Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 11:24 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherpenny View Post
Hi guys -- mind if I hijack this thread briefly?

I'm planning to move to Crown Heights in a week or so (Pacific St. between Nostrand and Bedford). The boyfriend and I are both Asian, and we felt pretty comfortable in the neighborhood. CH just seemed like a "mind your own business" kind of neighborhood. I lived in Baltimore for 4 years and learned to just figure out which streets not to go on and then everything would be (mostly) okay.

Is there anything we should know re: the safety, what streets/areas we should avoid? Franklin Ave. seems to be something to watch out for.

Any other info would be great. Thanks in advance.
It's the hood, but if you lived in Baltimore then you should have no problems.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 07:31 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,283,547 times
Like you've said, it has to do with knowing what paths and streets are safe at different hours. I think during the day and on the weekends, it should be ok, but at night is a different story.

Also, that specific area can be sketchy - it is close to a homeless shelter, methadone clinic, and Atlantic Avenue is desolate.

I'm not sure about Franklin Avenue, when I drove down it a week ago, it seemed fine. I would just watch out for the desolate streets around Atlantic Avenue, because there are a lot of auto-repair shops, empty lots and neglected bldgs.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:32 PM

8 posts, read 28,003 times
Thanks for the info. We're not too worried about the area during the day; it would just be nice to know which streets/areas to stay off of during the night.

Thanks again

Old 04-08-2011, 07:07 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,810,953 times
I found Crown Heights to be a little dumpy but I still felt safe.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:41 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,814,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoMTLtoNYC View Post
My husband and I are moving to Brooklyn for a job in Dyker Heights. We lived in Maplewood NJ for 11 years so we are familiar with the area generally, but not Brooklyn specifically. We are middle-aged and white. I am researching apartments by internet to prepare for a house-hunting trip. I see ads for nice-looking apartments at 522 Lefferts, which is a block below Empire Blvd, between Brooklyn and Kingston. It looks like a very Jewish area from the landmarks on the map, so I would think it would be safe. Any help on this, please?
That last line is as stereotypical as it gets! Just goes to show how wrong it is.

Why not live in Dyker Heights? Affordable and safe for whites.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
I have been to crown heights many times and would never live there. It isnt all black. I see white people there and the koreans who own the fruit stores but 80 percent of crown heights is black.
Having *been* there gives YOU zero insight as to what it is like to actually live there. You also have no insight as to what it takes to live varying lifestyles.

For instance, in Crown Heights, not incliding Transplants, there is a spectrum of incomes, from welfare to upper middle class (people who could choose to live elsewhere). You'll also find the same spectrum of Hasidic Jews.

So, how do these people live their lives, survive, thrive, within the context of the neoghborhood.

YOU HAVE NO IDEA!

Having *been* there gives you no insight, except for the superficial. Unfortunately, in this forum, that's all that is neecessary to form opinions and to espouse them.

To the Op, is it safe within the average context of a single white female Transplant new to NYC? No, it is not the first place you should land. Are there others like yourself about? Yes. Though, not a great percentage, yet. Is the area gentrifying? IMO and experience no. There are several areas said to be gentrifying, but realistically are not.

Simply because a neighborhood attracts a goodly number of single white VERY youg transplants chasing LOW rents; low rents which still require most to have roommates to afford, is not the makings of gentrification. Gentrification requires more stable individuals and families. With few exceptions such is not the case.

@ drman

Skin color is a factor for a predator. For example, a young black male is more likely to resist; more likely to be carrying objects, other than cash, which are valued by a predator, such as jewlery, sneakers, etc.

The average young white male Transplant is less likely to resist, and more pointedly, perceived to be less physically and mentally capable of defending himself. This is so as most have not had the experience of defending against individual(s) intent upon doing GREAT harm. They also have zero 'spidey sense'!

Addittionally and significantly, Transplants of any type are almost literally unlikely to have a gun or other weapon of significance.

That said, the one thing in a Transplants favor, is the very HIGH likelihood that they will involve the police. This can cause a true predator to hesitate or seek out other prey.

Most young blacks will not call the police, a high percentage of middle aged black males also will not. Older black males and females are most likely to involve police.
The exception is when a victim has experienced serious physical harm.

Plus, some blacks, just as some whites, will F with a person of the opposite race just for the fun of it. Its not just blacks who must fear bat wielding crowds.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
That area is fine. It is a jewish area and if you dont mind seeing jews wearing long black suits in the summer time go ahead and move. But if you go in the wrong direction you will hit some bad parts. That is very close to bedstud and brownsville. The good thing about jews is that they keep having kids so the area which they live keeps expanding.
OMG!!!!!!

Another, I don't know what I'm talking about cause I don't live there post.

Unreal.

522 Lefforts happens to be right on the border of 4 neighborhoods. It is NOT close to Bedstuy nor Brownsville.

Primarily it sits between Crown Heights and Wingate and Prospect Lefferts Garden. All three meet generally at that point. Just a couple blocks further is Utica Ave, once across some might call it East New York, but actually its Lincoln Terrace.

It is a pure border area. The character of the area is dominated by the best part of Crown Heights (many large and wonderful homes) and Wingate, which comparately is rather low density. The general area has comparately low foot traffic, surprisingly give a number of large pre-war buildings, as well as some newly buit.

Utica Ave is the main shopping district with many shops catering mostly to a black West Indian clientle. Most of the upscale residents do not frequent the strip.

Subway transportation is poor. There is the IRT Utica/New Lots line at Utica and Eastern Parkway. The IRT Flatbush line at Sterling Street and Nostrand Ave, and the BMT Brighton/Coney Island line at Flatbush and Empire Blvd. ALL several long blocks away. You'd have to give yourself time for the walk or take the bus to the train. I wouldn't reccommend the walk late nights, nor the bus during rush, as it will be filled with crazy kids.

If you'll be traveling mostly by car and the building has parking, then thr transportation issue is greatly improved. I might live there, but not w/o a car.

BTW, Bedsty begins arguably at Atlantic Ave or Fulton Street both of which are at the far opposite border of Crown Heights. Bedsty has zero effect on the location.

Brownsville has even less than zero effect, being quite distant.

East NY/Lincoln Terrace, more troubled than the other border neighborhoods has small effect. Most of what goes on there stays on that side of Utica Ave and Utica Ave itself. So avoid crossing Utica and Utica Ave and you reduce your risk greatly! Such is the way of survival in the hood.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:01 PM

5 posts, read 14,236 times
Default Winthrop at Rogers Ave? Safe?

Bumping...

It sounds like the area is block by block. Is Winthrop at Rogers Avenue a safe area for a solo female?

Old 01-17-2012, 04:06 PM

5 posts, read 14,236 times
Why? Random muggings or just a lot of riff raff on the streets? If it means anything, I'm black and can handle loitering. I'm more concerned about robberies and muggings.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:15 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Thats near Kings County Hospital. Its ok. Not the best but not the worst.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City