Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2010, 05:48 PM

3 posts, read 18,744 times

Advertisements

I'd like to move to an apartment in Manhattan but, like so many other people, I'm concerned about safety and affordability. I'm a very tiny 24 y/o girl and I'd like to live by myself, so a safe neighborhood is a must.

The other obstacle is my income (I'm a freelancer making $30,000 a year). With landlords typically renting apartments to tenants earning an annual income of at least 40x the monthly rent, it looks like I'll need a job that bumps my income up to $50,000/yr before I'm eligible for even the cheapest apartments in the safe parts of Manhattan.

Unfortunately, I earn too much to qualify for the 80/20 program, which seems like it would have been ideal for safety and affordability (I hate to judge, but I'd feel safer if 80% of tenants in my building had average or above average earnings!). I may qualify for LAMP housing (lottery for reduced rates), but I'm not sure how safe those apartments are. Does anyone know how the program works? Are all rentals in a complex reserved for low-income individuals, or are some rented out at regular rates and a portion rented at a discount (like 80/20)? Are these complexes usually in the bad parts of Manhattan?

I'm also open to other tips for safe, affordable housing in Manhattan (Except living with a roommate! I prefer to live alone and also have a really loud pet bird.)

Thanks!

Last edited by sweetcataxtrophe; 09-22-2010 at 06:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 06:25 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
The L in LAMP stands for low income.LAMP is not mixed income,it's low income.

You can go to the HPD website and enter your income,size of apartment you want,etc and see what( if any) developments you may qualify for.
Housing Wizard - NYC Affordable Housing Resource Center

Generally,they are not in the areas you sound like you want to be in.Mostly they are in Brooklyn and The Bronx.

Why, with such an income,are you open to only "safe ,affordable housing in Manhattan "?And sort of insisting on having your own apartment? And wanting everyone else in the building to be middle income when you are low income? LOL It all sounds a little nervy.
There is plenty of "safe,affordable housing" in the other boroughs. Or you could get a roommate.

Last edited by bluedog2; 09-22-2010 at 06:35 PM..

Old 09-22-2010, 06:35 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Your ability to live in a safe part of Manhattan hinges on several things:

1. Living alone, need to double your income to $60k. A $1500 studio is "entry" level to move into Upper East Side, Upper West Side, or Murray Hill/Midtown East.

2. Suck it up and get a roomate or 2. Split a small 1br with someone, you can probably get your rent down to $875-950....although I'm not sure you could fiscally manage that on less than $2k take home pay. Chuck the bird. If Manhattan is your dream, you'll live in cramped quarters and make sacrifices.

3. Find a sugar daddy boyfriend arrangement. Or have mommy & daddy chip in. That's what the majority of those pr/advertising/ journalism/fashion kids do.

No, the LAMP housing is not in good neighborhoods.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Why, with such an income,are you open to only "safe ,affordable housing in Manhattan "?
Safety is a must. I'm about 5' and weigh less than 100 lbs. As far as affordability, I'm under the impression that income requirements for Manhattan apartments are pretty intense. So as long as I'm earning $30,000/yr, I'm pretty limited in terms of rent.

Quote:
And sort of insisting on having your own apartment? And wanting everyone else in the building to be middle income when you are low income? LOL It all sounds a little nervy.
I have high standards. I'm independent. I have loud pets that I'd rather live with than a total stranger. I'm not saying it's possible to meet these requirements within my means, but I'd like to weigh my options.

I'm not completely opposed to living in a building with other low-income tenants--especially considering many people are in the same boat as I am--but, where I'm from (South Jersey/Phila area) low income = more crime. Once again, not an ideal living situation for a walking target like myself.

Quote:
There is plenty of "safe,affordable housing" in the other boroughs. Or you could get a roommate.
Do you have any suggestions?

Old 09-22-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Your ability to live in a safe part of Manhattan hinges on several things:

1. Living alone, need to double your income to $60k. A $1500 studio is "entry" level to move into Upper East Side, Upper West Side, or Murray Hill/Midtown East.
This sounds like my best bet. Or staying in Jersey!

Quote:
2. Suck it up and get a roomate or 2. Split a small 1br with someone, you can probably get your rent down to $875-950....although I'm not sure you could fiscally manage that on less than $2k take home pay. Chuck the bird. If Manhattan is your dream, you'll live in cramped quarters and make sacrifices.
I know, I know. Not getting rid of the bird, though.

Quote:
3. Find a sugar daddy boyfriend arrangement. Or have mommy & daddy chip in. That's what the majority of those pr/advertising/ journalism/fashion kids do.
Hmm... Or I could just start hookin'? Kidding!

Quote:
No, the LAMP housing is not in good neighborhoods.
Thanks, that's what I thought. I just wanted to make sure before I ruled out the option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City