Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2010, 02:43 PM

70 posts, read 295,735 times

Advertisements

I am a 39 year old light skinned hispanic male. I live in the Fordham section of the Bronx, on Davidson Ave. I'm looking to move to an area that is not so grundgy and troubesome. I'm kinda tired of looking looking over my shoulder when I'm in the area or seeing crackheads, prostitutes and drug dealers hanging out in my hall way when I come home.

I'd like to move to a nice, affordable area. I can probably pay 1,000.00 per month. I work in Chelsea, so I need to be close by the subway.

Any advice you can offer would be much appreciated. I would perfer to stay in the Bronx, but I'm open to Queens as well.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 01:56 AM

69 posts, read 119,305 times
Have you considered Sunset Park or Bay Ridge? You mentioned you work in Chelsea so you could just take the N train from Sunset Park to 23rd street, etc.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:03 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
In The Bronx, for around $1k, I would recommend looking to Kingsbridge, especially above W231st and west of Broadway by a couple of blocks. The first couple of blocks to the west of Broadway can have issues, especially with people loitering outside buildings, between 230th and 231st. The downside is that the 1 train, as I am sure you know, is a local, so it would take a bit longer to get to Chelsea.

You would also be in range of Riverdale, but to facilitate a commute, you would want to look to the areas of Riverdale nearer Manhattan College that border Broadway. There can be issues with some loud Manhattan parties in some buildings, at times, but other than that, there's not a real issue in the area.

Also in Riverdale, areas that are a few minutes' walk from the subway, especially using the stair street that is W238th, from Irwin to Waldo, would open up some buildings along Waldo. Other areas of Riverdale are easier commutes via the express bus to 34th Street and then a walk or subway downtown, or taking the city bus to the 1 train at W231st.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-06-2010, 10:06 AM

I was thinking Riverdale. I grew up on Islen and went to school at JHS 141 and Kennedy HS and would love a move back. Just wasn't sure if I could afford it or not.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
Have you considered Sunset Park or Bay Ridge? You mentioned you work in Chelsea so you could just take the N train from Sunset Park to 23rd street, etc.
I don't know much about Sunset Park or Bay Ridge. Theyre both in Brooklyn, correct?

Old 10-06-2010, 03:42 PM

424 posts, read 973,573 times
/\ Both are Brooklyn neighborhoods. Sunset Park has a nice Chinatown that isn't clogged with tourists and Bay Ridge is an alright area too even though it's little bit of a commute into Manhattan.

I think Riverdale is the best choice if you want to stay in the Bronx as it's the most nice section of the Bronx and one of the prime neighborhoods in the city.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:01 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
You can easily find a decent apartment for 1,000/mo (or less) around Pelham Parkway.
It's a very safe area with a lot of stores and parks and it is on the 2 line for easy access to the West Side.A totally different world from Davidson Avenue.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:36 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniabeatle01 View Post
I was thinking Riverdale. I grew up on Islen and went to school at JHS 141 and Kennedy HS and would love a move back. Just wasn't sure if I could afford it or not.
I think that you could find something, especially if you're a little flexible as to the distance to the train and type of apartment, i.e., family building or smaller 2-3 family home.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City