualified.

Old 12-05-2023, 04:57 PM

Oh wow! This agency is Rockrose! Pray for me

Old 12-05-2023, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Oh wow! This agency is Rockrose! Pray for me
I think they are all shady. Mine was audited fight before I was approved for my apt. They assigned a studio to another tenant in the building and after going through (or while) HPD told them she should’ve been assigned a one bedroom not a studio.She is an attorney and worked for the city (that made me wonder if that was why) When I did my transfer it was through my building management but I think they responded because I sent a strongly worded email to HPD.

This is a partial email from the Compliance Director, “Please know, in the past we did not allow internal transfers for residents in income-restricted units but we recently changed that policy. Transfers are now permitted as long as residents are in good standing, not in a low-income unit”

The annoyance was they would never say what their policy was, in addition I was middle income so if/when the policy changes they could have said given I had been asking.

Been there, wishing you all the luck!

Old 12-05-2023, 07:44 PM

2,023 posts, read 1,639,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
This was about 3 years ago, I don't remember but I know my rent increased about $300. That said, the agency was Breaking Ground and months after moving in, I met a tenant who asked for and received a two bedroom though she wasn't qualified.
Not qualified on household size, or Income, or both?

Old 12-05-2023, 07:47 PM

2,023 posts, read 1,639,492 times
The idea is, at lease time you are entitled to know about any and all units that are available.

Old 12-05-2023, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
Not qualified on household size, or Income, or both?
She mentioned that she wanted to have a guest room for when her brother visited, she told her agent she was open to a two bedroom, agent said it was more $$ she said she didn’t care. So I guess in that scenario it’s household size. No clue how she got away with that. I’m not surprised though. For another lottery I was denied a one bedroom for making too much $$ but she suggested I find someone to “add” and get a two bedroom. I declined, not lying my way into anything.

Old 12-05-2023, 08:39 PM

I guess every agency is different. In mines the know the unit is unlivable due to the lease. But refuses to give me another unit because they say there are no more in my AMI. So when I come home, I sit in the lobby or game room until 11:30 the squash/ gold room closes. So for ex. I’ve been sitting here for 5 hours. And I guess this will be my life for another year unless I take them to court. I can’t afford to pay this rent and another apartment.

The worst part about it, is that they simply refuse to spend the money to fix the issue, put up some 99cent door deals and said deal with it. I don’t even know the first step in taking them to court, but I don’t know what else to do. Meanwhile, my entire day will be spend sitting in a public area like a homeless person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery