Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 11:56 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigslist.1 View Post
There's just nothing much that goes on there... I have friends that live in Astoria and it always just seems super-boring to me.

Even they would rather come to Manhattan..
In that case, Manhattan is played out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 12:17 PM

72 posts, read 107,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
In that case, Manhattan is played out.
That can probably be said for all of NYC..

Old 07-12-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
That can probably be said for all of NYC..
and the rest of the World

Old 07-12-2013, 12:59 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
This is right about when he'll start posting about a Bohemian Lifestyle

Old 07-12-2013, 01:17 PM

72 posts, read 107,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
This is right about when he'll start posting about a Bohemian Lifestyle

Is it realistic for a gainfully employed, long-time but very discrete and responsible opiate user, to live well in NYC in 2013? Are opiates still plentiful? I am thinking specifically of the Bushwick/Ridgewood areas but NYC in general.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Is it realistic for a gainfully employed, long-time but very discrete and responsible opiate user, to live well in NYC in 2013? Are opiates still plentiful? I am thinking specifically of the Bushwick/Ridgewood areas but NYC in general.
Why Ridgewood? I thought you avoid Queens because it is too boring for you?

Old 07-12-2013, 02:40 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Why Ridgewood? I thought you avoid Queens because it is too boring for you?
That was an inside joke lol

Old 07-13-2013, 08:45 PM

273 posts, read 672,517 times
I had written about 6 paragraphs about what one can do and decided to drop it. Look, for eating out, art, film, and outdoor urban activities, gyms, cocktails and drinking good to excellent.

As for clubs to dance and hook up and shopping for high end merchandise or a wide variety, just OK or non-existent. The only area I could see having a few fantastic large clubs are the edges of LIC heading towards Sunnyside where it is still industrial (33rd Street stop on the 7) or the northern end of Jackson Ave. The shopping for clothes, housewares and furnishing is either middle of the road or utilitarian. Steinway Street used to be very high end but as more and more people moved to the suburbs or went to malls, Steinway became less "exclusive and expensive" thank god!
I dislike Madison Ave because though nice to look at I cannot buy much so why bother. Steinway offers some stores that give decent to good quality merchandise and a fair price. If you want to get a glimpse of how the old Steinway stores where go to Fantasy housewares and linens between 31st and 30th Ave. Wonderful place and actually reasonable. For housewares and cool quirky gifts, Site is excellent. For something more along the urban skateboarder style check out Belief in Ditmars or a skateshop and clothing store on Broadway just down from the 48th Street shop. Strangely, we have both a Salvation Army and Goodwill as well as a good Army Navy store if you are on a budget. The Army Navy store is the best one but hey I know people who have found some good stuff at Goodwill and Salvation Army.

Astoria also has a huge amount of gyms for its size. Just within 6 blocks where I live I know of 3 gyms.

If there is anything that could benefit Queens is a good dance club (non-Latin, there are a few good Latin ones in Queens). A local place Bungalow is offering salsa lessons and salsa dancing all night on Wednesdays which I enjoyed very much. Finally, we are getting an independent bookstore that looks like it will work out well!

Old 07-14-2013, 09:13 PM

436 posts, read 564,791 times
craiglist.1 must be a joke account.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,707 times
Do you know if the Shore Towers area is safe? To walk around at night?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City