Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 11:58 AM

9 posts, read 31,972 times

Advertisements

LaGuardia is HORRIBLE. I went for one semester, and felt like I wasn't getting what I was paying for. We all have many reasons why we are going to a 2 year. It isn't the worst thing in this world. I had a baby in highschool, and thought it was best to go to a two year, and raise my GPA. WHICH IS WHAT I DID! I went on and got accepted to Fordham and Pace. I decided on Hunter for its amazing Science program (pre-med student). I asked my professor from BMCC, who may I add was an NYU MED SCHOOL PROFESSOR, if paying the money for pace and fordham was worth it....she said, its like buying an eduacation with a brand name on it. When choosing students for med-school in the end its all numbers, not which school did she go to.

All I am saying is go to bmcc, but make sure you follow Baruch's Business program. Their Business program is highly competative, and it is extremely difficult to get into. So do your research, and make sure you keep your GPA at 3.8 and above. Also, you need a minimum of 30 credits to qualify as a tranfer student. This means that your High School transcript will not be sent to the 4 Year college. However, if you decide to go to Baruch before that, then you will need to submit your High School grades. soooo I recommend go seeing an advisor from BARUCH or whatever school you choose. And let them know whats going on and what you schould do. They will advice you on the steps to take to get into their schools programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 12:23 PM

412 posts, read 1,327,050 times
I'm an alum, think that's how it's spelled, of BMCC and back then it was known as a party school but it's up to the individual to do what they need to do to succeed and that goes for any college/university a person attends.

For more information on the school the website is www.bmcc.cuny.edu

Go there and research it for yourself.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:25 PM

520 posts, read 844,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neni1026 View Post
LaGuardia is HORRIBLE. I went for one semester, and felt like I wasn't getting what I was paying for. We all have many reasons why we are going to a 2 year. It isn't the worst thing in this world. I had a baby in highschool, and thought it was best to go to a two year, and raise my GPA. WHICH IS WHAT I DID! I went on and got accepted to Fordham and Pace. I decided on Hunter for its amazing Science program (pre-med student). I asked my professor from BMCC, who may I add was an NYU MED SCHOOL PROFESSOR, if paying the money for pace and fordham was worth it....she said, its like buying an eduacation with a brand name on it. When choosing students for med-school in the end its all numbers, not which school did she go to.

All I am saying is go to bmcc, but make sure you follow Baruch's Business program. Their Business program is highly competative, and it is extremely difficult to get into. So do your research, and make sure you keep your GPA at 3.8 and above. Also, you need a minimum of 30 credits to qualify as a tranfer student. This means that your High School transcript will not be sent to the 4 Year college. However, if you decide to go to Baruch before that, then you will need to submit your High School grades. soooo I recommend go seeing an advisor from BARUCH or whatever school you choose. And let them know whats going on and what you schould do. They will advice you on the steps to take to get into their schools programs.
Perhaps you're right, LAGCC isn't the ideal school. BMCC certainly has an advantage of a better location.

As far as the "brand name" rhetoric... I've heard this from many individuals, many of them work for CUNY. I believed it strongly until I starting moving up in my career.

In the business, corporate and academic world that "BRAND" is extremely valuable. Many companies would rather pick someone from a highly regarded, private institution or better yet an Ivy League school than from a city college. I've heard way too many stories of how people from those institutions were selected over CUNY graduates. Their salaries and positions tend to be higher as well. So technically you are buying the brand, but you are buying reputation and a very strong social network. Don't underestimate the power of the academic brand. I work in academia and my husband worked in the private sector, both worlds take that very seriously. The alumnus network is also very strong, many ivy league/private college graduates who work higher up will often higher a fellow alumni.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:57 PM

213 posts, read 508,665 times
I'm a recent BMCC alum, graduated this past Spring. I'm now over at Hunter. I mostly went there to get my GPA up and transfer to a senior college later on, but in retrospect, I wish that I had started off at a senior college. It's tough being a transfer student, be it at CUNY or any university, as you're coming into the middle or end of a graduating class, in which everyone has met already. In my experience, there isn't much of a student life at CUNY schools to begin with, due to the mostly commuter-based student body. This makes it hard to meet people, much more if you're not outgoing. The transfer process also isn't as smooth as one may think, especially if you haven't planned out your academic goals early on.

As for BMCC, it's a community college, 'nuff said. You get what you pay for, but it's a great jump-off point if you barely scraped by in HS or have a GED (like I did). The situation with remediation is dire to say the least, ESPECIALLY Math remedial courses. If you have to take them, get them out of the way ASAP. Being stuck in remediation has claimed many victims, who've just thrown their arms up and given up on college. If you're looking to reach the minimum requirements to transfer somewhere else, do so and the hell out of dodge.

Yeah, even as a BMCC alum who graduated on the Dean's List AND with Honors, I have mixed feelings of my time there.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:58 PM

769 posts, read 2,050,842 times
We are moving to NYC and are considering having my husband go back to school instead of work, since we can afford to live on my salary alone. Since we are from out of state, he will pay out of state tuition and BMCC is one of the most affordable schools in the area for out-of-state rates. He would be doing the AA in Criminal Justice and then transferring to John Jay College. He also has some credits he can transfer into BMCC. Although he's not exactly sure what we would do after school, he would consider working for the NYPD. Anyone have advice/tips on the school or the program?

Old 10-15-2010, 05:27 PM

9 posts, read 50,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenom01 View Post
For business go to Baruch.
Isnt Baruch a 4 year school? I actually wanted to transfer there

Old 10-15-2010, 05:30 PM

9 posts, read 50,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neni1026 View Post
Hi, I graduated from BMCC 2008... The school itself is good. I loved it. However, in my last year I noticed it became a bit more populated.

I went on to to a 4 year college (Hunter College) without any issue. My only recommendation is to decide your major early, and make sure you follow the 4 year college curriculum. I didn't do that and ended up taking courses I didn't need.

BMCC is in tribeca. You can easily go to wall street. Look at the small Art Galleries. They have century 21, a great bargain store, and the west side highway/battery park to run in the morning.My son went to BMCC daycare, which was absolutely ammmaaaazing. They truly go out of their way for moms to study. I graduated with a high GPA and on the Deans list, and I wouldn't be able to make it without them.

All schools have their ups and downs. This school has an amazing arts and science department. I lovvvveeeed it. So go check it out. Again, the only thing I didn't like was how it was becoming overcrowded, and the lack of advice for students who want to go into a four year.

Good luck!
Thanks so much! I am hoping to go to Baruch after BMCC

Old 10-15-2010, 07:51 PM

93 posts, read 246,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
We are moving to NYC and are considering having my husband go back to school instead of work, since we can afford to live on my salary alone. Since we are from out of state, he will pay out of state tuition and BMCC is one of the most affordable schools in the area for out-of-state rates. He would be doing the AA in Criminal Justice and then transferring to John Jay College. He also has some credits he can transfer into BMCC. Although he's not exactly sure what we would do after school, he would consider working for the NYPD. Anyone have advice/tips on the school or the program?
The best way somebody were to join the NYPD would have been to start as an Explorer in HS. Additionally, you should try getting an internship, try some odd jobs involving NYPD and make connections with cops. And also stay fit hitting the gym. Also firearms practice is a great addition.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 4,392 times
Hey ,
I really need to know if it is possible to study at BMCC and be accepted in a medical school . I also want to know what
program should I have for that . I really need to know about that because i really want to study medicine and i want to have a clear idea before applying to BMCC
Thanks

Old 10-02-2014, 09:07 AM

79 posts, read 434,961 times
All Community Colleges are what you make of it. I have a friend who worked in retail for a couple years after graduating high school. Then he went to BMCC and after that to CCNY. He had a plan to go to law school and now he's at NYU law. Just make sure you have a plan for what you want to do and your credits will transfer over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City