Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 12:30 PM

59 posts, read 155,417 times

Advertisements

Taxpayers, including those of us who don't own cars, subsidize those tunnels, bridges and public roads those car owners travel through by general taxes. It goes both ways.

Car owners who merely travel through NYC benefit from the subway because it means that people in NYC don't have to own cars - fewer cars, less traffic, less delay, cheaper goods and services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 01:08 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,554,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
If there were no cars, the MTA would fold overnight. A huge portion of their operating income is from taxes and tolls for motorists in the entire state.
Very true. As a matter of fact, that's why the Triborough Bridge & Tunnel Authority was merged into the MTA. They are a huge source of income for the agency.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:13 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
The whole metrocard thing is the equivalent of one of the biggest scams ever perpetrated on NYC.

First, they convince people that carrying money is just too, too difficult, and the metrocard will help them. Next, they create a card encouraging people to buy in bulk, providing the MTA with a permanent interest-free loan. They provide a card which, unlike tokens, can be damaged and is easily lost since you can't hear it fall, losing the rider's money. The card doesn't show times, so that if you use it on a bus, you have no record of when the transfer will expire. Then they accustom riders to yet more electronic surveillance. Then they arrange it so that booths can't provide refunds, knowing that fewer people will go to the trouble to mail the MTA about problems. Then they gradually hike the price progressively until it's no longer any kind of bargain.

And so on.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:19 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
NJT has now sadly joined the MTA in wasteful spending , our New Transit chief gets paided 160k along with a few New Higher ups. It disgusts me that both agencies get away with it , while the Governors of both states it ignore it.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:55 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
NJT has now sadly joined the MTA in wasteful spending , our New Transit chief gets paided 160k along with a few New Higher ups. It disgusts me that both agencies get away with it , while the Governors of both states it ignore it.
I can't speak for Trenton, but I can assure you that the Governor of New York hasn't ignored the guaranteed package offered to Jay Walder. Quite the contrary, the state held it out as a carrot to lure him here. What the Governor Patterson is ignoring is the horrible mistake he made. (He won't acknowledge it as a mistake, however. Walder was brought here specifically to serve as an axe man.)

As to MTA crying...that's a regular feature of the yearly cycle. It's kind of like a rollercoaster. Or a tide sloshing back and forth, if you prefer that imagery.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:18 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,776 times
Between the MTA and NJTransit, I don't know who is worse. The unlimited card has saved me a lot of money--I make about 5-6 subway trips a day. If they got rid of it, geez...I won't even mention NJT as their fare hike hurts my wallet every time I want to go visit my family.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:08 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Since New York City is the unofficial Complaining Capital of the United States, it's not surprising that transit fares are up there on the list of things to moan and whine about it. But be honest: compare the cost of taking a subway or bus to a cab...or the expenses involved with owning a car and driving it in the city. And we have the only transit system in the world that operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Yeah, it's mismanaged. And wasteful to a degree that competes with the Federal government. But the city doesn't function without it. And on top of everything else, electric trains don't pollute.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:24 AM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
The whole metrocard thing is the equivalent of one of the biggest scams ever perpetrated on NYC.

First, they convince people that carrying money is just too, too difficult, and the metrocard will help them. Next, they create a card encouraging people to buy in bulk, providing the MTA with a permanent interest-free loan. They provide a card which, unlike tokens, can be damaged and is easily lost since you can't hear it fall, losing the rider's money. The card doesn't show times, so that if you use it on a bus, you have no record of when the transfer will expire. Then they accustom riders to yet more electronic surveillance. Then they arrange it so that booths can't provide refunds, knowing that fewer people will go to the trouble to mail the MTA about problems. Then they gradually hike the price progressively until it's no longer any kind of bargain.

And so on.
Great post, and just think if you have a full metro card with say 40 rides on it and lose it...........you are then f-k-e-d

at least with tokens, you bring what you need for the day. It wasn't hard for me to buy 80 tokens at a clip, and take 2 everyday.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:38 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Great post, and just think if you have a full metro card with say 40 rides on it and lose it...........you are then f-k-e-d

at least with tokens, you bring what you need for the day. It wasn't hard for me to buy 80 tokens at a clip, and take 2 everyday.
I once lost a monthly card that I had bought only the day before. Imagine how livid I was. That incident was my fault, but your post just reminded me of that...

Old 07-17-2010, 08:22 AM

581 posts, read 1,244,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEPNYC View Post
Multiple people are using the same card. Husband works nights, wife works days, both use the same metrocard. Maybe the kids and relatives use it also.

Card was designed to give one person unlimited rides, not the whole family.
also..how about people that come on the bus. their friend dip the unlimited metro card then take it back.....

or people dipping their unlimited metro car, then says they will dip it again in a few minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City