Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 05:46 PM

2 posts, read 8,736 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am moving from overseas to New York for 6 months, and am considering staying in an apartment on 110 street, Madison Avenue. I have been to New York before, but haven't travelled to this area. Would you consider a safe place for a 23 year-old girl to live?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 06:03 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,986 times
No, find a safer area. It maybe alright for a seasoned NYer but not for someone not used to a very urban environment.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:36 PM

684 posts, read 1,820,376 times
I definitely co-sign the response above.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:48 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Not recommended, I agree. It's a very complex neighborhood, with some blocks, okay, and others not so much. One needs to know the terrain before committing to live in the neighborhood, and I agree that since you're new to the city, it's not the best choice.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-12-2010, 11:36 AM

5 posts, read 30,848 times
I would recommend caution but wouldn't immediately suggest you look outside of that area ... that intersection is very close to the park and really isn't THAT far north. The police presence there is pretty high which seems to improve safety. The neighborhood gets absolutely dead (quiet as well) after about midnight during the week and 1-2 AM on Fri and Sat. There are a few medium sized projects in the area but a lot of the housing there has been renovated and converted to "luxury" rentals that are popular with young people, especially whites. Obviously you should be careful and should take a walk around the neighborhood during the day to see how you feel before you commit to anything though.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:14 PM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringger View Post
I would recommend caution but wouldn't immediately suggest you look outside of that area ... that intersection is very close to the park and really isn't THAT far north. The police presence there is pretty high which seems to improve safety. The neighborhood gets absolutely dead (quiet as well) after about midnight during the week and 1-2 AM on Fri and Sat. There are a few medium sized projects in the area but a lot of the housing there has been renovated and converted to "luxury" rentals that are popular with young people, especially whites. Obviously you should be careful and should take a walk around the neighborhood during the day to see how you feel before you commit to anything though.
Ha ha ha, are you the person that is trying to rent her the apt? What does not being THAT far north, have to do with anything concerning safety across the street from those projects, an area where there have been recent shoot outs. It is dead quiet at certains times because anyone that is on the right side of the law, and knows the area wouldn't come out after those times. She would have to visit on weekend evenings to see if she is comfortable, not the day time, when the decent people are out and about.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Ha ha ha, are you the person that is trying to rent her the apt? What does not being THAT far north, have to do with anything concerning safety across the street from those projects, an area where there have been recent shoot outs. It is dead quiet at certains times because anyone that is on the right side of the law, and knows the area wouldn't come out after those times. She would have to visit on weekend evenings to see if she is comfortable, not the day time, when the decent people are out and about.
I don't know of any shootouts in the area for at least the past two or three years. The most recent I recall occurred on fifth back in '07, not on madison.

By not being THAT far north I mean that since that area is still adjacent to central park there are a lot of stores and services that are available, unlike other parts of harlem where you have to walk 10-15+ blocks to find a grocery store.

It's dead quiet at night because it's entirely residential and most of the people are part of families that are interested in having a nice neighborhood, there is even a community garden on that block.

I realize there's a certain constituency that jumps to prejudge a block or intersection based purely on it's location or the ethnicity of the people living there but I think most reasonable people would agree that particular location is not scary in the least.

That doesn't mean I'd park an expensive car there, though.

edit: also I don't know exactly which projects you're talking about ... there's a senior center nearby though? maybe you're the type that's even fearful of 90 year old black women shouting at cars?

Old 06-13-2010, 01:14 PM
DAS

Quote:
I don't know of any shootouts in the area for at least the past two or three years. The most recent I recall occurred on fifth back in '07, not on madison.

By not being THAT far north I mean that since that area is still adjacent to central park there are a lot of stores and services that are available, unlike other parts of harlem where you have to walk 10-15+ blocks to find a grocery store.

It's dead quiet at night because it's entirely residential and most of the people are part of families that are interested in having a nice neighborhood, there is even a community garden on that block.

I realize there's a certain constituency that jumps to prejudge a block or intersection based purely on it's location or the ethnicity of the people living there but I think most reasonable people would agree that particular location is not scary in the least.

That doesn't mean I'd park an expensive car there, though.

edit: also I don't know exactly which projects you're talking about ... there's a senior center nearby though? maybe you're the type that's even fearful of 90 year old black women shouting at cars?
Those projects have been there almost forever, and they are right there on Madison, so just the fact that you can't see them tells me something, and since you can't see them, you obviously can't see anything else that goes on around there.

I still stand by my post, because I never post unless I'm certain of what I'm posting about.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Those projects have been there almost forever, and they are right there on Madison, so just the fact that you can't see them tells me something, and since you can't see them, you obviously can't see anything else that goes on around there.

I still stand by my post, because I never post unless I'm certain of what I'm posting about.
Would you mind posting a link to an article about recent shootouts near the intersection then? I'd be interested in checking out what actually goes on around there.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:26 PM

423 posts, read 1,281,032 times
Quote:
Would you mind posting a link to an article about recent shootouts near the intersection then? I'd be interested in checking out what actually goes on around there.
Just check the Gothamist newsmap and you'll see shootings in East Harlem fairly often. Not all are reported on the news.

Actually to prove my point there was a shooting today at 3:18 am on 108th and 3rd avenue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: