Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 08:53 AM

3 posts, read 22,468 times

Advertisements

Hello I'm 22 and studying computer engineering right now in FL and I was wondering what the job market for women in computer engineering is like in NY? Is it hard to find a job in computer engineering? I lived in ny for a couple of years and absolutely loved it living in FL just doesn't compare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 08:57 AM

242 posts, read 493,849 times
You will not find any jobs related to computer engineering. IBM just upstate of the city might be a better bet.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:03 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,959,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe View Post
You will not find any jobs related to computer engineering. IBM just upstate of the city might be a better bet.
This is incorrect.

What is your concentration in computer engineering? If you're good with the software side in computer engineering you can find something with any finance company. I have several friends who I graduated with computer engineering degrees and have worked for Goldman Sachs, Citibank, and Lehman (before they went under). Its a fairly competitive market but if you're good with the software you definitely have a shot. And I'm not talking about jobs in the IT department either. Take a look at some of these companies and look up their software requirements that they'd like you to be knowledgable about. Good luck!

Old 04-12-2011, 10:23 AM

242 posts, read 493,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
If you're good with the software side in computer engineering you can find something with any finance company.
Of course there are tons of software jobs in this city. More jobs than developers right now. But software development is NOT computer engineering. If you want to work at the hardware level or close to metal (OS development), NYC is not the place to be.

That is like asking a mathematician to go into accounting. Can they do it? Sure, but it is not the same job.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:21 PM

115 posts, read 394,126 times
To be perfectly honest, most people with computer engineering degrees these days are really software developers, nothing more. There are a few hardcore hardware guys out there, and some really low-level OS developers, but those are few and far between.

Finance can always use good engineers.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:59 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,959,243 times
Quote:
Of course there are tons of software jobs in this city. More jobs than developers right now. But software development is NOT computer engineering. If you want to work at the hardware level or close to metal (OS development), NYC is not the place to be.

That is like asking a mathematician to go into accounting. Can they do it? Sure, but it is not the same job.
There is more out there than just software development. Finance companies need constant upgrade/maintenance to databases and the building and maintenance of networking/server capabilities...everything from the hardware to support it as well as the software. Like the previous poster said, if you know anything about computer engineering, you'll know the class curriculums can weigh pretty heavy on the software side making them just as adept as software engineers.

That analogy is is bad. Computer engineers and software engineers take many of the same classes together all throughout college not just the basic ones but many senior classes.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:33 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,674,685 times
Quote:

The hardware side is handled by EE's mostly. You are way off....Computer Engineers curriculum is very software intensive...

Old 04-13-2011, 08:47 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,250,408 times
OP, there are plenty of IT related jobs in NYC but you need to be more clear than 'Computer Engineering Jobs'. What field of IT are you looking to do specifically?

There's ton of jobs in software (ie: developer, tester), consulting (ie: professional services), management (ie: project manager), and infrastructure or security (ie: security admins, network admin, sys admins).

As for actually working on hardware development line of work, you will need to go outside of NYC. IBM is the nearest I believe in upstate NY and there's few in Long island as well. Not to mention actual production are usually done overseas.

I do have to warn you though it's not easy for recently graduated college student to get a job in NYC unless you have or had internship with one of the companies located here. NYC is not friendly place for non-NY metro area students to get tech job in city. Exception would be consulting type roles where you are expected to travel.

Last edited by babo111; 04-13-2011 at 09:01 AM..

Old 04-13-2011, 06:11 PM

3 posts, read 22,468 times
Thanks so much for your replies!! Right now I am focusing on computer networks and distributed systems.

I was also wondering since my fiance is majoring in economics and would like to get a job as a financial analyst is that doable or would it be hard since he is not a NY graduate or Ivy league student? He doesn't need to work in Wall Street.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:58 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,250,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace06 View Post
Thanks so much for your replies!! Right now I am focusing on computer networks and distributed systems.

I was also wondering since my fiance is majoring in economics and would like to get a job as a financial analyst is that doable or would it be hard since he is not a NY graduate or Ivy league student? He doesn't need to work in Wall Street.
I'd highly recommend that your fiance get focused on job experience through internships asap, if he hasn't already. Also consider getting or preparing to go after some certifications like CFA to make himself more valuable and attractive to stand out in competition. Doesn't need to get all three levels of CFA, getting to lvl 1 alone in my opinion a big step to stand out against others.

Lastly, it's very competitive in NYC. Many folks come here to try to make it. On top of that there's already plenty of local or nearby residents that's competing against you for the same opportunities...so you need much as possible to stand out. Good luck, grinding it out in NYC is very tough but it's well worth in my opinion in long run. Also you'll need to prepare to see some shocking culture difference like paying ton of money to live in tight, tight space. Like paying $2200 for 400 sq ft studio in city or $1200-1400 to roommate.

Edit: Also I recommend you start looking into certifications like MCSA, CCNA for yourself to be competitive. I'm not saying certs like MSCA, CCNA, CFA get you a job but it doesn't hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City