Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 02:03 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Lets not forget about Adams houses, although in my personal opinion these are not very bad at all (on the border of Mott haven and Melrose)
Oh I could go on.....

Adams Houses
Jackson Houses
St Marys Park
Morrisania Houses
Morrisania Air rights (Vietnam Houses)
Bronxdale Houses
Sack Wern Houses
Millbrook Houses

These are off the top of my head.

LOL I think I named all the south Bronx projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 05:08 PM

4 posts, read 78,594 times
I AGREE MYSELF ABOUT MARBLE HILL THAT WAS MY FIRST CHOICE AND THEY KEPT PUTTING ME OFF ON OTHER LIST!!!!
but i was thinking about going to the developments im not familiar with... and castle i dont know because when i first moved to the bx i was in soundview by clason point but i hate soundview and kinda castlehill now....lol no offence to anyone but i hate the pjs although i never lived in them and i am just wondering if the break in the rent is worth it

Old 07-02-2008, 05:46 PM

172 posts, read 590,046 times
public housing is cool...apartment layouts are good and rent is very reasonable.....you just have to have tough skin.....not be too sensitive to noise and get used to stepping over strange puddles in your elevator........I don't blame you for not picking castle hill or soundview, they are both too far...I actually chose lincoln houses in harlem because even though its drug infested, I was more concerned with location. I wanted to be close to transportation and stores and not in the middle of no where...

Old 07-02-2008, 05:57 PM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Safer ones:

Castle Hill Houses
Dyckman Houses
Sedgwick Houses
Bailey Houses
Pelham Parkway Houses
Fort Independece Houses
Throggs Neck Houses

Dangerous:

Edenwald Houses
Mott Haven Houses
Patterson Houses
Mitchell Houses
Morris 1 & 2 Houses
Webster Houses
Butler Houses
Soundview Houses
Forrest Houses
Mckinley Houses

All are dangerous to a degree. Some more than others. There are a couple of other safer ones and a bunch more dangerous ones. All the projects in Brooklyn are bad.
you put castle hill as safer? i disagree. and dyckman's in manhattan. never been to throggs neck (other than passing by on the highway) but its so far by public transportation that i cant imagine who would want to move there. imagine trying to get to manhattan from there. but "safe" developments in the bronx are slim pickings. the problem with the bronx is that most of the projects are surrounded by crappy areas to begin with. same problem exists in harlem and central/northern brooklyn. also, i dont think parkside houses and gun hill houses are that bad by bronx standards. i havent been by parkside but i've been by gun hill and since they kinda close to each other i figure its the same thing.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-02-2008, 07:11 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,367,797 times
Is any public housing project in the city really a good place to raise a child?

Old 07-02-2008, 07:15 PM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
good question. but then again if you can't afford anywhere else, what options do you have? it is possible to grow up in the projects and succeed. it can be done.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-02-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
you put castle hill as safer? i disagree. and dyckman's in manhattan. never been to throggs neck (other than passing by on the highway) but its so far by public transportation that i cant imagine who would want to move there. imagine trying to get to manhattan from there. but "safe" developments in the bronx are slim pickings. the problem with the bronx is that most of the projects are surrounded by crappy areas to begin with. same problem exists in harlem and central/northern brooklyn. also, i dont think parkside houses and gun hill houses are that bad by bronx standards. i havent been by parkside but i've been by gun hill and since they kinda close to each other i figure its the same thing.

From what people have told me Castle Hill is dead. It used to be really bad but it has calmed down alot. Also when I was on that block, the sorrounding neighborhood was really quiet and I saw a few people here and there in the projects but it was relatively calm aswell.

Oh, I tought the poster wanted projects from NYC not just the Bronx.

I agree with your thought. About 95% of the projects are in bad neighborhoods. As a result they in turn are bad.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:25 AM

730 posts, read 2,053,856 times
Quote:
From what people have told me Castle Hill is dead. It used to be really bad but it has calmed down alot. Also when I was on that block, the sorrounding neighborhood was really quiet and I saw a few people here and there in the projects but it was relatively calm aswell.

Oh, I tought the poster wanted projects from NYC not just the Bronx.

I agree with your thought. About 95% of the projects are in bad neighborhoods. As a result they in turn are bad.
The only thing is that Castle Hill's elevators are mediocre. When it comes to transportation, I would prefer some projects in the Southwest Bronx (specifically Forest, McKinley, Adams, St. Mary's Park, Moore, and all of the projects in Mott Haven).

Old 07-03-2008, 09:22 AM

473 posts, read 1,670,522 times
Quote:
From what people have told me Castle Hill is dead. It used to be really bad but it has calmed down alot. Also when I was on that block, the sorrounding neighborhood was really quiet and I saw a few people here and there in the projects but it was relatively calm aswell......
You seem upset that crime has subsided in the CH PJs. Crime reduction is a good thing right?

Old 07-03-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bx718 View Post
You seem upset that crime has subsided in the CH PJs. Crime reduction is a good thing right?
No im not mad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery