Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 08:20 AM

134 posts, read 286,865 times

Advertisements

So I am coming to NYC (Dec 9-12) for the first time! Any suggestions for things that we MUST do? Places to eat? I am traveling with a girlfriend and we are 28 and 30. We will be celerating our birthdays while we are there. Someone suggested we try Nobu for our bday dinner. Any other suggestions for fun things to do? We want to visit some of the 9-11 memorial, FAO Schwartz, maybe go to Central Park and check out a broadway show. Thats about it for now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 11:59 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,727,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiled1 View Post
So I am coming to NYC (Dec 9-12) for the first time! Any suggestions for things that we MUST do? Places to eat? I am traveling with a girlfriend and we are 28 and 30. We will be celerating our birthdays while we are there. Someone suggested we try Nobu for our bday dinner. Any other suggestions for fun things to do? We want to visit some of the 9-11 memorial, FAO Schwartz, maybe go to Central Park and check out a broadway show. Thats about it for now!
Nobu is overrated, over-hyped and furthermore I got food poisoning from the rather mediocre meal I had there. For a special occasions go to Sushi Yasuda instead if you're serious about some of the best Sushi to be found outside of Japan. If you're going to be in the East Village area for a sushi nosh by chance, I recommend Cotan (9th street, first ave) for authentic japanese sushi/sashimi. IF you want fusion-ish Americanized sushi rolls that actually taste good, The Loop on 3rd and 16th is excellent for that sort of thing.

If you want more specific recommendations, please let us know which neighborhoods you are interested in going to for dinner/lunch. There's no way we can recommend places otherwise because- there's just too many restaurants to list.

You may want to try 2nd Ave Deli or Katz and get pastrami on rye with a big-ass plate of pickles. Also if you're going to get bagels, go to Ess A Bagel and don't get it toasted, that's sacrilege.

Other restaurants I don't recommend (didn't like or thought were overrated): Anything by Bobby Flay or Michael Mina.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:01 PM

88,805 posts, read 85,207,717 times
Quote:
Leave enough time to just walk through the city streets and look at the buildings and the people. Visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Go inside St. Patrick's Cathedral--even if you aren't religious, it is breathtaking.

There are also these "hop-on hop-off" sightseeing buses, which is a good way to see a lot of the city and its architecture in a short amount of time.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
Nobu is overrated, over-hyped and furthermore I got food poisoning from the rather mediocre meal I had there. For a special occasions go to Sushi Yasuda instead if you're serious about some of the best Sushi to be found outside of Japan. If you're going to be in the East Village area for a sushi nosh by chance, I recommend Cotan (9th street, first ave) for authentic japanese sushi/sashimi. IF you want fusion-ish Americanized sushi rolls that actually taste good, The Loop on 3rd and 16th is excellent for that sort of thing.

If you want more specific recommendations, please let us know which neighborhoods you are interested in going to for dinner/lunch. There's no way we can recommend places otherwise because- there's just too many restaurants to list.

You may want to try 2nd Ave Deli or Katz and get pastrami on rye with a big-ass plate of pickles. Also if you're going to get bagels, go to Ess A Bagel and don't get it toasted, that's sacrilege.

Other restaurants didn't like or thought were overrated: Anything by Bobby Flay or Michael Mina
Dammit, why did you have to say that? Now I want a pastrami on rye with big-ass plate of pickles. And they moved us to Jersey City.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:10 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,727,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Dammit, why did you have to say that? Now I want a pastrami on rye with big-ass plate of pickles. And they moved us to Jersey City.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

That's not fair!!

OMG someome ship him a pastrami on rye- STAT!!! We're losing him!!!! (or her?- sorry I don't know your gender) And don't forget the matzoh ball soup IV!!!

Old 11-29-2011, 12:17 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,957,288 times
Quote:
Like others have said, you need to be specific on what you want to do/see/eat, because there are literally thousands of options. I agree that Nobu is a bit overrated.

Here are a few of my favorite spots, with a focus on West Village/Village:

La Lanterna (W 3rd and MacDougal) - Italian Cafe - Great Ambiance, be sure to sit out back. There is a Jazz spot next door too that is great.
Good (Greenwich Ave) - Great Breakfast Spot

I am on a plane now, so I will edit my response later.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

That's not fair!!

OMG someome ship him a pastrami on rye- STAT!!! We're losing him!!!! (or her?- sorry I don't know your gender) And don't forget the matzoh ball soup IV!!!
I'm a she (although a religious nut on another forum once insisted that God had told her I was a gay male and kept trying to get me to repent).

But thank you for your service to humanity!!!!! And thanks for throwing in the soup, too!

Old 11-29-2011, 05:39 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,782,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Leave enough time to just walk through the city streets and look at the buildings and the people. Visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Go inside St. Patrick's Cathedral--even if you aren't religious, it is breathtaking.

There are also these "hop-on hop-off" sightseeing buses, which is a good way to see a lot of the city and its architecture in a short amount of time.
Good recommendations -- and with Rockefeller Center and Radio City right there by St Pat's they can get a lot done in close proximity.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:26 PM

I want to visit the store fronts and definitely go to the Rock and the 911 memorial. Where does one find a good slice of pizza or a hotdog? The food carts or restaurants? Where are is the reasonably priced shopping?

Old 11-29-2011, 06:28 PM

Thanks for the Sushi suggestions!!!

Quote:

Other restaurants I don't recommend (didn't like or thought were overrated): Anything by Bobby Flay or Michael Mina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City