Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2010, 03:18 PM

270 posts, read 749,465 times

Advertisements

i am so excited about my interview that i have everything AND THEN SOME ready for it, and i JUST realized i completely forgot to get a MONEY ORDER lol, going out NOW, to get one haha

Old 05-10-2010, 03:03 PM

we were disqualified , because apparently there were to many high deposits to our checking account, that reflect more than our actual income. WE actually went back to the office and spoke with the supervisor to try to explain. Its so unfair that they dont consider the fact that we are bunking with relatives and only pay $150 rent between us both. SO naturally we save our money at home , and deposit lump sums each month to pay our credit cards. What they THINK is that we are getting extra money elsewhere and not reporting it . SO they totalled our yearly income PLUS these monthly deposits made to bank as part of our income, and determined we made over the requirment. We are doing an appeal, and bring cancelled checks from my wife's job to show that she gathers all her weekly checks and tips and then deposits it.

we are so heartbroken right now, we definitely FIT all teh requirements, but they dont wanna even try to help, they only look for all teh possible NEGATIVES and then decline you

Old 05-10-2010, 05:00 PM

another thing they didnt even consider is that we have 2 kids and each year we get tax refunds with child credits, we deposit those refund checks then pay some credit cards and keep some of the money at home, i just feel we were unfairly treated. Does anyone know what else i can possibly do? or talk to someone? My feeling is, since its gotten to this point .. that we have to appeal, that basically that is no chance left for us at all.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:02 PM

9,253 posts, read 24,137,024 times
Unfortunately for you in this case, this is standard government agency procedure.It is the same thing the state and the federal government does with any other type of income audit.They simply add up all the deposits that go into any account that has your social security number attached to it and classify it all as income unless you prove that it came from something other than income.The burden of proof is on you.All cash deposits will likely stay as income because there is no way to prove otherwise unless someone signs a statement that they lent you or gave you (as a gift) the cash.And then they might ask to see the corresponding withdrawal of cash from that person's account to prove it.If you can prove that all the extra money is because of legit things other than income it could be fine.

The agencies all compare notes too so if they decide that you have more income than is reported on your tax returns they turn you in.

I went through a NY State tax audit once years ago and it was an eye opener.I realized that there is no way to get away with anything if they get on your trail and I vowed to report every nickel because it is too scary.It's not worth the aggravation. If they find one little thing wrong you're screwed and it can go on for months and months.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:21 PM

but what about the fact that we receive tax returns each year, my fiance claims one of our children and i claim the other. All this tax return money can accumulate over the years, hence having money at home saved. They wont consider that fact that these deposits can come from money saved from tax returns and ALSO money saved from our weekly income? i mean we have proof that we bunk with a relative and only pay $150 a month total! SO we are able to save more money from our reported income ..

Old 05-10-2010, 05:35 PM

I don't know.I had to document every single deposit and account for every single penny that was deposited and prove where it came from.
If you get tax return refund checks don't you put them into your account ? If that's the case you will be able to prove that the deposits are from tax refunds because they will get copies of all the checks that you deposited and see that they are from the US Treasury.They will then take the amount of those checks off of the income side of their sheet.
There are records and copies of every detail of every deposit you have ever made including the number and amounts of coins and bills and images of all deposited checks(both sides). If you have legit non income deposits they will be able to sort it out but you have to provide the proof.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:52 PM

"If you get tax return refund checks don't you put them into your account ?"

the thing is we did direct deposit returns, I dont think they were contesting the fact that we had deposits of the tax returns, they were contesting the other deposits made. But what im trying to say is, when these treasury deposits are made to our account , we withdraw the money and take it home. AFter that any other deposits of large amounts will sometimes come from the SAME EXACT money in the first place.
Im faxing a long letter of explanations with these kinds of details tomorrow, they also said that they will need us to bring 6 months worth of canceled checks from my fiance's employer. Because as i stated, what she does is gather all the weekly checks and then goes deposits them along with her TIPS into a lump sum deposit usually on a monthly basis, which she then in turn uses to pay off credit cards. Also what kills me is , they cant EVEN look at the fact that our rent is only $150 per month, yet we NET about $650 total per week! SO i mean COME ONE cant they put 2 and 2 together..and see we have lots of extra NET income to save?
this whole thing really brought my hopes down so much, I'll live, but wow, so close.. and the fact that our actual reported income fell directly into their MIN-MAX. so sad. I know everybody will always feel the same.. BUT darn we were so right for this apartment. We wouldve been the kind of tenants they want. ALWAYS PAY RENT ON TIME !

Old 05-10-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emulator View Post
"If you get tax return refund checks don't you put them into your account ?"

the thing is we did direct deposit returns, I dont think they were contesting the fact that we had deposits of the tax returns, they were contesting the other deposits made. But what im trying to say is, when these treasury deposits are made to our account , we withdraw the money and take it home. AFter that any other deposits of large amounts will sometimes come from the SAME EXACT money in the first place....
I would say you are going to have a difficult time proving that but good luck.They are not going to just accept what you tell them if the numbers don't add up equally on both sides.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:09 PM

i hear you on that, yes i know they dont just go by what we say, i can fully understand that..
but can u answer for me this last question since you seem very knowledgable in this mater, im quoting myself in my post above:

"Also what kills me is , they cant EVEN look at the fact that our rent is only $150 per month, yet we NET about $650 total per week! SO i mean COME ON cant they put 2 and 2 together..and see we have lots of extra NET income to save?"
So we take all this extra savings of NET income, deposit it into the checking, and pay bills

this has GOT TO be something we are able to make a valid argument on..dont u think?

Old 05-10-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emulator View Post
i hear you on that, yes i know they dont just go by what we say, i can fully understand that..
but can u answer for me this last question since you seem very knowledgable in this mater, im quoting myself in my post above:

"Also what kills me is , they cant EVEN look at the fact that our rent is only $150 per month, yet we NET about $650 total per week! SO i mean COME ONE cant they put 2 and 2 together..and see we have lots of extra NET income to save?"

this has GOT TO be something we are able to make a valid argument on..dont u think?
Ya but the income you are able to save shouldn't increase the deposits in your account.You get paid a certain amount.It goes into the bank as a deposit.Even if you have no expenses at all,the deposits should never be more than your income.
Are you going to argue that you deposit money,take it out and stuff it in a mattress for a while and then deposit the same money again and then take some out and stuff it in a mattress again before redepositing it again ?
It just doesn't sound logical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery