Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2010, 05:49 PM

174 posts, read 415,200 times

Advertisements

Hi There,

Just a quick question. I am trying to work out how long it would take to commute daily from UWS ( lets say around Lincoln) to Jersey City. I am trying to work out your subway system but its a bit tricky when I am still in Australia LOL. Its just we are looking a job offer and if the commute is a hassle we will look at another offer.
We dont have an apartment yet but we are going to be looking around that area when we get there next month
We are not prepared to live in Jersey so that is not an option.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 05:59 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutais View Post
Hi There,

Just a quick question. I am trying to work out how long it would take to commute daily from UWS ( lets say around Lincoln) to Jersey City. I am trying to work out your subway system but its a bit tricky when I am still in Australia LOL. Its just we are looking a job offer and if the commute is a hassle we will look at another offer.
We dont have an apartment yet but we are going to be looking around that area when we get there next month
We are not prepared to live in Jersey so that is not an option.

Thanks in advance
Then I would look further downtown near a PATH station rather than around Lincoln Center.It will cut your commute time and expense in half if you don't have to take a subway to the PATH train.The trains to Jersey( PATH) are not a part of the NYC system and have their own fares.No free transfer.
If you do have to take a subway from Lincoln Center and change to a PATH train the total commute will probably be 45 mins or so each way provided there are no delays/problems.
A 40 trip(1 month) pass on the PATH is 50 or 60 dollars.A monthly metro card for the subway is $89.00
http://www.panynj.gov/path/img/PATH_system_map.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by bluedog2; 08-30-2010 at 06:15 PM..

Old 08-30-2010, 06:47 PM

174 posts, read 415,200 times
Thanks so much bluedog2 Apparently its quicker if you drive but we want to avoid buying a car! The whole reason for living in manhattan is not to have to drive That is a lovely thing for us as we have to drive everywhere here

Old 08-31-2010, 08:30 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,273,135 times
Just a thought with regards to you "not being prepared to live in Jersey", but Jersey City and also neighboring Hoboken are by no stretch of the imagination suburban, and in fact are very urban and very dense, with very good connection to Manhattan. A car is by no means a necessity.

And by the way, driving from Manhattan to Jersey City would not be a regular commuting option for you.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:30 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
You might want to just move to Jersey City or anywhere in the NJ Gold Coast. It will be easier and cheaper on your commute and it costs less over on this side of the Hudson. Cost of living is cheaper , but you still get a 24/7 link to Manhattan.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:21 AM

31 posts, read 82,611 times
I live on the upper upper upper west side (Hudson Heights) and work in Jersey City (Exchange Place). It takes me 1.25 hrs during the weekday rush hour. Sometimes 1.5 hrs. That is door to door, with both home and work about 5 minutes walk away from subway and PATH, respectively. It takes almost 30 minutes from where I am to get to 59th street Columbus Circle so if you actually live around there, figure on 45 min to 1 hr to the first stop in Jersey City.

Better if you can live in mid-town or downtown and can skip the subway altogether. PATH stations are on 33rd, 23rd, 9th, Christopher, World Trade. Or walk to/from the PATH for exercise. It takes about 1 minute to walk each N/S block.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:59 AM

2 posts, read 5,436 times
I live in the Upper East Side and commute to Journal Square. It take me about 45 to 50 minutes. That's door-to-door. I live on top of the subway stop (103rd/Lex) and have a 10 min walk once I leave the PATH at Journal. I take the PATH from World Trade Center in the morning and any PATH on the way home. It's doable from Lincoln Center in 40 mins (in my opinion). My boyfriend and I lived in Jersey City and he commuted to Columbia on (116 and Broadway). He got there in 50-55 mins so I would Image a 40-50 Streets south would save 15 mins.

I do however suggest you consider living in Hoboken or Jersey City. You'll see when you get there. It's got many Manhattan amenities for half the Manhattan prices without a diminishing quality of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City