Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2012, 06:52 PM

3 posts, read 4,643 times

Advertisements

I'm a recent transplant to the city from Chicago. I can see where the OP is coming from. It's weird that so many people would prefer this type of living to something else. I can myself the same questions about the city. In the end, I think people just want to stay..plain and simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 07:12 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDweller View Post
I'm a recent transplant to the city from Chicago. I can see where the OP is coming from. It's weird that so many people would prefer this type of living to something else. I can myself the same questions about the city. In the end, I think people just want to stay..plain and simple.
There are a lot of people that would rather live in very urban areas as a result of the Amenities. That's perfectly understandable.

Whether one wants to live in a large,mid-sized or small city is personal preference.

Have fun in Chicago.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:01 PM

25 posts, read 36,148 times
Smile moving to nyc

i live in a town the opposite of nyc. Palm Coast fl. Extremely quiet, cheap rents of overbuilt foreclosures. Though i love the quiet, i am bored. i have a cousin in East Flatbush who says i can stay with her for cheap. i have a degree in IT, BUT only a couple years experience. Still i hope to find work in nyc while enjoying some of the amenities. I plan to explore all the tourist favorites and eateries until I find a good agency for contract jobs, and go on to make great $$$ (hopefully).
with this money i hope to buy a home in a quiet suburb, and enjoy the city occasionally. Any suggestions on the best way to find such jobs? I would prefer temp high-paying jobs as i want to take time off to explore creative outlets, like writing or documentary filmmaking. This may be a big dream, and I may end up clinging to the first good job i get, too afraid to leave and get a freelance career like mdude in this thread. But that still would be less boring than this extremely quiet town i now live in!

Old 02-25-2012, 12:32 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,242,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDweller View Post
I'm a recent transplant to the city from Chicago. ... It's weird that so many people would prefer this type of living to something else.
Why did you come to NYC? Had you been here, prior to moving? Did you have a plan? A job waiting?
Quote:
Originally Posted by parsharon View Post
Palm Coast, FL. ... Though i love the quiet, i am bored. i have a cousin in East Flatbush who says i can stay with her for cheap. i have a degree in IT, BUT only a couple years experience. Still i hope to find work ... and go on to make great $$$ (hopefully). with this money i hope to buy a home in a quiet suburb, and enjoy the city occasionally. ... This may be a big dream
How familiar are you with NYC? Might be better to vacation here first & search for a job, before making the move & clogging up your cousin's apt. Perhaps, you should line up interviews before coming.

Last edited by bigjake54; 02-25-2012 at 12:45 AM..

Old 02-25-2012, 12:34 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
pretty much the story on the coast too. my friend gloria used to say, huck when u got money every place is mardi gras.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:48 AM

59 posts, read 182,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemNewbie View Post
I came here a few months back from the Midwest. I think a lot of you may know my story. 29, single, female, and living up in West Harlem. I really am finding myself disappointed by this place, and don't understand the allure of it anymore. It's the absolute filthiest place I have ever been. I have smelled things here so God-awful I cannot even believe it. The people are rude, that goes without saying. But so remarkably so it is beyond my comprehension. Back home, a person would get the **** kicked out of the in a back alleyway for talking and acting the way a lot of people here do.

I thought there would be better job opportunities here. But from what I have experienced, it is just the same **** as back home. Employers trying to get you to work for slave wages, undercutting everyone to the bone. That may have almost worked in Michigan, much less expensive. It sure as hell doesn't work here. I have to wait tables to survive, and have never taken such verbal abuse in all of my fourteen years that I have been doing that as I have here. People ought to be ashamed of themselves.

And I just want to punch the lights out of most of the snobby youth I see in Manhattan. So out of touch, it is unbelievable. I can understand why people want to execute those on Wall Street now. I will be the first in line with them if there is to ever be a Revolution in this country. The discrepancy between haves and have-nots here is repulsive. Average banker making $350K, average everyone-else maybe 40K if lucky. When the rent is astronomical, and taxes are astronomical. Doesn't really lure any right-minded middle class person, now does it? Especially when you are going to be taxed to death just to pay all of those lovely 3rd grade educated babymamas. While the rich get off cheap and you live to serve them.
Think NYC is bad... try living in the cesspool that is Miami...,

Last edited by benrosa1990; 02-26-2012 at 01:49 AM.. Reason: added items

Old 02-28-2012, 09:45 AM
qwy

296 posts, read 520,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parsharon View Post
i live in a town the opposite of nyc. Palm Coast fl. Extremely quiet, cheap rents of overbuilt foreclosures. Though i love the quiet, i am bored. i have a cousin in East Flatbush who says i can stay with her for cheap. i have a degree in IT, BUT only a couple years experience. Still i hope to find work in nyc while enjoying some of the amenities. I plan to explore all the tourist favorites and eateries until I find a good agency for contract jobs, and go on to make great $$$ (hopefully).
with this money i hope to buy a home in a quiet suburb, and enjoy the city occasionally. Any suggestions on the best way to find such jobs? I would prefer temp high-paying jobs as i want to take time off to explore creative outlets, like writing or documentary filmmaking. This may be a big dream, and I may end up clinging to the first good job i get, too afraid to leave and get a freelance career like mdude in this thread. But that still would be less boring than this extremely quiet town i now live in!
Wow! Serious? Did you even read this thread. Moving to Nyc without a job, just because you are bored and your goal is to find a job (with this economy) once you're here that lets you take a lot of time off

Old 02-28-2012, 09:52 AM

65 posts, read 81,554 times
I think it is even funnier that this person finds palm coast to be too boring, so prefer to move to NYC so that they can move to a quiet suburb!!!! WTF! Another lost cause.

To be fair, Palm Coast is not a place to be, especially now. My parents looked at a home there but ultimately did not buy (this was in the early 90s, way before the jacked up prices of 2000s). As for the OP, I can say that NYC (outside of the main tourist districts and elite areas) is oftentimes in a time warp, suffering many of the same poor quality of life issues/cleanliness that should have been addressed and corrected decades ago. The city is "tops" in the world, but only if you count just the 7 or so main neighborhoods...with many other places easily subpar and many simply embarassing.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:54 AM

4 posts, read 8,898 times
Your post is very telling about your attitude toward people who do not look like you. Calling city workers babymamas with third grade education may be part of the reason you are having a hard time. No...New York City is not for everyone...but, for someone with latent biases, it will definitely be difficult.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:57 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
There are a lot of people that would rather live in very urban areas as a result of the Amenities. That's perfectly understandable.

Whether one wants to live in a large,mid-sized or small city is personal preference.

Have fun in Chicago.
You can pretty much get 99% of most amenities in several large cities these days.
Without having to put up with nearly as much crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City