Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2009, 08:33 PM

12 posts, read 27,659 times

Advertisements

I am going to city college of new york and I decided to forget about business and administration as a major. I am planning on doing some kinda of engineering job, since when i was young, I was good with my hands and liked machines. I wanna know what is the safest field. What I mean by safe is, is the work dangerous? Will I get laid off? Also if you guys can give me a general idea on the salary, I would appreciate it (no experience). I rather not take a subject that they are barely hiring for. Thanks in advance

Additional notes:
City college offers: Electrical, Computer, Mechanical,and Civil engineering. They also have computer science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 08:53 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
If I could get a do-over I'd probably take civil and then mechanical. In a time long ago computer used to be a sub of electrical. Worst thing about it is you never get to be outside. CS is a dying field in the US due to outsourcing. Don't worry about salary now, just work on it until your Masters is completed.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:12 PM

12 posts, read 27,659 times
I'm not sure if I am going for my masters. I'm going for my bachelors for now

Old 06-02-2009, 08:41 AM

625 posts, read 1,149,454 times
It depends, ideally you want to get a design job in an office after college, but many young engineers choose to work more hands on in the field and they usually become better engineers in the long run, but usually design engineers are paid more and they sit in cubicles. Although they sit in cubicles, the isolation, constant eye sore from computer work, and working alongside people with no personality or social ability can be tough.

I'm a civil engineer, I though I'd be working on cool sites, but I'm always in the office doing design calculations and making sure everything fits together when they build it, doing a lot of drafting.

I'm trying to get out of the field into something more creative and along people with an OUNCE of personality.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:48 AM

625 posts, read 1,149,454 times
Oh, as far as jobs, you may want to consider civil for long term, because the population increase in the US is a 100% guarantee, however, mechanical services is not guaranteed because right now Asia is beating us on innovation and design.

"building engineers" sometimes make good money but those guys in charge of buildings are usually very experienced, and i don't think a degree is as good as apprenticeship, if that's what you want.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,271 times
I think EE would be the best one to go for as for now. I have friends who just graduated with a bachelor degree in civil engineering or architects or mechanical engineering are doing drafting now. EE now can basically take on the jobs that are related to electrical or programing, therefore in a lot of cases, companies would prefer an EE candidate over a CS candidate.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:51 PM

44 posts, read 124,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hqbreaker View Post
I am going to city college of new york and I decided to forget about business and administration as a major.
Ok, maybe you could do a MBA in the future (p/t at nite).

Quote:
I am planning on doing some kinda of engineering job, since when i was young, I was good with my hands and liked machines. I wanna know what is the safest field. What I mean by safe is, is the work dangerous? Will I get laid off? I rather not take a subject that they are barely hiring for. Thanks in advance
I'd eye Mechanical or Civil with a possible concentration or minor in Environmental Engineering, Env. Science, Transportation Engineering, or Env. sustainability.

Quote:
Additional notes: City college offers: Electrical, Computer, Mechanical,and Civil engineering. They also have computer science.
I tend to think anything computer is very outsourceable. The biggest need for engineers is to rebuild and sustain a growing and heavily worn out infastructure, thus civils and even mechanical engineers will be in biggest demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City