Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 02:05 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Botox wears off. It puffs up the tissues to make wrinkles disappear but has to be reapplied periodically. After many treatments the sessions are spaced further apart and you require them less and less.
I know this. And I think its very strange when old people have some wrinkley parts and not others. My mom never had Botox and she barely has wrinkles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 02:11 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,092,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredrew View Post
Can you really claim that your city is home to the most beautiful people when most of the beautiful people have come from elsewhere? Most of the people that are well dressed and look great in L.A. and NYC have gone there from elsewhere looking for modeling and acting work. I'd say the average New Yorker or Los Angelan is just that -average.

The fact is, compared to natives of cities like Rome and Milan, the average American; including those from L.A. and NYC, are overweight and poorly dressed.
thats laughable. Manhattan doesnt translate into transplant from north dakota there are many born and raised manhattanites.....in manhattan lol

Im more impressed by the genius of the poorer nabes in nyc anyway. Those that didnt need trustfund money and versace to create a style that would be followed WorldWide. And those are as native nyer as u can get

Old 06-29-2010, 02:20 PM

119 posts, read 354,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
thats laughable. Manhattan doesnt translate into transplant from north dakota
Huh? There is nowhere else in the country that people transplant to more (or wish to transplant to more) than Manhattan.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:26 PM

186 posts, read 219,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
there are tons of beautiful people in the city. just sit on a public bench in Chelsea or SoHo and look around.

one day, way back, i remember walking out of my apt and Milla Jovovich walked by in a see through wifebeater....i was like: "man, i love this city"
yeah you guys are sooo spoiled here. How come if I never see Brad Pitt?

Old 08-03-2010, 12:53 PM

97 posts, read 238,589 times
Beauty is everywhere yopu look, but a beautiful babe is only of a particular who has this beauty. Confused? You'll figure it out.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:22 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegant Dreamer View Post
I'm a transplant from Ohio and I was always drawn to NYC because it represented the ultimate urbane (not urban but that is obviously a reality that we have to acknowledge) and fashion capital of the USA. Well, a lot of the mystique is due in large to the wonderful advertising and marketing campaigns, outstanding film settings and glamorous iconic figures from history. Granted, I can find whatever I need to create an uber-sophisticated lifestyle and environment but there is a caveat. While one may live a fab life and personify that, one is ALWAYS having to deal with the harsh realities of urban living. There is very little middle ground. Sociological lines are clearly drawn and there is an ever-present antagonism. As I walk to my "coveted" job whereby the company is glamorous but the work isn't, dressed elegantly in designer clothing which generally includes an expensive handbag and shoes a la Sex and The City style, hair, nails and feet always done with impeccable makeup, I am met with odious glares. This wasn't what I expected. In Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, Vienna and Rome (and I have been to them all), beautiful women acknowledge each other approvingly and men look on favorably. It's a war zone in NYC. One might find shelter amid the jealous fueled storms with other similar acquaintances but when you step outside, it's not the glamorous enclave generally depicted. Whether it be the "pants to the ground" crew, tattoo crew, big hair holding on to the 80's crew, the Shenaenae and gold teeth crew, bohemian by default, etc, etc., there is something about "NY style" that infuriates them. I should have moved to Paris years ago. (BTW - I lived in LA for two years, but I really prefer NYC access to fashion and style.)

I feel the same way! I feel I get more dirty looks here in Manhattan than I do anywhere I else. I feel I get dirty looks from a lot of women. I don't particularly like the NYC "style", I prefer the more laid back west coast look. This place is too uptight and people think too much of themselves here.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:24 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susangggg View Post
yeah you guys are sooo spoiled here. How come if I never see Brad Pitt?
Most of the celebrities are smart and only come to NYC for business related things, and not to live. When it comes down to where they want to live, it's usually in beautiful California.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:04 PM

479 posts, read 1,442,943 times
There are a lot of beautiful people in NYC. There are tons of models, dancers, actors, students, many immigrants and tons of tourists to trow in the mix. There are many beautiful people around. Just sit on any bench somewhere in a busy street and count how many beautiful people pass by. You will count a lot in less than an hour I am sure.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:10 PM

151 posts, read 300,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Most of the celebrities are smart and only come to NYC for business related things, and not to live. When it comes down to where they want to live, it's usually in beautiful California.
Huh? You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

For celebrities, business is in Hollywood not NYC. Just like for models and designers, business is in NYC. "Celebrities" (i.e. actors) careers are based in Hollywood. Hollywood is where the agents are, Hollywood is where the studios are, etc.

Even with that, it seems a huge amount of Hollywood based celebrities live in NYC (Meryl, Madonna, Hugh Jackman, Keanu Reeves, Harrison Ford, Kate Winslet, Will Ferrel, Gwneth Paltrow, Scarlett Johansson, etc etc.) even though it is thousands of miles from business. Clearly a choice as living in NYC for them is not business efficient.

Last edited by Yankee.; 08-03-2010 at 03:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City