Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 11:02 AM

13 posts, read 57,498 times

Advertisements

I have an offer in midtown (59th & park ave) . Where should I live if I want :
1) preferably less than 50min commute
2) preferably less than 2000 rent for 2br
3) safe area.
I don't mind NJ or NY .
Is it possible to have these at all ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 09:52 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,204,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITPerson View Post
I have an offer in midtown (59th & park ave) . Where should I live if I want :
1) preferably less than 50min commute
2) preferably less than 2000 rent for 2br
3) safe area.
I don't mind NJ or NY .
Is it possible to have these at all ?
forget about NJ, that area is not easy to commute to from NJ, if you want to be within NYC, consider Astoria, Forest Hills queens, if you are willing to have a longer commute consider bayside, douglaston, little neck queens.
you could also consider westchester county but I don't know the towns you can afford, but stay away from new rochelle, yonkers or other towns on the bronx border

Old 07-07-2007, 09:59 PM

1,334 posts, read 2,994,152 times
I would look into Edgewater, New Jersey. You can take the ferry over and the shuttle bus and be there in under an hour. Less if you time it all right. Plenty of places to rent, good schools if you have kids, pleanty of shopping, ect..

Good luck..........

Old 07-07-2007, 10:14 PM

564 posts, read 1,727,141 times
Van Cortlandt Village, Bronx. The BXM3 bus takes you to Midtown in 25-40 minutes. If you'd prefer Subway, you can walk down to the 1 Station, which is but a few blocks away, and take it for 20-30 minutes. Rents range from around $900 for a one bedroom, $1200 for a 2 bedroom, and $1600 for a 3 bedroom. I live in a 3 bedroom with my family and only pay $1100, but then again, it's because my family has lived in the building for 25 years. The area is a hot spot for many ex-Manhattanites wishing to raise a family, so if you are as well, it's perfect for you. There is literally no crime or very, very little of it here. Much diversity as well, with significant Jews, Irish, Hispanic populations, and also numbers of Lebanese and Germans.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:56 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,800,049 times
Where the hell is Van Cortlandt Village? Don't tell me that is the new name for the Kingsbridge area. Kingsbridge (West of the Jerome Park Reservoir) is a sketchy neighborhood. Sketchy blocks, especially to the south. It's far from Jewish and Irish (they are the minority there these days, a small minority), more Latino and Black. Dominicans are really taking over that area.

I think we may have the wrong neighborhoods in mind though.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:59 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
Definitely forget NJ. You're working on the East side so you don't want to add a crosstown schlep to your commute! Kort677 has given you some great suggestions!

Old 07-08-2007, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Where the hell is Van Cortlandt Village? Don't tell me that is the new name for the Kingsbridge area. Kingsbridge (West of the Jerome Park Reservoir) is a sketchy neighborhood. Sketchy blocks, especially to the south. It's far from Jewish and Irish (they are the minority there these days, a small minority), more Latino and Black. Dominicans are really taking over that area.

I think we may have the wrong neighborhoods in mind though.
The very northern tip of Kingsbridge Heights. And unless you too are living there, you have no idea what the hell you're talking about. I already said a decent number of Hispanics live here, and especially around Giles Place they are the majority (not by a big distance), but go around Orwell Avenue and those almagamated areas and it's rare you find anybody not a Jew or on a lesser note, Irish.

Here's a good article on the neighborhood: Thriving on a Strong Sense of Self - New York Times

Last edited by Freak; 07-08-2007 at 08:54 AM..

Old 07-08-2007, 08:54 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,800,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
The very northern tip of Kingsbridge Heights. And unless you too are living there, you have no idea what the hell you're talking about. I already said a decent number of Hispanics live there, and especially around Giles Place they are the majority (not by a big distance), but go around Orwell Avenue and those almagamated areas and it's rare you find anybody not a Jew or on a lesser note, Irish.
Really so I have no idea what the hell i'm talking about.

According to this, only the northern tip of Kingsbridge is dominantly White. 3/4ths of Kingsbridge, from the south up are dominantly Hispanic. Never been to the northern parts on foot so I can't comment. What I can comment on is the lower parts and there are sketchy blocks here and there. The lower part is where the drug blocks are, just north of Kingsbridge Road (Kingsbridge Heights to real estate). Then you have a huge highrise public housing project building, Fort Independance, smack in the middle of the neighborhood. The Dominicans will soon take over the White pocket north of the reservoir (only the northern tip of "Van Courtland Village" is majority White). In time. I'm sure it's an okay area right now, but it's future is in question (the northern tip "Van Courtland Village").

And don't bother posting NY Times REAL ESTATE articles. Those are full of ****.

Last edited by Hustla718; 07-08-2007 at 09:04 AM..

Old 07-08-2007, 08:59 AM

Why? You yourself just said there are many Whites living in the northern tip. It's true. The southern areas of Kingsbridge lost many (not all) White people in the 70s and 80s. VCV held itself through and is actually attracting White People from Manhattan looking to raise families. They're increasing just as fast as any other group.

Check out the article I gave you above.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:00 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
From what I hear that's a nice neighborhood (Van Cortlandt), so what if its mostly Hispanic? There are no nice Hispanic nabes in the city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City