Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 06:49 AM

10 posts, read 90,345 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I am thinking of moving to 103th ~ 106th st and near Lexington ave. Since I have a little dog to walk everyday, I thought the location near Central park was good for me. I am also concerned about the safety in the area. If someone could let me know any infor (park, subway, grocery shopping, post office..etc..) about the area, I would greatly appreciate. I would not walk midnight, but would walk around 7-8pm. Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 06:54 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nayomi View Post
Hello everyone,
I am thinking of moving to 103th ~ 106th st and near Lexington ave. Since I have a little dog to walk everyday, I thought the location near Central park was good for me. I am also concerned about the safety in the area. If someone could let me know any infor (park, subway, grocery shopping, post office..etc..) about the area, I would greatly appreciate. I would not walk midnight, but would walk around 7-8pm. Thank you very much!
the area is not very good

Old 02-05-2008, 07:05 AM

307 posts, read 2,507,772 times
@apvbguy: You really dont know what you talkin about.
I live on 110th. Basicly around the Corner. The area is pretty safe as long as you dont hang out inside the PJs you should be fine.

A lot of police is walking by that area. Or standing at the subway stops. So no need to worry at all!

Old 02-05-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRaZy View Post
@apvbguy: You really dont know what you talkin about.
I live on 110th. Basicly around the Corner. The area is pretty safe as long as you dont hang out inside the PJs you should be fine.

A lot of police is walking by that area. Or standing at the subway stops. So no need to worry at all!
you can't even begin to compare 103 and lex and 89 and lex, people like you are so conditioned to the bad conditions that you accept it as being normal. 103 and lex, 110 and lex is a ghetto

Old 02-05-2008, 09:58 AM

67 posts, read 319,623 times
This area may not be the like Park Ave & 65th Street for example but it is not a BAD area. I go over there for business many times - and never have any problems being white and dressed up in a suit. It is a bustling area where there are lots of people walking the streets and lots of housing and businesses.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctman1987 View Post
This area may not be the like Park Ave & 65th Street for example but it is not a BAD area. I go over there for business many times - and never have any problems being white and dressed up in a suit. It is a bustling area where there are lots of people walking the streets and lots of housing and businesses.
try walking your dog at 9pm

Old 02-05-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
try walking your dog at 9pm

What would happen tell me??? You gonna get shot??? stabbed??? Mugged??? lol..sorry sweety but you really dont know what you talkin about. Besides define 'ghetto'??? Yes it has its ghetto flair, but its nothin like how it used be. Nothing like that!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
you can't even begin to compare 103 and lex and 89 and lex, people like you are so conditioned to the bad conditions that you accept it as being normal. 103 and lex, 110 and lex is a ghetto

Of course you cant compare 89th st. with 103rd. Those are two different neighborhoods.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:44 PM

4 posts, read 30,521 times
As a native Bronxite from Soundview, I've been living in Spanish Harlem now for two years. I live on 106 & 2nd. The neighborhood is actually not all that bad as it looks and sounds. I've definitely seen worse in the Castle Hill Projects back in the 80's.

Of course any neighborhood is going to have hooligans hanging out till all hours of the night anywhere in NYC. I do have to say though, that this is one of the dirtiest neighborhoods I've ever seen in NYC. I have never seen so many people not give a s**t about their surroundings. It's no wonder people call this ghetto. From the way people talk to their kids and the way they speak, one would think everyone dropped out of grammar school or lost all kinds of tact.

The neighborhood here has most certainly changed. I can still remember this being a Puerto Rican and Black stronghold throughout the late 80's and early 90's. Not the case these days. Gentrification is definitely on the rise here. There's plenty of Mexicans in "El Barrio" that one can rename it "La Nueva Ciudad de Mexico". And I suspect that once they start fixing up those neighborhoods, they'll be headed for the border, to the south south Bronx.

I have noticed with all the newer condo towers going up (think 109th, 115th/2nd Ave) there certainly is a larger influx of white people in the neighborhood. Especially 110th and Lenox area.

If you're going to have a car, make sure you get a parking spot in a lot or put it in a garage. In a pinch to save up for a house, I parked my certified pre-owned Corolla on the street. My car was practically new 2 years ago, wanna guess how it looks now? Yeah, get the picture?? But then again, the sound of 5% interest in the bank sounded better to me than blowing 200 a month on a parking spot.

If you mind your own business and do you, you shouldn't have any problems with anyone. I'll be the first to admit, I wasn't thrilled moving down here when I was living in a real nice private house apt in Pelham Gardens, but its done the job for two years worth of saving money and pinching. Now I'll soon be on my way back to the BX to OWN my own home.

If you're looking for good places to eat, forget about it. The best your going to get is La Fonda Boricua on 106 and 3rd. Very good Puerto Rican food, a bit pricey, but its alot better than all that fried s**t they call cuchifritos up the street. Another good one is Patsy's on 115th and 1st, great pizza and good italian food. Thats as far as I go.

There are a couple of Dunkin Donuts on 3rd ave from 104th to 108th. I wouldnt recommend McDonalds on 3rd ave either, both of them are dumps.

Transportation, the 6 train is the way to go. Don't expect to get a seat. The service is typically better before 7:20am I've found, after that, it sucks.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:49 PM

There are couple of more good spanish restaurants. One calls 'El Caribeno' on Lexington and 105th st. I believe. Than 'RICARDO'S STEAK HOUSE' on 2nd ave. btwn 110th & 111th at. and a new cuban restaurant on the corner of 3rd. ave and 111th st.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:53 PM

4 posts, read 30,521 times
I've passed by RICARDO'S STEAK HOUSE' about 1000x and never thought to go in. I guess I'm too used to frequenting restaurants in the 80's and 70's.
I'll probably give it a try.

The spanish restaurant on the corner of 116th and 2nd isnt that bad either. I think its called La Nueva Caridad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City