Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2023, 10:59 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,453,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djembe25 View Post
To that point, I don’t think it’s fair for a couple, married or not, to win a 2 bedroom apt. If you plan to sleep in the same bed, there is no reason why a couple should have an extra bedroom, unless they are expecting. There are so many families out there who could really benefit from a 2 bedroom, not a couple who just wants an office or something. Seems like not all lotteries follow this rule but it’s just what I believe to be fair.
I'm am pretty sure this is the policy, not to say there are never exceptions or mistakes.

Unless the 2 adults are a parent and an adult child, a couple would not qualify for a 2br. I'm not sure how "roommates" that *can* show interdependance, like maybe a pair of adult siblings that want to live together and have joint accounts, are handled. I would think it would depend on the agency and how the documentation shakes out. The HPD review is supposed to catch these kinds of issues and make sure the rules are followed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2023, 09:43 PM

3,140 posts, read 2,735,240 times
Two people can get a two-bedroom now, but since this is a re-rental, there may be older rules at play.

Old 12-14-2023, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
Two people can get a two-bedroom now, but since this is a re-rental, there may be older rules at play.
If they are 2 adults though I believe they have to show the interdependance. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think 2 adults who are a couple or a non-couple that can't prove they are a "household" in some real sense will be able to get a 2br lottery apartment together.

Old 12-15-2023, 10:17 AM

115 posts, read 69,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linamonroll View Post
If they are 2 adults though I believe they have to show the interdependance. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think 2 adults who are a couple or a non-couple that can't prove they are a "household" in some real sense will be able to get a 2br lottery apartment together.
MMMM I am really not sure the rules but I am talking only to my experience. We have 0 interdependence other than we started living together in 2021. No joint accounts, assets or anything like that, and we got the two bedroom.

Old 12-15-2023, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgome013 View Post
MMMM I am really not sure the rules but I am talking only to my experience. We have 0 interdependence other than we started living together in 2021. No joint accounts, assets or anything like that, and we got the two bedroom.
Not denying your experience, but that would be not the proper procedure. Per HPD:

"Household" at admission shall mean (i) a single person, or (ii) two or more
persons who:
a. are Immediate Family Members;
b. are Extended Family Members who need to live together in order to
support one another with respect to finances, child care, eldercare,
medical care, or other extenuating family circumstance, as indicated
by self-certifications explaining the family circumstances and needs;
or
c. are financially interdependent, as indicated by (i) current leases or
utility records demonstrating a shared address, or (ii) documentation,
such as bank accounts, demonstrating shared assets

If you did not meet these criteria, you were likely incorrectly found eligible. Note that a current shared lease would show interdependence so that may have been how they processed you.

Old 12-15-2023, 10:49 AM

115 posts, read 69,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linamonroll View Post
Not denying your experience, but that would be not the proper procedure. Per HPD:

"Household" at admission shall mean (i) a single person, or (ii) two or more
persons who:
a. are Immediate Family Members;
b. are Extended Family Members who need to live together in order to
support one another with respect to finances, child care, eldercare,
medical care, or other extenuating family circumstance, as indicated
by self-certifications explaining the family circumstances and needs;
or
c. are financially interdependent, as indicated by (i) current leases or
utility records demonstrating a shared address, or (ii) documentation,
such as bank accounts, demonstrating shared assets

If you did not meet these criteria, you were likely incorrectly found eligible. Note that a current shared lease would show interdependence so that may have been how they processed you.
Ah! I guess since we had a previous lease together then it works. But then I mean I guess then any two roommates would be able to do it no? just have to previously live together

Old 12-15-2023, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgome013 View Post
Ah! I guess since we had a previous lease together then it works. But then I mean I guess then any two roommates would be able to do it no? just have to previously live together
I'm not sure. I think program is supposed to be designed for individuals and families, not roommates, but it may be that anyone who previously lived together could apply as a "household". I think it would depend on the agent and whether the applicants appealed a rejection, which might prompt HPD to clarify the rule.

Old 12-15-2023, 06:44 PM

What I meant was: look at the listings. A two-person household is a two-person household--*as long as they qualify AS A HOUSEHOLD*--and is eligible for a two-bedroom. It's not HPD's business to decide who should be sharing a bed with whom.

So,

2 randos who just met on the street = not a household = no apartment at all, much less a 2-bed
A parent and minor child, any age or sex = 2-person household, eligible for 2-bed
2 adults married to each other = 2-person household, eligible for 2-bed

These are the current rules, though. I think several years ago they were more restrictive.

Old 12-16-2023, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
What I meant was: look at the listings. A two-person household is a two-person household--*as long as they qualify AS A HOUSEHOLD*--and is eligible for a two-bedroom. It's not HPD's business to decide who should be sharing a bed with whom.

So,

2 randos who just met on the street = not a household = no apartment at all, much less a 2-bed
A parent and minor child, any age or sex = 2-person household, eligible for 2-bed
2 adults married to each other = 2-person household, eligible for 2-bed

These are the current rules, though. I think several years ago they were more restrictive.
I don't think anyone is denying these categories. But it seems 2 randos who are not related or a couple but are current roommates and can show a join lease, *might* be considered a household, thought I don't think that is the intent of the affordable housing program.

Old 12-16-2023, 08:35 PM

Unless I've misunderstood, I think people were saying that a married couple are not currently eligible for a 2-bed. They are.

I don't think a joint lease *in itself* will guarantee that an agency will find mutual financial interdependence. Usually roommates don't intermingle their finances that much beyond their joint responsibility for the rent. But if two unrelated, unromantically-involved people had been living together for a long time, sharing other accounts, supporting each other, they might (a "Golden Girls"-type situation). Easy to imagine two widows who were already good friends moving in together to save money and make looking after the household easier after their husbands died, for instance. No equitable reason they shouldn't qualify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery