Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 06:40 PM

988 posts, read 3,253,984 times

Advertisements

I have to admit, I had a bad perception of the Bronx but now that most of my properties are up there, i'm there all the time. There are some terrible parts but a lot of gems too. The people seem more down to earth and I never felt uncomfortable, day and night. I grew up in a tough area so I have thicker skin but I didn't feel threatened in its worst parts. The restaurants up there are awesome too. Of course I visited Arthur Ave, City Island, etc but the restaurants in Castle Hill are all good.

Now, if I were single(wife still has a negative perception of the Bronx, native NYer) then i'd buy a condo or co-op close to Yankee stadium or somewhere in the South Bronx. That area will be hot soon and we won't be able to afford it as the Yuppies in Harlem make their way up. In 10 years, it'll be a good area. I just wish that many of the properties on Grand Concourse were salvaged because there are some architectural gems up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 04:16 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
The one thing I love about the Bronx compared to the rest of the city is its geography. Its probably the most strategic borough. Even for me living in the tip of the south bronx, I get easy access to Manhattan and the rest of the city, access to the rest of the bronx I only live less then ten minutes from LGA by car. It seems the Bronx is the cross roads of the whole tristate area in order to get from point a to point be. I remember when Fema had a conference meeting at John Jay College a couple of years back and some one was telling me that the BRonx is the most strategic borough out of the 5. If there was an national crisis or a disaster the BRonx would be the lease affected compared to other boroughs and has easier access because its not an Island. IF there was an emergency and people had to flee nyc and long island most nyc would probably have to head uptown to the safety of the Bronx. I can never forget when the city and federal govt blocked off 138 street during 911, no cars could not get in or out.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:46 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,620,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
I I wanted to live on Staten Island, I'd move to New Jersey.

Everything you mentioned seems like reasons to move to the suburbs not the city. Personally, I think Queens does a better job of meshing City and Suburban life. I don't get that on Staten Island. You may as well live in Perth Amboy or Edison.
Why should I want to live in New Jersey, which has the HIGHEST PROPERTY TAXES in the nation?

By living on Staten Island, I get all the benefits of the City of NY, LOW PROPERTY TAXES, and at the same time, enjoy the suburban feeling and environmental greenery like New Jersey.

The home I own here on S.I. with over 3,000 square feet of living space, and a three car garage, with over a quarter of an acre of land, pays less than $4,000 yearly taxes. The same house in New Jersey will pay, according to the AREA, from $12,000 to $25,000, yearly taxes. In NYC, I have sewers, storm sewers, City of New York water, etc. In New Jersey, many, many areas do not have STORM SEWERS, or just plain sewers, and many have CESSPOOLS........................

AND it gets better than that: NYC homes are much more expensive than New Jersey, but the taxes here are low. When I sell my house, I will move with a high amount of money in my pockets, and have given much less for property taxes. In NEW JERSEY, IT IS TOTALLY THE OPPOSITE...............

Therefore, if I have to have the SMALL inconvinience of not having a SUBWAY, I can tolerate that because look what I am coming home to. And living in New Jersey, is not a piece of cake, either. Many people pay lots of money to come to work into Manhattan, and spend just as much time as, trying to get home................

Besides, having a SUBWAY can be a disadvantage for STATEN ISLAND, because it will bring all the UGLY people from all the four boroughs running here..............and before you know it, will turn into a ghetto.

Have you ever thought that maybe there is a reason why houses are expensive, and all the FOUR BRIDGES connecting Staten Island, with Manhattan, Brooklyn, and New Jersey have high tools?

Old 10-25-2010, 07:06 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,767,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
Why should I want to live in New Jersey, which has the HIGHEST PROPERTY TAXES in the nation?

By living on Staten Island, I get all the benefits of the City of NY, LOW PROPERTY TAXES, and at the same time, enjoy the suburban feeling and environmental greenery like New Jersey.

The home I own here on S.I. with over 3,000 square feet of living space, and a three car garage, with over a quarter of an acre of land, pays less than $4,000 yearly taxes. The same house in New Jersey will pay, according to the AREA, from $12,000 to $25,000, yearly taxes. In NYC, I have sewers, storm sewers, City of New York water, etc. In New Jersey, many, many areas do not have STORM SEWERS, or just plain sewers, and many have CESSPOOLS........................

AND it gets better than that: NYC homes are much more expensive than New Jersey, but the taxes here are low. When I sell my house, I will move with a high amount of money in my pockets, and have given much less for property taxes. In NEW JERSEY, IT IS TOTALLY THE OPPOSITE...............

Therefore, if I have to have the SMALL inconvinience of not having a SUBWAY, I can tolerate that because look what I am coming home to. And living in New Jersey, is not a piece of cake, either. Many people pay lots of money to come to work into Manhattan, and spend just as much time as, trying to get home................

Besides, having a SUBWAY can be a disadvantage for STATEN ISLAND, because it will bring all the UGLY people from all the four boroughs running here..............and before you know it, will turn into a ghetto.

Have you ever thought that maybe there is a reason why houses are expensive, and all the FOUR BRIDGES connecting Staten Island, with Manhattan, Brooklyn, and New Jersey have high tools?

Well, you have the best of all worlds. Enjoy it!

My list of best to worse:
Manhattan- UWS for a certain museum
Brooklyn- Carroll Gardens for being my childhood neighborhood
Queens- Holliswood for gorgeous homes
Bronx- Pelham Parkway for its diversity
Staten Island- Tottenville for having the distinction of being the furthest south you can get in NYS.

Last edited by 1nevets; 10-25-2010 at 07:20 PM..

Old 10-25-2010, 09:52 PM

749 posts, read 2,454,248 times
Queens is the best. Most diverse, nice hardworking people, best food and culture, low crime, cheap for NY, etc. If Queens wasn't what it is, I probably wouldn't live in NY.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:37 AM

46 posts, read 135,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
Bronx is located on the US mainland, and from there you can easily access a lot of places- I far prefer it to Staten Island, and while I enjoy Suburb living- Richmond County is far less desirable in nearly every way to Nassau County.

My order of living goes Manhattan, Queens, Bronx, Brooklyn, Staten Island.

I imagine Staten Island would be a TOTALLY different places if all the bridges onto and off of it were not tolled. For better or for worse, but certainly not as alienated.

U kant compare Nassau County to Richmond County(Staten Island) a borough of NYC which is much more urban then any part of LI. Don't compare a suburb 2 a borough of NYC. Thats just stupid and it doesnt make sense.. seriously.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:55 AM

No..(1nevets) cause thats NJ n no one in NY wants to live in Jersey, totally different vibe much quietier and more spaced out. You dont' have the same feeling and characteristics living in Jersey as u do in any borough of NY. Plain and simple.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
Bronx is located on the US mainland, and from there you can easily access a lot of places- I far prefer it to Staten Island, and while I enjoy Suburb living- Richmond County is far less desirable in nearly every way to Nassau County.

My order of living goes Manhattan, Queens, Bronx, Brooklyn, Staten Island.

I imagine Staten Island would be a TOTALLY different places if all the bridges onto and off of it were not tolled. For better or for worse, but certainly not as alienated.
(Grant516).. Nassau County is the suburbs, the realll suburbs.. SI a borough of NYC which is very urban compared to that area who are u kidding? and considering your in the city which in LI ur not its more expensive to have a place on the island then it is over in LI. Makes sense doesnt it?

Old 10-26-2010, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeHudson View Post
What? How many transplants are moving to the Bronx vs say Brooklyn? I'm just stating the facts. Not doing the whole Brooklyn vs Bronx. Many transplants especially young single people want to live near a subway stop since they don't own a car or cannot afford one.

Staten Island and a good portion of Queens and Northern Bronx has a suburban feel in city life. Not saying that is bad or good, but it is what it is.

A great portion of Staten Island and a lot of Queens and Bronx is not suburban. They are city and very urban compared to the rest of this country maybe cause people compare everythin too Manhatten then its kind of, not really suburban. You want the suburbs you go to NJ, Westchester or LI. That's a big difference compared to the boroughs.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:02 AM

956 posts, read 1,207,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennyboo718 View Post
A great portion of Staten Island and a lot of Queens and Bronx is not suburban. They are city and very urban compared to the rest of this country maybe cause people compare everythin too Manhatten then its kind of, not really suburban. You want the suburbs you go to NJ, Westchester or LI. That's a big difference compared to the boroughs.
Central and Eastern Queens is very suburban along with SI. You have to remember Southern Westcheser and Nassau County are like a city in themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City