Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 02:52 PM

319 posts, read 1,250,752 times

Advertisements

well he's a real estate agent so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 09:21 PM

10 posts, read 88,498 times
I would say that Morgantown (L Morgan subway stop) has became hip within last 3 years. If you went there in 2002 or so, nothing but empty warehouses and hookers. Now, complete chance of scenery - buildings are converted into residential lofts (if you walk around the station, you will count at least 10 huge former warehouses where people live , and mostly hipsters, students, and japanese (?). I have seen the change sice I moved there in 2005, there is now a steady pedestrian traffic, and several cool places to hang out

The Brooklyn Paper: Bush-where?

Old 07-08-2007, 09:20 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,994,152 times
Hipsters?....Are you kidding me?.....I want a place my kids can grow up to be productive citizens!.....I stated in another thread how Bay Ridge or Bay Ruit as many are now calling it has going straight downhill!!!...Somebody responded...."there opening up a lot of coffee shops on fifth ave, attracting hipsters" as if I'm supposed to think it was a positive sign of things to come. On my most recent drive thru it look more like a third world country than anything hip.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:23 AM

201 posts, read 1,282,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneBKLYN View Post
I'm no 'crime worshipper'. I stand by the native, middle/working-class New Yorkers. The ones who are currently being pushed into places like North Carolina by the thousands.

Not Midwestern scum who invaded and shot up cost of living.
Man, aint that the truth... I live in NC, and at least half the ppl here are from NY, or NJ.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:06 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,370,322 times
Bay Ridge is definitely not a third world country, give me a break. The city has had a major influx or immigrants over the past 10-20 years. There's nothing that can be done about it. A lot of these immigrants move to white neighboods and as a result the original white people these start to leave for the suburbs and points South (Florida & North Carolina). If you want to live in a place that is entirely white you're probably going to have to move to Nassau, Westchester, or NJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
Hipsters?....Are you kidding me?.....I want a place my kids can grow up to be productive citizens!.....I stated in another thread how Bay Ridge or Bay Ruit as many are now calling it has going straight downhill!!!...Somebody responded...."there opening up a lot of coffee shops on fifth ave, attracting hipsters" as if I'm supposed to think it was a positive sign of things to come. On my most recent drive thru it look more like a third world country than anything hip.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:43 PM

10 posts, read 88,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
Well, I did not say that the area has becoming or became a place where you would raise children as in suburban environment. To be fair to the topic of this thread, area around Morgan L stop is by definition up and coming, and you it is remaking a previously no-man land into quite interesting neighborhood

Old 07-11-2007, 10:45 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,800,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Bay Ridge is definitely not a third world country, give me a break. The city has had a major influx or immigrants over the past 10-20 years. There's nothing that can be done about it. A lot of these immigrants move to white neighboods and as a result the original white people these start to leave for the suburbs and points South (Florida & North Carolina). If you want to live in a place that is entirely white you're probably going to have to move to Nassau, Westchester, or NJ.
Bay Ridge is okay. When he says "third world country" I think he means a lack of White faces compared to the past. Not everyone is into Diversity.

As for Bushwick, it's the hood.

Old 07-15-2007, 07:05 PM

259 posts, read 939,229 times
Quote:
Bay Ridge is definitely not a third world country, give me a break.
Well Bay Ridge as compared to the Bronx might not seem like a Third World country but compared to the old Bay Ridge from decades ago the New Bay Ridge is quite Third world! And Don't forget that third world countries do have their elites living in high rise apartamentos with Terraces and indoor plumbing? I'd suggest you Think about this one!

Last edited by Dee62; 07-15-2007 at 07:13 PM..

Old 07-16-2007, 12:37 PM

314 posts, read 492,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee62 View Post
Well Bay Ridge as compared to the Bronx might not seem like a Third World country but compared to the old Bay Ridge from decades ago the New Bay Ridge is quite Third world! And Don't forget that third world countries do have their elites living in high rise apartamentos with Terraces and indoor plumbing? I'd suggest you Think about this one!
i don't even know what you all are talking about when you compare bay ridge to a 3d-world country. i live in bay ridge. all up and down 3d ave, 4th ave, and 5th ave. are nice joints....restaurants, bars, shops, etc. some of it is becoming a little yuppified, but i definitely would not say that bay ridge has gone hipster. you want to see hipster, get off the L-train at bedford and take a stroll down N8 st. that's hipster. most of my neighbors are people like me who got pushed out of b-hurst when it started going way down, lots of italians and irish. there are some russians in bay ridge, but some of you all are trying to make it seem like sheepshead bay. that just isn't the case. yes, the occasional russian but they're not the standard.

before you throw around the term '3d world', i think you should define what it means to you. i think of boarded up buildings, power outages, sewer backups, rodent/bug infestation, no police presence, high poverty, high unemployment, gangs, and wretched public education just to name a few. none of these (with the sparse exception of rodent/bug problems...but, that's really more of a tenant than a neighborhood issue) apply to bay ridge. so, i guess i just don't understand what you are talking about here.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:16 PM

319 posts, read 494,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPete2Charlotte View Post
Man, aint that the truth... I live in NC, and at least half the ppl here are from NY, or NJ.
Godspeed, brother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: